See total time when editing music?

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related
Bill Ludwig

See total time when editing music?

Postby Bill Ludwig » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:49 am

When in the 'Edit fades and Timing' screen, all I see is the music clip time. I would also like to see the overall movie time. Am I overlooking it?

Thanks,

- Bill

Captcurt

Postby Captcurt » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:57 am

I don't think so.

I looked as well..it seems such a natural thing to want to use.

Would make a nice switch. clip time or show time.

Curt

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:00 am

Except they have no way of knowing how your clip applies to the total
show -- you may be planning on overlapping by 10 seconds on the end
or something. Clip time makes sense, show time has too many variables
to be able to calculate it from what you are doing to the clip (try and
define the requirement for writing the code to determine the total time
based on clip time).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Bill Ludwig

Postby Bill Ludwig » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:32 am

It just seems like you should be able to put your timeline whereever you want it, then go to 'Edit fades and timing', and see that same position on the clip.

- Bill

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:42 am

It just seems like you should be able to put your timeline whereever you want it, then go to 'Edit fades and timing', and see that same position on the clip.

The only way of doing that is to press the TAB key and enter the Timeline Mode. There you can manipulate your fades and volume and see your slides by pressing the Ctrl key while your mouse pointer is on the soundtrack. However if you are refering to actual "video" then I do not know how you would do that in Gold.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Captcurt

Postby Captcurt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:01 am

gpsmikey wrote:Except they have no way of knowing how your clip applies to the total
show -- you may be planning on overlapping by 10 seconds on the end
or something. Clip time makes sense, show time has too many variables
to be able to calculate it from what you are doing to the clip (try and
define the requirement for writing the code to determine the total time
based on clip time).

mikey

Well..the software should know since the clip has to be in the show already. Wherever it is, the show knows it.

Whatever the current position is.

It isn't really any different than what shows on the tab version of the timeline except you could listen to the track as you adjust it.

My opinion is they should have someone use an audio editor like Cooledit/Audition for a while to see what a good audio editor is like. This is an area where the program really lacks. Not overall functionality, but fine points. For example, why do you always have to listen to the track from the beginning. Why wont it play a segment?

Perhaps I'm missing something--just MHO.

Curt

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:57 am

Its been a while since I used GOLD but in producer there is a START HERE button within the Edit Fades and Timing window. The way it works is you just left click anywhere on the waveform, then click the Start Here or Resume buttons and it will play from that point you select. You can also drag the flags at either end to a point within the waveform and press Play and adjust your fades by draging the little black squars at the bottom of either end of the wavform.

Again I don't know if this exists in the new Gold versions.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

Captcurt

Postby Captcurt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:10 am

hardsoftware wrote:Its been a while since I used GOLD but in producer there is a START HERE button within the Edit Fades and Timing window. The way it works is you just left click anywhere on the waveform, then click the Start Here or Resume buttons and it will play from that point you select. You can also drag the flags at either end to a point within the waveform and press Play and adjust your fades by draging the little black squars at the bottom of either end of the wavform.

Again I don't know if this exists in the new Gold versions.

Ben

Thanks Ben:

I'll check, maybe I missed it.

EDIT:

Yes..that is exactly how it works in PSG also...but that changes the clip length. What I was refering to was after you have a clip the correct length, with the fades all set, just being able to preview the end fadeout for instance. Currently, the only way to hear the end fade is to play the entire clip--or move the beginning point .

Again, not a major thing, but an annoyance if one is used to working with a real audio editor.

Perhaps I'll be more satisfied after the new machine is running and I can select Cooledit as my default audio editor.

Curt

Nice show, BTW--Congrats. I'de like to get one up on the sharing site but haven't gotten the music licensing thing worked out yet.

Curt

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:38 am

Currently, the only way to hear the end fade is to play the entire clip--or move the beginning point

Thanks for watching the show Curt.

Now about the end fade, try this, if you want to preview a fade out that you just created, simply double left click on the waveform to the left of where the fade is supposed to start and click the RESUME. button. You don't have to listen to the whole clip.

Ben

Return to PSG - General Discussion