So much information....so little space in my head.

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related
reeselite

So much information....so little space in my head.

Postby reeselite » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:42 am

So I spent last night (into this morning) perusing every topic I could find on masks, mask templates, scrapbook, how to make masks, etc.

Here is my question.

For someone just starting out, and who hopes to make shows not only for myself, but for my friends, family and maybe more. Once I get the basics of Gold down and want to use more backgrounds and extras, where do I go from there?

I bought the Art Explosion Scrapbook factory and there are thousands of backgrounds, borders, and frames. Can I use this in my shows? Or is it more that I should make these things on my own? I am in paralysis-by-analysis mode in terms of this and a photo editor. I have Gimpshop and Paint.net. But thinking of getting Elements. Even though all three are intimidating me. I know that I need to commit to one and get to know it.

I see all of these wonderful shows that everyone creates and I'm thinking, how did they do that?

Don't get me wrong, I have watched some great tutorials and I have learned so much, but I guess in terms of the "extras" that are used, do you all make them yourselves? Is my scrapbook CD with all of the layouts and graphics OK to use?

Once Choice Backgrounds are back up, I would love to get the Heritage Scrapbook.

I'm going to have to decide on an editor today. So far, for minor fixes I am using Picasa.

--reese

BethS

Postby BethS » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:54 am

Hi Reese,

Welcome.

I use scrapbook factory here and there in most of my shows. Some graphics I find on the net. I have made my own masks and used some that others post. There are some links all over the place. Just type what you are looking for in the search box here and I can almost promise you that there is a discussion about it.

Oh, and I have Elements 5 and 6. Personally I think 5 is easier to use. I used powerpoint to create a bunch of masks.

Beth

reeselite

Postby reeselite » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:18 pm

Thanks so much Beth, I appreciate it. I had searched for the word scrapbook in every open discussion and there were just a few topics, but you answered my question.

I think I am going to try Elements.....I'll let you know if I have any hair left by the end of the week. :)

Thanks again.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Whoa... there... s l o w d o w n a bit :) By the sound of it, you're about to let yourself get overwhelmed! Figuratively anyway, take a deep breath and remember -- this is supposed to be fun!

For someone just starting out, and who hopes to make shows not only for myself, but for my friends, family and maybe more. Once I get the basics of Gold down and want to use more backgrounds and extras, where do I go from there?

Where ever you want? A really good show doesn't need to be complicated--it needs a good story and good pictures. Everything else is extra -- useful but not essential and typically, most useful in small quantities. In my opinion, it's far too easy to overdue the extras and that can be distracting. Unless you're doing an art piece, the focus of the show shouldn't be stolen by all these other things. Masks, frames, clever backgrounds, etc, etc, all have a place but the best shows I've seen used few and sometimes none at all. Granted, these things can really add polish to a show and make a good show better but they're not the show so use them like spices in fine food--a little bit of this and a dash of that.

I bought the Art Explosion Scrapbook factory and there are thousands of backgrounds, borders, and frames. Can I use this in my shows? Or is it more that I should make these things on my own? I am in paralysis-by-analysis mode in terms of this and a photo editor. I have Gimpshop and Paint.net. But thinking of getting Elements. Even though all three are intimidating me. I know that I need to commit to one and get to know it.

Don't know anything about that product but if the files are a standard graphic format, then yes you can probably use them. Try it and see--can't hurt anything and you'll begin to see how you can use these resources.

As for the editor--ask yourself what you really need or want. Yes, PSE is a great product, I've got it and like it. The others have their own fans and any of them will do what you need. But all of them can be intimidating to start with (to me for sure!) unless you've used full fledged graphics editors a lot. Probably 90% of the editing I do doesn't need anything that powerful and any number of simpler programs would do just fine, in fact I keep Picasa and Irfanview on my desktop for that very reason--they lack the power but they're easy to use. Full editors like PSE, GIMP, Paintshop Pro, etc. are an essential for some things and they will repay the investment of time to learn them--but they that investment is an upfront necessity or they're just be frustratingly in the way when you use them.

Anyway--my suggestion would be to step back and take things a step at a time and enjoy it! :D

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

reeselite

Postby reeselite » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:41 pm

You must have heard me hyperventilating. :)

I was very overwhelmed for a little bit this weekend......thinking "I'm not doing enough! I must learn more! Surely I am not doing enough!"

But I agree with what you said....

Picasa has been my editor of choice.....I guess I just thought that I was supposed to get something more....MORE.

But I'm calm now. I'm working on a demo show and I will keep the KISS mantra in my mind.

Keep It Simple....Sweetie.

and keep it fun.

Thanks for talk.....I needed it.

reese

Return to PSG - General Discussion