Should I upgrade to Producer

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related
larc4

Should I upgrade to Producer

Postby larc4 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:14 am

I currenly use Gold 2.6.

I am not a computer geek, so I am wondering if Producer would be to complicated for me.
(Price is not the issue, frustration would be!!)

I want to upgrade to Producer mainly for the layers application, but also caption & opacity settings.

I am pretty proficient in Gold, and make DVDs without problems.

Thanks for you input!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Should I upgrade to Producer

Postby DickK » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:44 pm

larc4 wrote:I currenly use Gold 2.6.
I am not a computer geek, so I am wondering if Producer would be to complicated for me.
(Price is not the issue, frustration would be!!)
I want to upgrade to Producer mainly for the layers application, but also caption & opacity settings.
I am pretty proficient in Gold, and make DVDs without problems.
Thanks for you input!

First you don't need go to PSP for layers, that's in PSG version 3 and up. As to the PSP vs. PSG choice, there are a fair number of other threads here on this topic and it will repay the effort to look them up, here are a couple:

http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewt ... rade#31712
http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewt ... rade#32092

From one of those I'll just repeat what I said then:
Without knowing more specifically what you're looking for it's hard. Keeping mind that I'm using the Gold version and know Producer only from playing with the demo version and "listening" to folks here, my thoughts:

Consider PSP if
-- You're an experienced video editor, you'll be happier with the greater control
-- Have a lot of experience with digital photography and image editing (you're an experienced PhotoShop user)
-- You have the time (lots of hours) to invest in learning the slide show software
-- Slide shows are something you'll do many of for years to come
-- You want to make doing slide shows a business or part of one
-- I gotta have the best and I'm willing to pay for it (in $ and time)

Consider Gold, if
-- Price matters, you'll get all the capabilities you need to do great shows but invest a lot less money
-- You've not used slide show software and/or video editing software before (or very little)
-- You can afford or want invest a few hours to learn the program
-- Slide shows are going to be something you'll do occasionally and never as a for-profit operation
-- I want a nice tool that's a balance of capability and ease of use

Like I said, I'm a very happy PSG user and tho' I've thought about upgrading I probably won't. Yes, there are a quite few things that you can do in PSP that PSG doesn't offer but very few indeed that I've really had a need for and not many I even had a want for after making 10-15 shows over the last year. Also keep in mind that if you get PSG and later discover you want/need to move up PhotoDex offers a discount on the upgrade.

One other thing you can do is look at some of the shows in the sample sections here, especially for Gold. You may be surprised to see just what can be done with it--it's a lot. And in my opinion, the best shows in either section are more a reflection of the imagination and skill of the user than which software package was used.

And of course, "your mileage may vary." Smile

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Barbara_K » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:42 pm

I'm a Gold user also. My thoughts are pretty much the same as Dick's. Although most people who have upgraded to Producer are very happy with their choice, I have no real interest in upgrading to Producer at this time. The features added in ProShow Gold v.3 were enough for me and many of the features of Producer are reproduceable by using work-arounds.

Since you're concerned that Producer may be too complicated I would highly recommend downloading the trial version and just playing with it and trying out all the features. You said you're pretty proficient with Gold so I'm sure you could also conquer Producer but only you can tell if Producer would be too frustrating for you.

Barbara

Postby Jerry Cole » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:47 pm

Although I use PSG, and do not see a change in the near future, I am very interested in PSP. I have done about 25 shows using PSG, and after every one of them I have found a new way to expand the things that I can do with the program. Some of the things that others can do in PSG is amazing.

I think Dick's parameters are excellent. I know that I am not ready yet. I must admit that the opacity, and caption control issues are intriguing, and If PSG did not have layers I would probably want to go with PSP.

For now, I am as happy as a pup with two tails!

Jer
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

From a PSP user...

Postby alcain » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:46 am

Am I happy with PSP? You bet! But do I use all of the features it offers? - hardly. As a matter of fact, most of my shows, and most of the effects I use could just as well have been done in PSG. Why do I use PSP? ... It's a personal issue. I have always believed that you get what you pay for. I have figured out over my (many) years as a professional photographer and toymaker that your tools can make you or break you. That's why I shoot Nikon DSLR's and the tools for my woodworking are of the best quality. Sure, cheaper, less robust tools may get the job done, but as a professional... I have to ask, will they get the job done as well? Some of my Mechanical Wooden Toys sell for as much as $1000 each, and I have pieces in Museums all over the world (Including the National Museum, Seoul, South Korea). I have to be able to count on my tools to give me the "edge". PSP ansd PSG are "tools". Even though I do not often use the advanced features of PSP, they are there for me - there to give me the professional "edge" I may just need for an important show. I guess it's all about your goals...

Blesings, ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Return to PSG - General Discussion