How do I learn?

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related
mayva

How do I learn?

Postby mayva » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:11 am

I have just a simple question.

How do I learn to use PSG beyond the basics?

Why isn't there anything out there (or is there?) that will teach you how to do proper timing, movement etc.
How did you all learn it?

I want to upgrade to Producer but if I can't get Gold down pat how in the world will I ever learn Producer (although there seems to be more tutorials for Producer rather then Gold)

Thanks for letting me vent a little.... :)

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:25 am

Well, partially, because there is no "right answer" as far as
timings and things go. Look at the shows people post here, see what
others say. See what works and what doesn't. In general, only
use a couple of transition types -- that said, there are those shows,
where using 20 different transitions in the show is appropriate.
As the Digital Juice show on "punctuation" pointed out, in general,
transitions should be "transparent" in that they should support
the show but not be obvious. There are some that are commonly
accepted with special meaning -- the "wavy disolve" for example
often is used to portray "dreams" or thinking of things that happened
in the past etc. In many ways it is like photography -- there are
all sorts of tutorials on F-stops, exposure, flash, photoshop actions
etc, but it requires your artistic creative mind to make it work.

If you have particular questions about shows you have viewed, ask
and people will try and help but there is no set of "rules" (or tutorials)
that say how you should put a show together - only guidelines.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Jerry Cole » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:29 am

Mayva,
You are here ....I think that is the best way.

Watch the shows and read the comments. Ask questions of the authors. There are some real experts on this board, they may differ in the ways that they do things, but they will all add to your treasure chest of ideas.

Experiment, play and just have fun with PSG.

Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

mayva

Postby mayva » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:07 am

Thanks Mikey and Jerry I kind of figured it was basically trial and error.

Ok, let me start with these two things (if you don't mind) that I am kinda stumped on

After a little motion and zoom of a photo how to I get it to stay there for a bit before moving on to the next slide
and
How do I get one picture to fade and another to appear on the same slide. (side by side)

I have playing with these ideas for a while but just can't get it. I have viewed many of the shows here and find them fantastic. I like movement. It's not so much the transitions but panning, zooming etc. Not a lot understand but just enough to give it some life. The plain sit there in your face shows I can do, but, I like it a little more exciting then that. You know what I mean?

Mikey: I did view that video on punctuation and if did make a lot of sense.

Anna

BethS

Just Play!

Postby BethS » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:09 am

I have been working with this program for a couple of months and just love it. Probably because I love to play. Don't be afraid to try something or just click around and see what happens. There are so many options. Maybe not as many as with producer but certainly alot. And do look at the shows others have posted. Then if you see something in particular that you want to learn you can ask the show maker directly. These are truly the nicest most helpful people I have ever "met." Everyone is here to help and answer questions.

Have fun!

Beth

Postby Jerry Cole » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:23 am

Anna,
As far as your first question, I like to use 2 or three slides to do this:

1. original slide - No motion (whatever time you want)
2. transition "cut" 0 seconds
3. duplicate slide (whatever motion you want)
4. transition "cut" 0 seconds
5. Triplicate slide (whatever length you want a still image)

Play with it with your own timing, and with/without beginning with a "No Motion" slide ....

I'm not sure about your second question, have to think about that one for a while. I'm a relative newbie myself.
Hope this helps.
Jerry
San Diego Guy

mayva

Postby mayva » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:43 am

It sure does help Jerry Thanks so much..........now see that is what I am talking about I had not idea that you needed to use a few slides to get that effect. I will try it this evening but I got a hunch it will work just fine... :)

Beth
Thanks for your words of encougement.

Anna

macman2006uk

Beyond Basics

Postby macman2006uk » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:11 am

Hi Mayva:
Why not check this out at Davro Digital, I bought this DVD PSG 3.0 video tutorial early this year and thought it was a excellent help.
But also you will learn lots from these guys at ProShow Enthusiasts, has also been great help to me since joining.

http://www.davrodigital.co.uk/productca ... product=93

John Mac
Newcastle on Tyne
UK
09/August 2007
19:10 GMT

Postby Jerry Cole » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:54 am

Anna,
One thing I forgot to mention.... make sure that the last slide has the same movement specs that you finished with in the prior slide, i.e. If you used a zoom to 150, make sure that both the start and finish of the last slide are at 150.

The same would go for a pan, rotate, etc. Also play with the buttons that let you copy to next slide, etc.

Jerry
San Diego Guy

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:00 am

Anna

For your second question.

Slide 1 double click on the slide and select the 'motion' tab, using zoom and pan fit the picture to, say, the left hand side of the slide.
Copy this slide to slide 2
Holding down the CTRL key 'drag' your second picture to slide 2. Using zoom and pan again, position this picture to the right hand side.
Have the transition between slide 1 & 2 set to 'A/B fade'.
Playing this will give one picture, fading to two side by side. Works best with 'portrait style photos.
If now you copy slide 2 to slide 3 and add a third layer (CTRL drag), position (zoom and pan) this over the first picture to the same size and position you will have ... slide 1 one picture, fade to slide 2, two pictures side by side, fade to slide 3, the first picture replaced by another.
On slide 3 you can of course delete the first picture layer once the substitute picture has been aligned.

An easy way to ensure alignment when replacing photos with another is to use a mask. This thread, although now old, will help http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?t=262

If you have questions come back to us.

Brian

Postby Jerry Cole » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:04 am

Thanks Brian,
I came up with the same way after thinking about it for a while .... I usually get there, but it takes me a while (like some other things!).
Jerry
San Diego Guy

Postby nannybear » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:28 am

Welcome to the forum and as you can see there no limit to the help you will get if you just ask the question. Just be specific, include a link to a show if that is where you saw something you would like to do, and ask away. As you learn, you will pay it forward by helping other newbies who come to learn. Blessed be!! cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

mayva

Postby mayva » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:24 pm

Thanks Everybody I sure do appreciate all your help and encouragement.

John Mac...Thanks for the heads up about the video I will certainly look into that.

Brian...Thanks for the step by step that certainly will help a lot, also for the link to the tutorial.

Anna

Return to PSG - General Discussion