setting the speed of the captions

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related
camerashy

setting the speed of the captions

Postby camerashy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:41 pm

I have created a slide with text and have used the Fly in to 'Pan Up' The slide time has been set to 10 seconds.
When I play the slide the text shoots in really quickly and then (obviously) stays there for the rest of the 10 seconds.
Is there any way that I could have the text slowly move up from the bottom (so that people can read it as it moves up) then stop in the centre of the slide for a given period of time.
Appreciate any help.
Dave

Esteemed Member

Postby nantory » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:58 pm

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but on the fly in, do pan up - on normal do slide up - on fly out do none.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:42 pm

To do what you want I'd do it on two slides -- the second is a copy of the first except that the caption is static on the second one. Set the time for the slide to whatever you need. The first slide does the scroll of the caption and it's time will control the pace of the pan.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Barbara_K » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:09 pm

The only way I've found to get the slow pan up is to create my text in Photoshop and save it as a PNG with a transparent background. In PSG no matter how long you set the slide time the caption timing is the same--too fast for me. I think you can set caption timing in Producer but unfortunately not in Gold.

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:34 pm

Barbara's right, of course, what I said implied the timing of the caption pan would be controlled and that's not the case. So combine her comment with mine about the second slide and you can do what you want if you want to control how fast the text pans as well as how long the static picture + text is then visible.

Sorry for the potential confusion--thanks for catching it Barbara!

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

camerashy

Postby camerashy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:12 am

Thanks for all your responses.
Barbara has 'hit the nail on the head' in that no matter how long you set the slide time the caption timing pans into the slide too fast for me.
For example if I set the slide time to 10 seconds the caption pans in within the first 2 seconds, I wanted to slow this panning in down - to say 6 seconds - so that you could read the text as it pans in.
Dick, I may be wrong (newbie here) but I dont think your suggestion about doing it on 2 slides will work because the caption would already be in the first slide and its the control on the first slide that I was after....but then again, I may be just having another Senior Moment!!
Thanks again
Dave

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:10 am

Okay, after having added way too much confusion here, let's see if I can untangle this.

Originally you asked about slowing the rate at which a caption scrolled and then holding the caption+image slide on screen for a controlled time. For the first, you use Barbara's idea of putting the caption text on another image: you'll have the text as a 2nd image layer and use the motion controls to get the effect of the pan-up. In that case, the time-on-screen setting controls how fast the motion will go--which is what I thought you wanted, to be able to slow the pan of the text. Then to get the second part of what you wanted--having the image remain on screen for a period you control--you'd have the 2nd slide which is a copy of the first as it ended--and set the time for whatever time you need the hold to be. (That's what I meant by combining Barbara's comment with mine.)

But you are right, if you stick with having the text as a caption then you don't need the 2nd slide (but you also can't control how the caption behaves as well).

After I added way too much confusion, I hope that's clearer at this point.

Dick

camerashy

Postby camerashy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:38 am

Hi Dick - many thanks for your detailed explanation, I understand the points you are making and appreciate your time.
Dave.

Mike S.

Re: setting the speed of the captions

Postby Mike S. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:10 pm

camerashy wrote:Is there any way that I could have the text slowly move up from the bottom (so that people can read it as it moves up) then stop in the centre of the slide for a given period of time.

The other posters already answered your question but here's a step-by-step procedure in case you are still having difficulty.

1. Create one screen of text using your photo editing software. It should have a transparent alpha background. Save it as a .PSD, .PNG or 32 bit .TGA file, all of which preserves the tranparent alpha channel. Name it MYTEXT.PNG for instance.
2. In PSG, create two slides with the same background with a 0.0 sec cut transition between them. Make the duration of slide-1 seven seconds and the duration of slide-2 four seconds.
3. Drag the MYTEXT.PNG file to slides 1 and 2.
4. Playing both slides now should show your text centered over the background for 11 seconds with no visible change when going from slide-1 to slide-2.
5. Double click slide-1 to bring up the slide options window for it. Click the motions icon on the left side to bring up the two motion windows.
6. Since MYTEXT is the only layer, it will automatically be the active layer.
7. In the left motion window, drag the text down until it is off screen. Make sure the horizontal displacement value for the left window is zero. The vertical displacement value will be whatever you moved the text down to.
8. Playing now should scroll the text up to the center of the screen slowly in 7 seconds. Then the text remains stationary in the center of the screen for 4 seconds.
9. Adjust the duration of slide-1 for the speed of text scrolling you want.

Mike S.

camerashy

Postby camerashy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:07 am

Thanks, Mike, that's great, appreciate your detailed reply.
Cheers
Dave

ngutman

Postby ngutman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:26 am

I have the same problem... so how to do that in PSG2.5 which I think has no layers?
Nathan

DickK wrote:Okay, after having added way too much confusion here, let's see if I can untangle this.

Originally you asked about slowing the rate at which a caption scrolled and then holding the caption+image slide on screen for a controlled time. For the first, you use Barbara's idea of putting the caption text on another image: you'll have the text as a 2nd image layer and use the motion controls to get the effect of the pan-up. In that case, the time-on-screen setting controls how fast the motion will go--which is what I thought you wanted, to be able to slow the pan of the text. Then to get the second part of what you wanted--having the image remain on screen for a period you control--you'd have the 2nd slide which is a copy of the first as it ended--and set the time for whatever time you need the hold to be. (That's what I meant by combining Barbara's comment with mine.)

But you are right, if you stick with having the text as a caption then you don't need the 2nd slide (but you also can't control how the caption behaves as well).

After I added way too much confusion, I hope that's clearer at this point.

Dick

Mike S.

Postby Mike S. » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:19 am

ngutman wrote:I have the same problem... so how to do that in PSG2.5 which I think has no layers?
Nathan

Just follow the procedure I posted and it should work. Earlier versions of PSG do have "one" layer that can have alpha channel transparency.

Mike S.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:22 am

Nathan

You have me thinking back. In effect in PSG 2.5 you have two layers. One of these is the background over which you can place the .png text file. Your picture being on the background.

Brian

ngutman

Layers in 2.5

Postby ngutman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:46 pm

I made PSG two blank slides which have a blue background. I prepared the MYTEXT.PNG file with a transparent background but it shows up in PSG 2.5 as text on a white non transparent backround so it covers completely the blue background. Somehow the transparency of MYTEXT.PNG is lost.
So what am I doing wrong?

Mike S.

Re: Layers in 2.5

Postby Mike S. » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:32 pm

ngutman wrote:I made PSG two blank slides which have a blue background. I prepared the MYTEXT.PNG file with a transparent background but it shows up in PSG 2.5 as text on a white non transparent backround so it covers completely the blue background. Somehow the transparency of MYTEXT.PNG is lost.
So what am I doing wrong?

I seem to remember having that problem with .PNG files before, now that you mention it. Try Photoshop .PSD files or if you don't have PS, try 32 bit TGA files.

Mike S.

Next

Return to PSG - General Discussion