setting the speed of the captions

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related
ngutman

Postby ngutman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:24 pm

I tried a PSD file which definitely had a transparent background when opened in Elements or PainShop Pro.
When draged onto a PSG slide it covered the blue PSG background with black.

Mike S.

Postby Mike S. » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:42 pm

ngutman wrote:I tried a PSD file which definitely had a transparent background when opened in Elements or PainShop Pro.
When draged onto a PSG slide it covered the blue PSG background with black.

I've never had any problems using .PSD alpha files in PSG or PSP.

- When you open your .PSD file in PSE, how many layers do you see in the layer's pallette? You should only see one layer.

- The actual display of the layer in PSE should show the checkerboard pattern for the transparent areas.

If you're still having problems, if you post your step-by-step procedure in PSE for creating your layer with alpha channel, we might be able to spot something.

Mike S.

ngutman

Postby ngutman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:43 am

Just to remind... I am using PSG2.5.
I see only one layer, Text layer, in the layers pallette. The actual display is my text on a transparent, checkerboard, background.
How I made it.
File>New>Blank File. Background contents Transparent.
A checkerboard, transparent display. Layer 1.
Used the text tool to enter text on the transparent background Layer changes to T.
Saved as Mytext4.psd.
Tried to drag it onto a blank slide in PSG2.5 but am only able to insert it as another slide besides the blank slide not on top of the blank slide. So either 2.5 does not work that way or I am doing something wrong in PSG.
I could email you the Mytext4.psd file so you can see exactly what I did.
Thank you for your infinite patience helping me.
Nathan

Postby Barbara_K » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:09 am

Nathan,

After inserting your PSD file in PSG click on the background tab and change your background color or insert an image as your background. Your text should then be visible in front of the new background. PSG 2.5 does support transparencies so if it's still not working for you the problem is with the text file created in Photoshop Elements.

Barbara

Mike S.

Postby Mike S. » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:52 am

ngutman wrote:Just to remind... I am using PSG2.5.

PSG2.5 does support one layer with alpha channel transparency. Each photo you drag on to the slidelist (one photo per slide) is actually a layer that supports transparency. In summary there are two layers. One is the background layer which can be a solid color or an image that you select. Normally the background layer is black by default. Second layer is the photo you drag on to the slidelist. Do you know how to change the background layer to any color or any image?

I see only one layer, Text layer, in the layers pallette. The actual display is my text on a transparent, checkerboard, background.
How I made it.
File>New>Blank File. Background contents Transparent.
A checkerboard, transparent display. Layer 1.
Used the text tool to enter text on the transparent background Layer changes to T.
Saved as Mytext4.psd.

Your method of creating the text layer with transparency is valid. But it can be hard to see lighter colors like gold over the profuse checkerboard pattern. The way I like to create text layers with transparency is to:

1. Set the foreground color to my desired text color. (say gold)
2. Set the background color to a contrasting color. (say black)
3. File > New > Image size = 800x600 > Contents = Background color. (I use 800x600 since my output is intended for DVDs which use 720x480 screen size. Use the appropriate size for your intended output.)
4. Create my text. Very easy to see the gold text over the black background color. Have two layers at this point, the black background layer and the text layer.
5. After the text is the way I want it, I drag the background layer to the trashcan. I'm left with only one layer which is the text layer over the checkerboard pattern.
6. Save it as mytext.psd

Tried to drag it onto a blank slide in PSG2.5 but am only able to insert it as another slide besides the blank slide not on top of the blank slide.

Hold the ctrl key down while you drag and the text layer will go on top of the blank slide. Note that it is not necessary to create a blank slide first. Just drag the text layer to the slidelist and it will automatically create a new blank slide and put the text over it. Then change the background layer of that slide to any color you want or to any image you want.

So either 2.5 does not work that way or I am doing something wrong in PSG.
I could email you the Mytext4.psd file so you can see exactly what I did.

Let's do it the other way around. I'll email you a known working .psd text layer with transparency. Then if you still have problems you will know it is something with your "installed" copy of PSG. You might have to do a reinstall if that is the case. What's your email address?

Thank you for your infinite patience helping me.
Nathan

You're very welcome. Keep posting and we'll get it working.
Mike S.

ngutman

Postby ngutman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm

Reinstalled PSG 2.5.1635. Did everything as you suggested. Have mytext4.psd gold text on trasparent background.
In PSG file list it shows up as gold text on black background. Going to slide options and set the background to blue and am supposed to see gold text on blue but still get gold on black as if PSG does not recognize the transparency.
When I go to Motion Effects and move the black image around I can see the blue background underneath. It is just that the black is not transparent.
So where am going wrong here?

ngutman

Postby ngutman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:20 pm

What is the exact version of PSG that you are using? I am afraid that version 2.5.1635 does not support transparencies.

Postby Barbara_K » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:36 pm

Nathan,

I think you may be right. I thought transparencies were supported in version 2.5 but now I seem to recall that they weren't supported until version 2.6. Does the "Help" file in version 2.5 mention transparencies?

Barbara

Mike S.

Postby Mike S. » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:53 pm

ngutman wrote:What is the exact version of PSG that you are using? I am afraid that version 2.5.1635 does not support transparencies.

My bad. I think Barbara is right about transparency support starting in PSG 2.6. I'm using the latest version of 3.0. Even if you have to pay for an upgrade, going to version 3.0 with multiple layers is so worth it.

Sorry for the bad info,
Mike S.

ngutman

Postby ngutman » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:15 am

Version 2.5.1635 does not support transparencies. The Help file doesn't even mention it. It is possible that version 2.5.4630 supports transparencies but I don't see it anywhere. I make slide shows only two or three times a year so I can not justify spending more money on software. I will try to stay with what I have or go the freeware route.
Thank you all for trying to help.
Nathan

rosie

rolling credits

Postby rosie » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:52 pm

I hope I am not too late but I was just reading your quesion about rolling your text up. this is the way I do it and works great!!
Rolling Credits: Fly in: use Fade in
Normal: Pull Pan Up
Flyout: none
Then set the timing depending on how long the credits are and how slow you want it to roll

then type what you want and depending on what I have rolling, I sometime put a space between lines.

Previous

Return to PSG - General Discussion