Bitrate for DVD files

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Bitrate for DVD files

Postby sargan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:07 am

I am using PSG to create video files which are then consolidated into final DVD along with music & commentary in a 3rd party program (Vegas)

Using custom files ... for for Blu-Ray 1920x1080 - I used mpeg2 at 60,000 Kbit and all worked fine.

I now ant to create a DVD option ........ so this time frame is 720 x 576 25fps again mpeg2 .. just looking for a guide as to what to set the Birate to .... the number of pixles is 5x less so assume I can drop the bitrate

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Bitrate for DVD files

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:31 pm

That is correct. I believe the DVD specifications tops out at 9MB, but that includes both video and audio. Also, that is the max. Most machines, especially cheaper ones can't maintain that bit rate. So most people max out somewhere between 5 - 6.5 MB and that will give you great picture quality and will work on most machines without a lot of stuttering.

Regards
-Vernon

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:34 pm

Take a look at this page ( http://www.videohelp.com/dvd ) - scroll down to the section on PAL DVD's and they list the various rates etc. One thing to be aware of is that not all media can be read at full speed in all players. I have some junk media I got years ago (only use it for simple tests) that will not even play standard rate DVD's past about the first 20% of the disk. There is also a big difference between a "burned" dvd and a "pressed" dvd - some players handle both just fine, others will handle the pressed ones without issue but a burned dvd doesn't play well at all. Also, as Vernon points out, the total data rate is a combination of the audio rate and the video rate. For NTSC DVD's, the audio is supposed to be AC3 or LPCM, however, most of the players today will handle the audio compressed with mpeg (every now and then I run into one that will not play it and you get the owner saying "nice show, but no sound?"). For PAL, I believe your are allowed to use Mpeg-1 as well for the audio (from the PAL info on the page: "One audio track must have MPEG-1, DD or PCM Audio" )

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby sargan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:44 am

Decided compression would be too much for a typical Type 5 DVD.
Went instead for DVD type 9 ... then used by DVD creation program to 'fit to disk' didn't need a huge amount of compression to fit onto 8.5GB

Video was MPEG2 and audio AC3

Return to PSG - General Discussion