Proshow psa music files try to open Time Exposures Proselect

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Proshow psa music files try to open Time Exposures Proselect

Postby dnealious » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:53 pm

I have downloaded a number of files from the new Proshow Music Library. I wanted to sort them into different sub-categories in the Tracks folder. I double-clicked on one of them to hear it and it then tried to open Time Exposures Proselect instead. Now even while in Producer and I try to play a song from the download Tracks folder, Proselect opens instead.

So I uninstalled Proselect, reinstalled Producer 7, and rebooted. Now when in Producer and click on the music file it just imports it into my show, when all I want to do is give it test listen.

So how do I get the music library .psa files to associate with Producer only. mp3 files act normally.
Don Nealious

Re: Proshow psa music files try to open Time Exposures Prose

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:48 am

Photodex's music is in a special format that can be used only by ProShow, and this is very likely what you're running into. This is done in order to protect the rights of the artists, and though that's completely understandable, it also limits somewhat how we can deal with the music--perhaps a little too much.

You might want to write Photodex directly about the problem of being able to preview the music you've downloaded. It's a truly legitimate concern they might want to look into.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby dnealious » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:49 am

I did and did not answer the question on how to get Producer back to normal. The just said you you just told me.
Don Nealious

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:53 am

Apparently, what you are running into is that Proselect is using the same file extension (.psa) as Proshow is. There is not a simple answer because no matter which way you go, you are running into the fact they both have the same extensions. You can change which opens by default fairly easily (it is a setting stored in the windows registry actually that tells windows which program to associate with that extension). Probably the easiest way is to RIGHT click one of the .psa files and select "open with" from the context menu that pops up. In the new menu you get, one of the options is "choose default program". Use that to browse to Proshow. That will set the default to Proshow, however, you are now faced with the fact that Proselect is not opening the files it wants correctly although you should be able to RIGHT click a .psa file for Proselect and use the "open with" to open it that way. I would definitely contact Photodex about the issue - I suspect that when they picked the .psa extension, they did not know anybody else was using that extension (a quick Google search did not turn up Proselect as using the .psa extension). No simple answer I can think of in this case - you have two different programs that both think that is a default file type for them (and the only thing they have to go by for that decision is the extension name).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:02 am

It didn't even dawn on me that there was software named ProSelect. I skipped right over that obvious fact, obvious only now that Mikey's post made me pay attention.

If I'm remembering correctly, nothing can play those .psa sound files other than ProShow, so now I'm wondering what will happen if it's manually chosen for playing those files.

Indeed, you should write to Photodex again, telling that the extension is already used by other software, which means that anyone with ProSelect won't be able to preview the music.

Barbara

Postby dnealious » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:22 am

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Formerly I was able to play .psa music files from "within" Producer, just as when you click on a mp3 file. In fact, mp3 files still work normally. You double click on them and they play normally, also showing the length of the track, so you can see if it's a fit for your show.

My mistake was double clicking on the .psa music file from Windows Explorer, and Windows starting looking for a program to open up and found Proselect. Even after I uninstalled Proselect (it is still uninstalled), when I double click on a .psa music file from Producer it imports the file rather than playing it.

Right now my only open is to install Producer on my other PC (they are connected), listen to the various files, select what I want, then go back to my main PC and import those. What a great work flow.

I can't be the first photographer to make this mistake. So there must be a way to fix it.
Don Nealious

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:33 am

Don, what you just described should also be described to Photodex. Given that the music library is a new thing in ProShow, they probably haven't yet hit this specific situation and so didn't know it needed a solution. For what it's worth, it sounds as if it was initially caused by Windows, not ProShow. This doesn't mean Photodex can't untangle it for you.

Barbara

Postby heckydog » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:43 pm

dnealious wrote:
. . . . .

Right now my only open is to install Producer on my other PC (they are connected), listen to the various files, select what I want, then go back to my main PC and import those. What a great work flow.

I can't be the first photographer to make this mistake. So there must be a way to fix it.

Since you have deleted Proselect, then the only software on your PC that would use a psa file is PSP7. You should now be able to follow mikey's instructions to re-associate the psa files back to PSP 7.

Joe

Postby dnealious » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:06 am

Hi Heckydog,

I did do as Mikey suggested already. But what it does is import the file into the show. That is not what I want at the time. I just want to listen to it to see if I want to import it.

i'll contact Photodex again this morning to see how to reset the pointers.
Don Nealious

Postby dnealious » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:28 am

I just talked to Photodex and they said some things were changed with the .psa files since the Music Library was introduced, so you CANNOT play the files from within Photodex without importing it. You can only "listen" in the Music Library module.

So I went back to some of the old .psa files that came with the Wedding Essentials software, and double clicked on those. Indeed you CAN just "listen in" on those files from within Producer. This method will NOT work with the new .psa files from the Music Library. You have to do your sample listening in the Music Library only.

It would be nice if you could. I was just trying to sort the files I had downloaded. That's how all this got started. Once you've downloaded a bunch of .psa files, you have no idea what they sound like, unless you go back to the library or import them. There is some nice music there, but this is certainly inconvenient.

The YouTube Audio Library is royalty free and works very well. You can sort and categorize the files to your liking and they have a very large selection, and apparently they continue to add to it. Ijust had my #2 PC just crap out. Hangs up in "starting Windows".

BTW, thanks for the previous sugeestions.
Don Nealious

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:37 am

Don, indeed it's downright inconvenient. It's possible they think they're avoiding making it easy for people to record a song and thus convert it to an MP3. I imagine a determined person could do this regardless, so maybe there's another reason for it.

Maybe at some point they'll make the library a little friendlier.

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:23 am

Hello

I use computers for a long time and have seen many types of protection.

Most of the time the honnest people encounter many problems, the editor also, but the geeks who want to crack do it, often easily...

I worked for a software editor. As that time we protected with dongles. The cost of the dongles was important, we had to replace them freely to customer when they were fired by the printer connected behind... and many other cases.

Then even if we understand that Photodex wants to protect, it's important that this allows anyway end users to work without specific problems.
Chris Marie

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:47 am

My music software has a dongle, though we have an alternative called CodeMeter, which runs somewhat like a dongle and, as far as I've been able to find out, has kept pirates dirty little hands completely off the software. Unfortunately, it will require a completely new setup if something happens to my hard drive, but at least I'll still have the dongle. If I can find it, that is.

Barbara

Postby dnealious » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:57 pm

Did not the original photodex come with a dongle? Once every one was networked and tied to the web, they could keel track of it and who was using it.
Don Nealious

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:40 am

I think it did come with a dongle, but my first version was 3, and there was no dongle. Thank goodness.

Barbara

Next

Return to PSG - General Discussion