Using file shortcuts for picture files

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Using file shortcuts for picture files

Postby CasualUser » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:23 pm

Is there a way to get ProShow Gold to recognize file shortcuts (lnk files)?

I am getting started on a show that will use use pictures from the last 15 years. My picture files are sorted into folders - a folder for each year. I would like to be able to create a project folder and then go through each of my picture folders and place shortcuts for the selected pictures that I might use into the project folder. From PSG, I would then navigate to the project folder and be able to select from the shortcuts to bring the pictures into the show.

It seems easier to sort through and gather up possible pictures in Windows Explorer rather than PSG. I'd rather not copy all the possible pictures into a project folder although that should work. I try not to have duplicates of pictures floating around - it's not really a storage issue - I'll probably select 250 pictures and then narrow down to about 100. It's just that shortcuts seem more elegant and I have the sense that it is "better practices".

I did a test (created a project folder and put a few shortcuts in there) and PSG doesn't appear to see the shortcuts (lnk files) in the project folder.

I am using ProShow Gold version 3.5 in Windows 7. (I know....it's a pretty old version. I haven't done a show in a few years. I'm not averse to upgrades; just haven't had a reason to do so).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Using file shortcuts for picture files

Postby mreinhart » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:09 am

When I work a project like that, I will copy the pictures to the "work-in-progress" folder as you indicated, rather than just copying the link.

Re: Using file shortcuts for picture files

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:46 pm

I second the "copy files used to a folder under the current project" (that also makes it easy to include those files on the DVD if you are so inclined - for example, a show for family members, it can be nice to include the original images for them if they want them.) I have never tried to make a lnk file work.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - General Discussion