How to add time to slide without changing keyframes?

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

How to add time to slide without changing keyframes?

Postby piko » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Hello,

How to add time to my slide without changing position of keyframes?

I tried to use Add Time (3s) - this added time to my slide but in fact added time to my transition out time (so I have 3s+3s+6s instead of 3s+6s+3s).
So I changed times in Slide Menu - added 3s to slide time, subtracted 3s from transition out time to get 3s+6s+3s.

But after this position of keyframes from all layers was changed in proportion to new slide time.

Re: How to add time to slide without changing keyframes?

Postby im42n8 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:16 pm

This post was made in the GOLD section ... which does NOT have any keyframes to add or adjust. With that in mind, the links below should go a long way to helping you adjusting keyframes in Producer:

https://fpvp.wordpress.com/another-set- ... move-time/
https://fpvp.wordpress.com/another-set- ... keyframes/

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby piko » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Of course, my post should be in Producer section.

Thanks for the links, I will try.

Postby piko » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:54 pm

Almost working. But almost.
Not working when keyframe is in transition out zone :/.

Postby im42n8 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:12 pm

Changing time in a transition zone (adding or removing time to/from a keyframe that resided in a transition region) changes time of the transition zone (increases or decreased the amount of time assigned to the transition region) ... and should not have any effect upon the slide time itself (time that's directly on the slide ... not in the transition in or transition out regions).

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:35 am

Because of how Producer adds the time to the transition, not the slide itself, I find the easiest way to deal with this is to temporarily set the transition to zero, make the keyframe time addition/subtraction, and then reset the transition time.

Frankly, I've never seen the purpose of adding slide time and having it automatically be added to the transition instead. If anyone can explain to me the logic of this, have at it! :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:49 am

For myself, I find it more convenient to add a temporary keyframe to the slide somewhere in the slide that's just outside the transition region. As long as it's considered in the "slide time" any added time is to the slide and not to the transition region After I add the desired amount amount of time I then remove the temporary keyframe. That way I don't have to remember what time I used for the transition region (which isn't always in whole numbers) to restore it back to its former glory.

The transition region is NOT part of the slide time ... even if it appears that way from some perspectives (as with sounds attached to the slide). The transition regions, however, are part of the slide's PLAY time (as well as the slide play time for the previous and the next slides since they share those transition regions with the current slide), not the actual slide TIME. Quirky ... sorta ... and it can be confusing at times.

So, it's just helpful to remember, I guess... that adding time to a keyframe adds time to the timeline in accordance to the region in which the keyframe resides. If the keyframe is in a region associated with "transition" ... that's where the time is added (the transition region). If it's in a region associated with the slide, that's where the time is added (to the slide region).

:D

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:08 am

im42n8 wrote:For myself, I find it more convenient to add a temporary keyframe to the slide somewhere in the slide that's just outside the transition region. As long as it's considered in the "slide time" any added time is to the slide and not to the transition region After I add the desired amount amount of time I then remove the temporary keyframe. That way I don't have to remember what time I used for the transition region (which isn't always in whole numbers) to restore it back to its former glory.

I used to do that too, but I found it easier to scribble the transition time on a scrap of paper, zero out the transition, do my duration changes, and then add back in the transition time. I wouldn't bother using transitions at all until all the slides were just as I want them, but when creating slide styles, the transition area is necessary because you don't always want the last keyframe to fall into the transition area by default, which is what happens if you don't already have a transition. If I can see the transition time in the Effects tab, I can then move the first or final keyframes so they end at, say 5 seconds, not 7 seconds if there's an outgoing transition of 2 seconds.

I know you're aware of all this, Dale, but it's possible those who are newer to the software don't, so that's why I described the process.

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:37 am

It's precisely why I described the process I did as well. . . for those who aren't as familiar with the software. Not everyone's workflow is going to be the same. However, what's "obvious" to you and me, as you know, is not necessarily so obvious to others. So, I thought I'd add another option as well as some perspective on the adding of time (which, by the way, you sort of asked for).

Besides, I have those brain-dead moments where NOTHING seems to be going right (and I stupidly push on ... not realizing what the heck is going on). So, for me, the least change I make to a slide can be helpful to me (setting the transition time to 0 has the potential to affect more things than I intend). Besides, there are those few times when I have multiple keyframes in the transition region .... and setting the transition time to 0 is not an option. This way, at least (as in adding a temp keyframe in the slide time and deleting it after its served its purpose), I'm consistent.

I have tried shows with 0 second transition times... and then, when I changed the transitions to some non-zero time, I would find the first keyframe positioned to the start of the slide time and the last keyframe located at the end of the slide time. I would have to then go to each slide and adjust the keyframes accordingly...

Dale

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:34 am

im42n8 wrote:It's precisely why I described the process I did as well. . . for those who aren't as familiar with the software. Not everyone's workflow is going to be the same. However, what's "obvious" to you and me, as you know, is not necessarily so obvious to others. So, I thought I'd add another option as well as some perspective on the adding of time (which, by the way, you sort of asked for).

Besides, I have those brain-dead moments where NOTHING seems to be going right (and I stupidly push on ... not realizing what the heck is going on). So, for me, the least change I make to a slide can be helpful to me (setting the transition time to 0 has the potential to affect more things than I intend). Besides, there are those few times when I have multiple keyframes in the transition region .... and setting the transition time to 0 is not an option. This way, at least (as in adding a temp keyframe in the slide time and deleting it after its served its purpose), I'm consistent.

I have tried shows with 0 second transition times... and then, when I changed the transitions to some non-zero time, I would find the first keyframe positioned to the start of the slide time and the last keyframe located at the end of the slide time. I would have to then go to each slide and adjust the keyframes accordingly...

Dale

Not sure what I "sort of asked for," given that I already know how to do it. :?:

I've never, not ever, had a problem doing all the initial work without transitions and then adding them in, but if I've zeroed a transition, done some fiddling with keyframes, then added the transition back in, things can certainly shift. When it comes to captions, all bets are off as to when and where they're going to do what. This is because, no doubt, those basic captions are as old as the hills and haven't been changed for years. Captions as layers just draw on all that old code.

Postby im42n8 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:51 am

You said:
Frankly, I've never seen the purpose of adding slide time and having it automatically be added to the transition instead. If anyone can explain to me the logic of this, have at it!

And, while you may have never had the problem of the keyframe latching onto the demarcation between transition and slide time, I most definitely have. Whether it was a caption or a layer, I experienced the problem if I started the slide with 0 length transitions (and which had at no time a transition time prior)... (so, I'm doing something you're not or you're doing something I'm not ... go figure!). :shock:

Dale

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:19 am

If I remember to remember, which is always an iffy thing, and if I ever have a keyframe shift out of the transition area, I'll try to figure out why and let you know what I discover. If I remember to discover it, that is. :D

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:34 am

Do that! Dummy me just shied away from it because I always had something else I was trying to accomplish. When the darned thing happened I should have tried to figure out the WHY of it ... and wrote it down. I never did. In my typical fashion, I just bulldogged it, grumbled, and moved on. I just never went back to try to figure out what the heck was at the root of the problem. And, when I had the time, I was off on some other venture or simply wasn't interested. Flighty, eh? :| :D :shock:

Dale

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:42 am

Incredible. Behind this screen and while I was babbling on about the problem never having occurred for me, there was a demo I'm working on. Wouldn't you know it, but I added time to the last keyframe, and pop! the keyframe moved to the left so that it was still set at the time it had been before adding anything. It's from a slide style where I'd set things up so that, even if an unnecessary transition is added, the objects onscreen won't be affected. To add the time, I clicked on the last keyframe, but I'll bet if I'd clicked on the keyframe just prior, the shift wouldn't have occurred. I can't currently test it, but I betcha. 8)

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:24 pm

Right, you added time to the last keyframe, a keyframe that was located inside the slide time. Time was added to the right of the keyframe (where ALL time is supposed to be added to or removed from the timeline) ... so the keyframe moves left to accommodate the added time ... but stays at the time to which it was assigned (for instance, 5 s).

Remove time from that same last keyframe and that keyframe will move right (up to the amount of time located to left of the keyframe for any time on the timeline that's associated with the slide time). If you deleted 20 seconds from that keyframe, and there's only 5 seconds of slide time left, only 5 seconds are removed (and the keyframe stays at its same time but moves right as the time is removed.

If you add time to a keyframe (A) located in the slide time but to the left of the last keyframe, that keyframe (A) remains at its set time but everything to its right is shifted right (all keyframes on all layers located to the right of the keyframe to which time was added are shifted right by the added amount of time).

Dale

Next

Return to PSG - General Discussion