Saving to USB Stick

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Saving to USB Stick

Postby rogdodge » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:09 pm

I have a slideshow that I want to give to a friend. They do not have a CD/DVD drive so I thought to send it on a USB stick for viewing on their PC and TV. I know I can drag and drop the slideshow in Explorer but I would lose the PSG formatting and would prefer to send it with menu and layout as created in PSG. I have checked the Help but cannot find anything referring to USB sticks, neither is there an option to save to USB for TV or PC when burning/saving the project. I am hoping there may be a way of doing this. Can anyone help?

Re: Saving to USB Stick

Postby cherub » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:51 pm

I'm afraid that I don't quite understand your question.
Is your friend also a user of ProShow? I mean, does he have the program installed on his computer?
Because if he doesn't, he cannot open your show.
So, your best alternative is to create a video file from your show and to put it on the USB stick. Video files do not support menus, so all he will have will be just this video that he can play on his computer or on his TV.

If your friend is in fact a user of ProShow, you need to collect your show files in a folder of your choice on your computer, and then to transfer that folder to the stick.

Hope this helps.

Postby rogdodge » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:54 pm

Thank you, cherub.
Now you have confused me. :? When I save my jpg photo slideshows to DVD I create a menu of various slideshows from which a slideshow can be selected, either on a PC or TV. My friend successfully did this in the past and he does not have ProShow. I was trying to do the same thing with a USB stick but cannot see this option. I do not want to make a video. :)

Postby cherub » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:27 am

You cannot build a menu for your shows on a USB stick, or at least I'm not aware of any program that does that. ProShow most certainly cannot do it.

Your only option is to convert each show to a video file and to copy these video files to the USB stick. That's all there is to it.

Postby rogdodge » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:00 am

That is what I wanted to know. I will look elsewhere.

Postby debngar » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:16 am

A ProShow Presenter version can be viewed on another PC by creating an output Presenter version show file and including the Presenter plug-in on the USB drive. Copy both files onto the PC. Install the Presenter. Then the show can be run via PC with a menu if it was created with a menu. The plug-in is free.

I've done this to transport shows for presenting them at other places via PC and that works ok.
Last edited by debngar on Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby cherub » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:32 am

Yeah, I forgot about the Presenter version.
But, he said that he wanted his friend to view the show on his TV. An exe file doesn't run on a TV, unfortunately.

rogdodge wrote:I have a slideshow that I want to give to a friend. They do not have a CD/DVD drive so I thought to send it on a USB stick for viewing on their PC and TV.

Postby debngar » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:42 am

A work around might be to upload the show to the user's Photodex album, then the recipient could go to the show URL, play it on the internet and Chromecast the tab to TV. It's a bit more complicated to get it to work and they would need a Chromecast device plugged into their TV though.

That is assuming the recipient has a newer TV and is savvy enough to know how to make a Chromecast dongle to work. Mine is sometimes a bit frustrating to use. O_o

Note: Control of the show menu and viewing of the show is via the computer when Chromecasting. The TV just becomes a dumb monitor but can be a more comfortable viewing environment.
Last edited by debngar on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:53 am

There are a couple of options - the first would be to render the show as a video to mp4 format which could be placed on the usb stick. That would lose any menu items since the mp4 is just a video format, but it has the advantage of being able to use higher resolution than a normal DVD and many of the newer TVs can play it direct - they even have a usb port on them. Another alternative is to create the show as normal for a DVD except render to an ISO instead (you just select create iso file from the pull down where you select your burner). The ISO is like a zip file - it is a "container" for the files that would be on the DVD. The free VLC player can then play that ISO just like it was a real DVD (you install VLC on your windows computer). VLC does have some issues with an intro that plays before a main menu if I remember correctly, but it can handle most ISO files fairly well. You need to check with your friend and see if his TV can handle a USB stick directly and if it understands mp4 (it probably does if it has a USB port on it). You lose the menu, but gain good quality video doing it that way (you could put multiple segments as separate video files on the usb stick and he can select which one to play - sort of like a menu).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby rogdodge » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:40 am

I would like to thank you all for your help.

Return to PSG - General Discussion