Transitions

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Transitions

Postby dippydooo » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi, I'm really embarrassed to ask this but how do you add a transition between clips where there is none? It's been awhile since I've used proshow and just upgraded to Proshow Producer 6. I know the wizard adds transitions but I want to add some manually. Thank you in advance.

Re: Transitions

Postby cherub » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:25 pm

Perhaps that I don't quite understand your question...

You can start a show in ProShow without using the Wizard.
On the top right of your screen choose "BUILD".

File > New Show > Blank Show > Press on Create

Notice that on the left of your screen you see the files on your computer. Browse to the directory on your computer where you know that you have your images/video clips.
With the mouse, drag and drop one of your images into the Slide List/Timeline that you see at the bottom of your screen.
Once you did that, you've created your first slide :D
Repeat this action to create an additional slide.
Notice the letters A/B in between your slides. That is a transition.
If you press on that A/B you will be presented with a menu that contains all the transitions that are installed on your computer. All you need to do is to select the one that you like.

For more information on how to work with the program, press on F1. You will be presented with the Help of the program. Read the section entitled "Getting Started".

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:18 pm

If you want to change a transition, you click the transition between the two slides and it will pop up a dialog box so you can select a different transition. See the screenshot below - that is the "timeline view", but the slide view is similar. Any time you drop a new slide on the timeline, it automatically adds a transition (if I remember correctly, it is the same as the last one used). I don't know how you could not have a transition (even 0 length) between slides.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby webcat » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:53 pm

My questions is, is there a way to like select all photos and throw a specific transition set, lets say only the motion 3d transitions on all the photos?

Postby cherub » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:43 am

webcat wrote:My questions is, is there a way to like select all photos and throw a specific transition set, lets say only the motion 3d transitions on all the photos?

You can select all the styles and the traditions in your show either with SHIFT or Edit > Select All, and then point on one of the transitions (as Mikey shows above). When you change that one transitions, all the other transitions in your show will be changed as well, since they are all selected.

Postby webcat » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:29 am

cherub wrote:
webcat wrote:My questions is, is there a way to like select all photos and throw a specific transition set, lets say only the motion 3d transitions on all the photos?

You can select all the styles and the traditions in your show either with SHIFT or Edit > Select All, and then point on one of the transitions (as Mikey shows above). When you change that one transitions, all the other transitions in your show will be changed as well, since they are all selected.

Hey thanks, I am about to try this.

Postby webcat » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:35 am

:( I see what it did, it made "each" transition the same one I clicked on. What I was really asking, I should have done better with my question, was...is there a way to add different transitions when the slides are "Select All" selected. For instance, when I just did what you suggested, it applied the Curved path 3d down to every one of the images, is there a way to choose or apply the Motion 3d Set to the slides? I hope that makes more sense?

Postby cherub » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:49 am

So you want to apply only a certain category of transitions to your show, and not the others. Sorry for not understanding at first.

I am aware of only one way of doing this - through the Wizard.
You can use the Wizard to create your own theme, that includes only the transitions and slide styles that you like. This is done by editing an existing wizard theme and saving it with a new name, of your choice.
Starting with version 6, it is possible to use the Wizard themes also after the show was created. Slide > Remix Show with Wizard; or Remix Selected Slides with Wizard.

Postby webcat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:58 am

Great! Thanks, I will try this and let you know.

Postby webcat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:33 am

Ok, so I think I am terribly confused or ignorant to the actual definitions of styles, effects and templates...transitions i get those, because I used to do video editing, and transitions are a creative way to go from one slide into the next...but I just downloaded 'Remember When’ from the free proshow page, I installed them, but they do not show up in the Wizard, or atleast I do not see a "Remember When" theme and when I "did" find them in the effects, I could only apply ONE at the time. so since I had multiple photos selected, it applied that one Remember When style to "all" of my photos...

Am I completely lost and hopeless or can I actually get an understanding of this? I thought when I downloaded the Remember when, my photos would play "EXACTLY" like their demo video played, transitions and all, that is obviously not the case is it?

Postby cherub » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:52 pm

webcat wrote:Am I completely lost and hopeless or can I actually get an understanding of this? I thought when I downloaded the "Remember When", my photos would play "EXACTLY" like their demo video played, transitions and all, that is obviously not the case is it?

No, it isn't. :D
ProShow can be a bit confusing at first, with it's multitude of effects that it provides, I agree.
So, I'll give you a very, very brief definition of each one, in the hope that it will clarify things for you.

First of all, you must be aware of the existence of an additional product named ProShow Web. As its name implies, it is an online tool that lets you create instant shows through Photodex' site.
http://www.photodex.com/proshow/web
This product also works by means of themes, and it is possible that the demo that you watched made use of "Remember When" theme inside ProShow Web. If you apply such an online theme to your pictures, your show will look pretty much like their demo. ProShow Web must be purchased as a subscription. The free version is rather limited.

Now I'm coming back to the products named ProShow Gold (the cheaper version) and ProShow Producer (the expensive and very powerful version).
ProShow is based on effects. In this category, Photodex includes:
Slide Styles - motion effects and adjustment effects that can be applied to a SINGLE slide
Transitions - motion effects and adjustment effects that can be applied BETWEEN the slides of your show
Themes - pre-made combinations of transitions and slide styles that can be used inside the Wizard of the program to create automatic shows.
Templates (available ONLY IN PRODUCER) - a copy of your whole show, that can be reused to create additional and identical shows, with different pictures. It includes EVERYTHING in your show, minus the real pictures. The pictures are replaced by place holders.

The Wizard tool inside the program, comes with built-in themes, that the creators of ProShow have made. The program does not include any option to download and install new themes in the Wizard, automatically. However, the existing built-in themes can be customized (edited), and new ones can be added by the user himself, through editing and saving with new names.

By contrast, all the other effects can be downloaded from wherever you find them, and installed in the program, with their respective labels: Styles, transitions and templates.
ProShow Gold however is a limited program, and does not allow installation of transitions made by any 3rd party. Only of slide styles.

So, by downloading that free "Remember When" theme, you actually got a small pack of slide styles and transitions that Photodex have created for you for free, and that you must install in the program in order to be able to use them in your future shows. This pack does not contain any pre-made theme for the wizard. It's up to you to create one, on your own, if you want to. Or, you can just use the styles and transitions in regular shows, independently of the wizard.

Hope this clarifies it all. I tried very hard to be concise and not too overwhelming :D

EDIT POST
I feel that I absolutely need to add something to what I wrote above
In ProShow it is possible to make shows without using ANY of the effects mentioned above. The use of slide styles is not a must. The user has the choice of creating his own effects or no effects at all.

Postby webcat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Much Thanks for this very descriptive explanation. They should definitely hire you as Teacher :)

Thanks alot. I understand perfectly now.

Is there anyone on "here" that I can find or you can recommend to make custom styles? I am having difficulty getting the reflection technique to work for me. not so much the reflection itself, I've been doing reflections for years as a graphic designer, but I cant get my reflection to act right when I put them in motion with the top image (lol) this is very difficult for me as I spent 3 str8 hours trying it, each falling short and bottom reflection image "never" being directly under the image to make the reflection look real. I can provide a file to show what I am after if anyone reading this would be willing to make it for me. I am quite sure to someone who knows what they are doing it would take about a minute of their time, but for me, lol, well....But maybe after the style is created, I can study it, and know the technique. Please someone let me know. Thanks :)

Postby cherub » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:16 pm

This is the ProShow Gold section of the forum, and I don't know if you posted here because you really use Gold, or if it was a mistake.
Reflections usually make use of a mask, and that's not a feature included in Gold.

In any case, if you want your reflection to work well, you must use the Rotation Center.
Both the image and the reflection must have the same "point" of rotation (though the values are different for each, of course).

If this sounds Chinese for you, you are welcome to send me the slide that you are working on.
You'll get your answer by tomorrow, because now it's past midnight in my area, and time to go to bed :D

Postby webcat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:42 pm

how can I send you the file please?

Postby cherub » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:13 am

I sent you an en email.
But you must tell me if you use Gold or Producer.

Next

Return to PSG - General Discussion