Moving to PSP from PSG

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Moving to PSP from PSG

Postby hcajones » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:07 pm

Photodex is offering a very good price for upgrading from PSG to PSP. I have a very basic and very specific question. (In an earlier posting, I asked broadly about the merits of
PSG and PSG and for reasons why someone might or might not switch. I got very useful responses to that.)

The narrow question is this: if I upgrade to PSP, how much will I have to do differently right away in order to use it instead of PSG? Is PSP basically the same interface and fundamental operations as PSG, but with the potential to do even more, so that if I chose to, I could pretty much just continue to do in PSP what I've been doing in PSG and get the same results? Or does using PSP introduce a significantly different interface and/or the need to do things in a significantly different way?

I will probably upgrade to PSP if for a while I can pretty much continue what I've been doing as I slowly familiarize myself with PSP. But if PSP will grind me to a halt until I learn a whole bunch of new stuff, I probably will not. At least, not now.

I hope this question makes sense. As always, thanks for your attention and help.

Re: Moving to PSP from PSG

Postby cherub » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:41 pm

I think that you will definitely be able to use PSP exactly as you are used to from Gold, if that's what you want.
But, there are differences, and you will have to get used to them.
First of all, when you open the Slide Options/Effects, in Gold, and look at one of your layers, you are used to see two screens side by side - one is the Starting Position, and the other is the Ending Position.
In Producer, you will see just one screen. :D with 2 keyframes, and the timeline in between. You have to hit no. 1 to be at the starting point of your slide, and to hit no. 2 to reach the ending of your slide.
Unlike in Gold, Producer can insert many more keyframes in between these two main positions. This is one of the major differences between Gold and Producer. But, you don't need to concern yourself with this right from the start. You only need to remember that 1 is the start and 2 is the ending. Pay close attention which one is selected every time.

As to the menus themselves:
They are quite the same. The problem is that Producer has many more :D
You will need to familiarize yourself with the interface and to find once again the menus that you are used to work with. But I don't think this should be an issue, as the menus are located pretty much in the same place.

Apart from this, you will have at your disposal, a myriad of slide styles and transitions, many more than what you are used to. You can start playing with the new styles right from the beginning. There is no need to learn anything there.

Another very important thing that you need to remember is that once you save a show in Producer, you cannot open it in Gold anymore.
The opposite will always work. Any show that you saved in Gold, can be opened in Producer. So, if you wish to continue to use Gold in parallel with Producer, you must pay attention to how you save your shows.

Good Luck ! :D

Postby hcajones » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Thank you. This is very helpful. It's consistent with what Photodex advertises, but sometimes people who are selling things don't quite see things from the point of view of the user. Although Photodex is unusually customer friendly in general.

I noted your comment about not being able to open a PSP show in PSG, but being able to do thieopposite. I'm sure the answer is yes, but just to make sure, if I've already created and saved a show in PSG5 and then open in it PSP, will I be able to apply all PSP features to the former PSG show? I undertand that if I do that and then save it it's no longer useable in PSG. I'm just asking if I can apply the features of PSP to an existing PSG5 show.

Thanks again.

Postby cherub » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:06 pm

hcajones wrote:
I noted your comment about not being able to open a PSP show in PSG, but being able to do thieopposite. I'm sure the answer is yes, but just to make sure, if I've already created and saved a show in PSG5 and then open in it PSP, will I be able to apply all PSP features to the former PSG show? I undertand that if I do that and then save it it's no longer useable in PSG. I'm just asking if I can apply the features of PSP to an existing PSG5 show.

Yes, absolutely.
You understood everything perfectly.

Postby debngar » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:28 am

if I've already created and saved a show in PSG5 and then open in it PSP, will I be able to apply all PSP features to the former PSG show? 

In addition to Monas' good advice, whenever you want to apply something to your show, but are afraid of ruining your work, save a copy of the show to a different show file name and experiment to your hearts content on that one. This preserves the work done on the original show if things don't work out as expected.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Return to PSG - General Discussion