Disappearing fonts

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Disappearing fonts

Postby hcajones » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:31 pm

As I understand it, PSG simply draws on the Windows fonts that are already part of the Windows setup. Recently, I have had several situations in which I open a show that is a month or two old (or older), and I get a PSG popup telling me that a font or some fonts used in the show are not available and will be replaced with standard fonts. In some cases, the fonts that disappeared were fonts I used many, many times in a slideshow, which meant I had to go through the entire show one slide at a time and replace the "standard" font chosen randomly by PSG with a font closer to what I wanted - that is, closer to the font that disappeared.

Does Windows just arbitrarily add and remove fonts without notice? Is there any way to head off this problem?

As always, thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: Disappearing fonts

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:54 am

hcajones wrote:Does Windows just arbitrarily add and remove fonts without notice?

No, Windows doesn't add or remove fonts on its own, though it can seem like it when we install software that comes with fonts and it adds those fonts without permission. The only way I know of where it can appear fonts are coming and going is when using a font program that, when running, temporarily adds links to fonts that are stored elsewhere. The moment the software is closed, the links disappear.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:33 am

Changed computers lately? If so, then fonts loaded to the old one also need to be installed on the new one if they aren't standard Window fonts that are usually included. Otherwise the program will try a substitute, yes.

That's something easy to forget when switching to a new computer, but can definitely mess up a show.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:09 am

Debbie, I didn't even think of that! :!:

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:54 am

Have you looked to see if the font that seems to have vanished (according to Producer) is actually present on the computer? The key here is determining if the font is actually somehow vanishing or if somehow Producer just can't find it. I have not experienced this, but the trick to solving it is breaking it down to exactly what is getting lost where.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby hcajones » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I did get a new computer a few months ago, but fonts "disappeared" from shows made with both the old and new computers. One of the fonts that disappeared was called "Hobo." I liked it because it had a kind of inflated or balooney look that was fun for certain things. I looked at the fonts available in my Windows 7 computer today and there is no such font. So I am mystified. Where did the font come from when I put it into the slideshow? Why did it disappear? I do nothing unusual with my computer or programs. I'm not knowledgeable enough to.

Unfortunately, the two fonts that disappeared were on LOTS of slides and each slide requires a separate fix. A real nuisance.

Postby debngar » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:18 pm

If you know what fonts are needed, install them and the shows should view as expected.

Another thought - If they are otf fonts and an older version of ProShow is being used, they've been known to sometimes not recognize otf fonts properly though it’s supposed to be compatible with otf fonts now.
Debbie

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Do a search for the missing fonts (Google) - there are a number of places that have free fonts - Hobo can be had here:
http://www.fontpalace.com/font-download/HoboStd/

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby debngar » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:53 am

Each slide shouldn't need a separate fix if the show was not resaved with the replaced fonts. I'm pretty sure the show file with all the information in it would still have the original font names associated with each slide unless the show was resaved after the substitutions.
The show's psh file can be opened as a text file in notepad or something like that to view it to "find" the font names and do a find/replace if it's really necessary. Before working on it, you could save the file with another name to be sure it's not messed up further.

All that's needed is to know which fonts were substituted, and with what other font replaced it.

I typically stick to one font throughout a show for continuity, though sometimes I might use a second one for a title or something like that. It also makes for easier fixes when this kind of problem arises.

Good Luck
Debbie

Postby hcajones » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:14 pm

I found a site (fontzone.net) from which I could download Hobo. I am dead-ending on Cooper Black, the other font that disappeared. The site Windows recommends will sell it to me for $29.99 (for the one font!), which is outrageous. Every other site (including the one recommended by Mikey) either requires installation of separate software before it will let you get to the font, which is suspicious, or gets blocked by Norton.

I looked, and neither Hobo or Cooper Black is on the list of fonts that comes with Windows 7. But I never added any fonts, and I have been using these two fonts in many slide shows over a couple of years on two different computers. So how all of a sudden I "lost" two fonts which were apparently never supposed to be there in the first place is a mystery to me.

Now that I've installed Hobo, I will reopen one of the shows that tells me Hobo has disappeared and see if it will use the new Hobo I just installed. In the meantime, does anyone have a suggestion about how I can get Cooper Black without paying $30?

As always, thanks for your help.

Postby cherub » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:26 pm

hcajones wrote: In the meantime, does anyone have a suggestion about how I can get Cooper Black without paying $30?
As always, thanks for your help.

Both Hobo and Cooper Black come with Microsoft Office.
You most probably had it on your old computer.

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:43 am

I wondered why I had both of those on my system. M$ Office would explain it (although Photoshop installs a bunch of fonts too I believe) and I know Corel Draw also does (I have Corel Draw 9 also installed, so I was not sure which of them installed those fonts).

mikey

Postby cherub » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:29 am

It's MS Office. I'm 100% sure. :D
I just installed a new hard drive, remember?

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:16 am

I had this problem on a few occasions when I moved a show from my Windows XP desktop computer over to my Windows 7 laptop. When I opened the show on the Windows 7 laptop I found that Proshow could not find some of the fonts.

I finally realized the missing fonts were some that were installed on my XP desktop and were not loaded on my Windows 7 laptop. I recently upgraded my XP desktop computer to Windows 7 and before I re-installed the operating system I copied all the fonts onto an external hard drive and then transferred them back to the new Windows 7 operating system after the installation was complete.

Now everything workes just fine no matter which computer I am using for my shows because the catalog of fonts are the same on both computers :-)

Return to PSG - General Discussion