Putting shows on a hard drive

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Putting shows on a hard drive

Postby A&M » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi everyone,
can anybody tell me if and how to put all of my shows on an external hard drive. Some of them are rather large so I burn them on to discs, but I was wondering if I could just
put them on a hard drive and plug it into my tv and play them from there or is life not that simple?
Thanks in advance for any info!
Alan :)

Re: Putting shows on a hard drive

Postby debngar » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:29 am

Determine what type of video file the tv will play and render the shows to that file format. You may have to refer to the tv manual for that information.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:27 am

As Deb indicates, check the TV manual. Many (most?) of the newer TV's can handle mp4 files on a usb flash drive for example. I have not tried it with an external hard drive, although I would expect it could also handle that via the USB connection. There are also some other paths that work as well such as the WD or other gadgets that can handle streaming across the network from your computer and provide video (HDMI) output you could feed to the TV. Some of those gadgets can also handle an ISO file (if you created one when you were creating a DVD) and play that just like a DVD player without actually requiring the physical DVD (an ISO is an image of all the files etc. on a DVD). Unfortunately, there is no one single simple answer - the good news is that there are a number of options depending on what hardware you have.

EDIT: forgot to mention - if your TV is connected to your home network (LAN), some TV's can handle reading shared mp4 files for example from your computer over the network (I know my Samsung can handle stuff over the network). Definitely start by looking through the manual for the TV if it is one of the newer ones so you have an idea what it can handle.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby A&M » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks Debbie & Mikey for your input on my question, it really is a mine of information this forum! I'm reading as often as I can and I find it so rewarding because there is always something new, I just hope what's left of my grey matter can imbibe this info!
Cheers,
Alan :)

Return to PSG - General Discussion