PSG vs PSP

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related
Honorary ProShow PHD

PSG vs PSP

Postby Penny47 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:04 pm

Can anyone tell me if there is a big difference between these two and if I should even consider it. I do not do a lot of shows and mostly for my family. I am trying out the PSP at the moment but can see hardly any difference between the two. Many thanks.

Penny

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: PSG vs PSP

Postby pilotdan63 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:51 am

Penny . . . here's a product comparison chart that shows the difference between Gold and producer: http://www.photodex.com/proshow/compare

Dan

Postby im42n8 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:23 am

In short, YES, there's a big difference. However, you CAN use Producer in exactly the same way as you do Gold. It kinda can be a version of Gold on steroids (and which you can then work into the use of more advanced features like gradient/solid layers, opacity, multiple keyframes on a single slide, red eye removal, text layers for those special captioning times, blur, etc.).

The comparison chart should be telling. But, with Producer, you have considerably more control over how your show looks. Gold is very capable but very limited in what it can do. If you have access to a bitmap editor (Photoshop, Photo-Paint, Paint Shop Pro...), you can do a lot of interesting stuff that you can then use in Gold ... however, it's not as much as one might like if you want lots of creative control.

It mostly comes down to how much control over your show's content you want, how much you're willing to spend for that capability, and whether you consider it worth while to invest in the more advanced capabilities of Producer for any future products (yeah, I know -- those are all pretty much the same thing: is it worthwhile?, just stated differently).

I lasted less than 2 weeks with Gold before I tossed it for Producer. It didn't give me the control I needed for the memorial I was doing (and I wanted to do it justice).

That's my 2cents worth...

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 21, 2014 11:07 am

Don't forget if you do decide to upgrade to Producer, the Photodex "Loyalty Program" http://kb.photodex.com/234/do-i-qualify ... -discount/ - it can save you 50% on the upgrade cost if you have owned Gold for 2 or more years.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Thank you all for your help it gives me a lot to think about and digest. As I already have PSP version 3 I only have to go to the Upgrade so I shall give it a lot of thought.

Penny

Postby im42n8 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:24 pm

Penny, if you have v3 (or v3.2) already, you're better served buying the PSP upgrade to v6. There's nothing to be gained by getting Gold in that case. In many respects, PSP v3 is still better than PSG v6 (except for the addition of tilt). It's still a much cheaper route to go ... V6 adds a number of improvements to v3 ... but many of the features are exactly the same . . . the biggest difference is going to be the culture shock accompanying the user interface. The UI changed from 3 to 4, but not in any substantial way. But, the change brought on by v5 is a shock. Once you get used to it tho, it's great!

The cost to upgrade to PSP v6 is going to be $20 more than buying Gold outright. That's a pretty good bang for the buck, in the long run, to my mind ... :shock: :D

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Thanks Dale I have some serious thinking to do. Being on Pension I do have to count the bucks big time and living in NZ is not cheap :-) But I usually get what I want LOL

Penny

Postby BarbaraC » Tue May 27, 2014 12:14 pm

Penny, it really all comes down to what you've wanted to do but haven't been able to do. If you're periodically very frustrated, then Producer is probably the right choice.

I did better than Dale. I lasted several months before dumping Gold and going to Producer. It would have been sooner if money hadn't gotten in the way. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Tue May 27, 2014 12:46 pm

Barbara, money is my problem at the moment. Being retired with a limited amount of money coming in makes it harder than it used to be and as I already have PSG version 6 and I do not do as many shows as I used to maybe for now PSG will have to do. I tried PSP v 6 and loved what I saw but really can not justify buying it now. So I shall save like crazy to get it. :-)

Thanks for letting me know how you changed over .

Penny

Postby BarbaraC » Tue May 27, 2014 1:08 pm

Penny, unless you're going to be doing quite a number of shows, and unless you dream of doing all kinds of "interesting" things, you may actually be best off sticking to Gold. Why spend on something you may end up not quite getting your money's worth from? There's quite a bit you can do with Gold.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Thank you Barbara I think you are absolutely correct. I am going to stick to Gold for now and if at some time I start doing lots of shows, I will then consider PSP.

Penny

Return to PSG - General Discussion