Include original photos when creating DVD

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Include original photos when creating DVD

Postby kar » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:22 am

I'm using PSG6. When I create a DVD I can include the original photos, but after I burn the DVD, the first photo is not included. All the other photos are on the DVD except the first one. How can I make sure all the photos are included?

Re: Include original photos when creating DVD

Postby im42n8 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:02 pm

What constitutes you "first" photo? If it's on the very first slide of the show, it should be included. However, if it's NOT in the show itself, then that's another story. You can add additional content by choosing the option "Include Additional Content" (an option immediately below "Include Original Photos"). This allows you to include content that may not actually be in the show but might be used elsewhere...

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby kar » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Thanks Dale,

I made a special slide show for my mother's funeral and I want to make a copy on a DVD, including the original photos I used, for my sister and brother. When I made the show I used 25 jpg photos that I stored alone in a separate folder and all 25 are included in the show. I also have one caption slide to start the show and one caption slide at the end, for 27 slides total. After I create a DVD and check the "Include Original Photos" box, the final DVD includes a folder named "SHOW_1" with the jpg/photos #2 thru #25 in it, but not jpg/photo #1, but there is a new file in it named FILL_WHITE.PNG.

I looked for the option "Include Additional Content" which you said was immediately below "Include Original Photos" but it does not exist in my PSG6 program. The only option below "Include Original Photos" is "DVD+R/RW Compatibility". It would certainly be nice to "Include Additional Content" on my discs since there is plenty of space available. Is there something I can download to add this to my program?

kar

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:20 am

I thought Gold did allow you to do that, however, in just looking through the manual (download pdf), it only shows how to include photos in the show (on page 328 it says "Any extra
content you chose to add to the disc", however, on page 344 it only references "include original photos"). There are a couple of ways to approach this - create an ISO file of the show (select the ISO option from the pull down menu where you select the burner). An ISO file is an image of the disk (sort of like a zip file and WinRAR for example can read an ISO file, but not edit it). There are several utilities out there (like ISO Buster etc. although not free) that allow you to edit ISO files and you could add an "/EXTRAS" folder to the disk image (A DVD will have two main folders on it - AUDIO_TS (empty) and VIDEO_TS which will have a bunch of files in it that are your show, menu etc. with a specific structure). Another option (I have not had my coffee yet, so my mind is sort of wandering around) is to use the free IMGBURN utility that many of us use (we create an ISO so we have a master copy on our hard drive). Copy the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders from a DVD you created (this does not work for a commercial DVD usually because of encryption) to a working folder on your hard drive. Now create an "/EXTRAS" folder in that working folder and add whatever you want to be included on the disk. Use the free Imgburn to "Create Image file from Files/Folders" and add those 3 folders (VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS and /EXTRAS) to create a disk image (and save it to your hard drive). Now use Imgburn to burn that image you just created to a DVD - see if that does what you want (you should be able to look at the DVD in your computer and see those 3 folders at the top level of the disk).

One thing to note - when you download the free Imgburn, make sure you pay attention to which link you click - the site has a bunch of other downloads on it and you can get other things instead. Make sure you download and install Imgburn (if you search the forum here, you will find lots of us use it).

There are other ways to add stuff to a disk but they all involve moving stuff around - before Proshow had that feature, I found a way to do it back in 2004 or so when I had a very early version of Gold, but it again involved copying folders from a burned disk back to the hard drive, adding things to what was going to be burned and then burning back to the DVD again.

(Sorry about your mother - that was how I got started with Proshow back in 2004 when I did a show for my mother's "Celebration of Life" - I need to re-do that one of these days and fix what I did wrong then :D )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby im42n8 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:09 am

I just installed Gold on my laptop (I'm not at home at the moment ... and I didn't even have the most recent release on my computer). After looking through the Gold installation, I found out that the "include additional content" is an option only for Producer. What a surprise. Oh well. So, you might want to follow the instructions the Mikey provided. That could work ... however, if there's a built-in error code check (check sum or something like that), for the ISO, that option might not work. But, try it ... it actually might just work!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:34 am

The basic process of create the DVD, copy the folders back to your hard drive, add the /EXTRAS folders and then create an ISO (or DVD) from that does work. I have done it in the past (I had to use Nero back in 2004) before there was a way in Proshow to add the /EXTRAS folder. One trap-door to be aware of if you are adding the /EXTRAS folder from Producer for example, it adds the CONTENTS of that folder to the top level of the DVD, so you end up with the images scattered around the top level of the DVD. Instead (this is in Producer), you create a /EXTRAS/EXTRAS folder and sub-folder so when it "adds" it to your DVD, you end up with an /EXTRAS folder on the DVD instead of the contents scattered around the top level. If you do it the way I was talking about with Imgburn and copying the folders, adding the /EXTRAS folder to the same level as the /VIDEO_TS and /AUDIO_TS folders, you end up with the structure on the DVD you expected (all your images etc. in the /EXTRAS folder on the DVD). If you have something like DVDA (DVD Architect studio as part of Sony Vegas Movie Studio (video editor)), you can also work the problem that way - create DVD compliant video/audio from Proshow then use DVDA to create the DVD (or ISO) including whatever other content you want (DVDA allows that feature as well). As far as any "checksum" (or MD5 etc.) goes for the ISO, there is nothing to really check that - if you use the free Imgburn to create an ISO from files/folders, it does create a valid ISO and it can then burn that ISO to a DVD (you can also use the "create image file from disk" feature to create an ISO file of install disks you may have for stuff on your system. That way when the install disk vanishes (as they often do), you can re-create the install disk from the ISO image you have on your hard drive (works for both CD and DVD media although it has to go back on the same type you got it from).

Depending on how long the show is (how much space is left on the DVD), you could also create a HD (720p for example) mp4 video file and save that version in the /EXTRAS folder so people could view the higher def version of the show on their computer (or on a TV that can handle mp4 from a flash drive for example).

If you are curious about the structure of a DVD, see this link: http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - General Discussion