Will PSG5 run on Win 7, 64 bit? (leaving XP)

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Re: Will PSG5 run on Win 7, 64 bit? (leaving XP)

Postby HelenG » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:16 am

Oh boy! Some really GOOD tips from you folks ... thanks! I'm still researching. Not sure my "old" cpu can be rebuilt again ... especially because of the removable hard drive. Can you believe this: my cpu has a floppy drive, an Omega drive, a CD ROM, CD-R/RW, and removable hard disks (one of which is defunct).
My original thought was for Win 7 Home Premium, until I read about the compatibility option; I would like to learn how to use a "virtual" option for XP. Looking at Dell (online) AND still trying to locate a local, trustworthy 'puter-builder. Meanwhile I've unintalled MSEssentials (it quit w/XP, anyway) and installed AVG, AND disabling my DSL when not needed. Thank you. Thank you all, from the rain-soaked Pacific NW! :lol:

P.S. Does anyone here have experience with Ubuntu operating system?

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:28 am

HelenG wrote:P.S. Does anyone here have experience with Ubuntu operating system?

I assume you don't mean as your main operating system on the proposed new computer, right? If so, you can't run ProShow with it.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:11 am

I have Ubuntu on several machines - one with the GUI interface and one with a server install. It is a good system, HOWEVER, as Barbara points out, you can't run Proshow on it (Ubuntu is Linux). It is a good (free) OS and worth considering if you want to use Linux for whatever reason, but be aware, you can't (in general) run any windows apps on it. Note that if you want to simply try it without installing it, you can download the live CD image and boot your machine from the CD (well, DVD) without doing an install. Not real fast, but lets you get the feel of it without modifying your hard drive at all (quite a few of the Linux distributions actually have a "Live" version you can try that way).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby HelenG » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:49 pm

Barbara ... Ubuntu = no, not as my 'main' O/S!

Anyone ... I've been afraid that Linux (vs. Ubuntu) would be too over-my-head for me; read that it was good for 'geeks' only (which I'm not). Maybe I need to dig deeper into Linux.

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:39 pm

Here are a couple of links to check out:
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08111
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Commu ... umentation

Linux is a more technical OS as far as installing and maintenance goes and there are many flavors of Linux out there with various features. Linux flavors are sort of like car makes - everybody has a favorite :D Probably the easiest thing to do is take an old machine and install Linux on it and just play with it. There are good Ubuntu forums (the first link also has a link to the forums). Linux is a different mindset and is not as "intuitively obvious" as windows in many ways, but it is a very powerful OS (and the basis of the Mac OS). Spend some time snooping around to get the feel of it (there are two versions listed - a desktop and a server - the desktop version has a GUI (windowed) interface and the server is command line driven since people using servers may not even have a monitor hooked up to it (remote login for admin etc.) and they like using the command line - Linux can be fairly cryptic in the command line mode until you get used to the commands - some rather strange names like my favorite "awk" which is a pattern recognition/processing utility. The name came from the first letters of the last names of the 3 guys that wrote it - really !!

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:06 am

I've long-believed (perhaps based in fact, perhaps not) that Linux is a derivative of Unix, which is what a lot of the hosting companies on the internet use. When I created The Frame Locker and decided to use GoDaddy simply because I knew the name, I had the choice of going with Windows or Unix. Only a little research told me I should go with the latter because it was more stable. I'm now with A2 Hosting whose servers are all Unix. No Windows there at all. I'm sure it was a very conscious decision on their part. I don't know anything about Linux, but if it's an offshoot of Unix, then it certainly has my vote, though not for the kinds of things I need to do.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:42 am

Linux is a Unix "look and feel" alike ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux ) Unix is all proprietary code. Linux was basically reverse engineered - completely re-written by people that had no access to the Unix code so it could be open source (which is why it can be free). It doesn't hide all the details from you the way windows does, but it does give you the tools to do what you need to do - especially in a server type environment etc. Like any tool, it does have it's place. There are things that a Mac does best, things windows does best and things Linux (or Unix) does best. While my windows machines are the ones I have Photoshop, Sony Vegas (video editor) etc. on, I also have a couple of Linux machines that are handy. Does Proshow run on Linux? No, but it is still a good thing to be familiar with Linux. You are correct in that most big servers etc. are all running Linux (or Unix) in some flavor. They are secure (when properly configured), are stable and plenty of documentation out there on how to configure and administer them. Before I retired, I was using a number of Unix machines for my telemetry data processing - I was on a windows machine, but I was doing all the heavy stuff on a remote Unix machine where I had written some fairly extensive scripts to crunch data and feed it to the appropriate locations.

mikey

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:45 am

Now that I think about, I believe it's Linux that my web host uses.

It's something that's always attracted me because of the teething I did, first with CP/M and then DOS. I truly miss the concept of if-then-else. I don't miss the confounded infinite loops I periodically constructed. God forbid you should forget even a single dot somewhere.

Barbara

Previous

Return to PSG - General Discussion