Will PSG5 run on Win 7, 64 bit? (leaving XP)

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Will PSG5 run on Win 7, 64 bit? (leaving XP)

Postby HelenG » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:37 am

Greetings ... It seems I'm now confronted to replace my dependable XP. I have Pro Show gold 5.0; will that work on a Win 7, 64-bit PC? Thanks, I will miss the old XP, but welcome a huge increase in RAM and HD!
~Helen~

Re: Will PSG5 run on Win 7, 64 bit? (leaving XP)

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:16 pm

It should run fine although it will still suffer the RAM limitations of a 32 bit app. I am running version 6 (the current one) win no issues on win 7/64 (although if I feel lonely for XP, I have my machine set to dual boot so I can get back into the old XP :D )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby HelenG » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:55 am

Thanks much. When I buy a Win7 new machine (with huge RAM & HD compared to my current old workhorse), I shall learn how to 'double boot.' That sounds good to me!
Last edited by HelenG on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:57 am

I was using version 5 on Win 7 64-bit before upgrading to version 6, and it worked like a champ. Too bad we don't as yet have a 64-bit ProShow. I was hoping for it this time around, but maybe next time.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:30 am

You may or may not be able to dual boot your new machine - dual booting means you have one partition on the disk that is XP and a second partition that is win7 (or Linux or ... ) with a boot manager of some sort on the front end that allows you to select which one. In my case, it was relatively easy since this machine was already running XP, so I had an existing install - it was just a matter of adding another partition on the disk for win7. If you want to dual =-boot a new machine with XP and win7, you will need to re-install XP on the machine (which may or may not be a simple task - if your existing (on the old machine) XP is an OEM version (typically came with the machine when you bought it), then legally you can't move it to another machine and most of them are keyed to the BIOS on the machine anyway, so it will not install on a different machine). Do a Google search on "dual boot windows 7" if you are interested in more information on it - it can work well, but there are a number of trap doors to be aware of.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:09 am

I plunged right in with as little fear and trepidation as I could muster, starting off fresh with a new computer and Win7. Just one piece of software was too old to install, but I was able to replace it. After taming Win7 as best as possible, I installed the free Classic Shell program, which forces Win7 to look and behave fairly close to the beloved XP.

Conclusion: If you don't want to use a dual boot, download Classic Shell: http://www.classicshell.net/

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:13 am

I just realized - can you still buy win7 machines or are you stuck with win8.x ? Dual boot was a logical direction for me since I was adding win7 to an existing machine with XP on it. Working to dual boot XP and Win7 when you have to install both, is probably not worth the effort unless you really need XP (or 98 for example) for some reason. Win 7 takes a bit of getting used to and there are a couple of trap doors that have bitten folks (virtual store being one of them ... ), but in general, I have not had a need to boot XP for quite a while now (but I do need to finish migrating all the stuff on there over to win 7).

mikey

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:28 am

gpsmikey wrote:I just realized - can you still buy win7 machines or are you stuck with win8.x ?

I'm not sure, but my guess is that you can't. All that's shown in the stores are machines pre-loaded with Win8, but since a person can custom-build (a tech does it for me), there's no need to buy what the stores insist you're supposed to want. I just checked to make sure you can still buy Win7, and you can. I think a lot of people don't realize they need not settle for what's sitting on display.

While checking for Win7, I spotted an article saying Win8 was going to be redesigned to look more like 7. If this is true, then Microsoft must have gotten hammered for their new design.

Barbara

Postby HelenG » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:52 pm

Thanks everyone, I sure appreciate the input. I am still researching new PCs; have learned that Win 7 Professional does have the compatible option, run as XP, on it. My current pc is a 'clone' from 2006 or so (custom built locally by a fellow who also built my very first pc, but is no longer in business) that has 2 removable drives, Win98 (defunct) and XP; it is very short on RAM and HD for me now. Hope to make a good decision sometime this week ... Thanks again. :)

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:12 pm

The only advice I feel truly comfortable giving is to buy the best you can afford and to not listen to the hype salespeople hand out in the stores. They're willing to sell a lemon to their mothers if they think it'll earn them a commission. :D

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:20 pm

BarbaraC wrote:The only advice I feel truly comfortable giving is to buy the best you can afford and to not listen to the hype salespeople hand out in the stores. They're willing to sell a lemon to their mothers if they think it'll earn them a commission. :D

Barbara

And once they have that down pat, they move on to congress :D

mikey

Postby heckydog » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:40 pm

HelenG wrote:Thanks everyone, I sure appreciate the input. I am still researching new PCs; have learned that Win 7 Professional does have the compatible option, run as XP, on it. My current pc is a 'clone' from 2006 or so (custom built locally by a fellow who also built my very first pc, but is no longer in business) that has 2 removable drives, Win98 (defunct) and XP; it is very short on RAM and HD for me now. Hope to make a good decision sometime this week ... Thanks again. :)

The Win 7 Pro compatible option is NOT a reason to get the Pro version. What it does is create a virtual XP OS within Windows 7. I believe it limits the RAM size to 1GB for XP (I might be wrong on this) and it takes that RAM from your other programs. So you have Win 7 and XP running at the same time.

I tried it once and immediately deleted it. A waste of time for mere mortals like us. It's just not intended to be used the way you think it will be used. You have to actually download a file, which is free, but nonetheless it does take up space you could use for other things.

Get the Home Premium version, I think it's $40 cheaper.

Joe
Last edited by heckydog on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:47 pm

If you are trying to compare which version of windows 7 to get, you might want to take a look at these two links - they offer a comparison between the various flavors. Look through them and see if any of the differences listed are important to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_ ... ison_chart
http://www.cnet.com/news/which-windows- ... t-for-you/

I also have not used the XP "virtual machine" version you can get with some versions of windows (although I do have VMWare that I can run other virtual things on, but that is not something the normal user would encounter or need)

mikey

Postby larry31 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:23 am

I had problems with ProShow V-6 on my old XP (home) setup. Ver-5 worked great on XP.
I finally installed Windows-7 Professional with a new 240GB Solid State drive, and 8 GB RAM. ( Desktop P.C. )

Ver-5 installed ok on Win-7. It worked good for me.
I reinstalled myV-6 of PSG on the Win-7, and it seems to be running ok now. Previous problems seem to have disappeared.
I no longer need V-5 so I uninstalled it and use V-6 exclusively now.

As a side note: I run Win-7 with XP mode to get my Outlook Express E-Mail program to work. ( OE would not function in Win-7! )
XP mode opens ( from Win-7 desktop) in about 7 sec's. I use Outlook Express and close out of XP mode which takes about 10 sec's to close.

If you are thinking of buying a new P/C. Consider just upgrading your old one to a Solid State Hd Dr. and buying a Windows 7 prof. operating disk. You could even add more RAM if desired. My total cost to upgrade my desktop was under $500.00
The computer works Wayyy Much faster now.

New Egg has good deals on Solid State hard drives. http://www.newegg.com/Internal-SSDs/SubCategory/ID-636

And... I don't need to be forced to use Windows-8 because it was forced on me by retailers.

Postby tdew » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:55 pm

Some of the outlet stores (Microcenter, TigerDirect etc) are still offering machines that come with Windows 7 installed.

Next

Return to PSG - General Discussion