Create different chapters on one DVD

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Create different chapters on one DVD

Postby tcedmon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:15 am

I’m Using PSG 6 to create a high school sport’s DVD

I want to create five different chapters, JV Boy’s, JV girls, V Boy’s, V girl’s, graduating senior players.

Is it best to create five different slide shows, or do I create five different ISO files?
So I can have five different menu buttons on the main menu?
Than create one larger ISO file to burn out the DVD’s?

Can each of the five slide shows be played separately if I have one ISO? And can they alsp be played as one continuous show?

I’ve watch several tube tutorials, but everyone shows using just one menu button not multiple menu buttons.

Is there a tutorial that shows how to create a DVD like this?
As I probably tell, I’m new at this.

Thanks,
Ed
Last edited by tcedmon on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Esteemed Member

Re: Create different chapters on one DVD

Postby just4fun » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:59 am

Good Question. I would like an answer also.
I brought an older show in "6" and I found menu's for it but I could not find a way to burn them. Before, I could make the shows in project, make my menu and burn as one ISO. I just saved them all to AVI and combined but that is not what I would have preferred to do.
Vivian

Postby cherub » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:07 pm

tcedmon wrote:I’m Using PSG 6 to create a high school sport’s DVD

I want to create five different chapters, JV Boy’s, JV girls, V Boy’s, V girl’s, graduating senior players.

Is it best to create five different slide shows, or do I create five different ISO files?
So I can have five different menu buttons on the main menu?
Than create one larger ISO file to burn out the DVD’s?

Can each of the five slide shows be played separately if I have one ISO? And can they alsp be played as one continuous show?

I’ve watch several tube tutorials, but everyone shows using just one menu button not multiple menu buttons.

Is there a tutorial that shows how to create a DVD like this?
As I probably tell, I’m new at this.

Thanks,
Ed

Yes, I can tell that you are new :D Welcome to the forum !

The short answer is - Yes, make 5 separate shows.
You are misunderstanding the notion of an iso file.
An iso is a virtual image of your real DVD. It is a file that is an exact replica of what your real DVD would look like, after you burn it. There are programs that can even play this iso file, as if it was a real DVD, but I won't go into this here.
So, you cannot make 5 iso's because that would mean that you would make 5 DVD's and wanting to play them as one :)

So, as I said, you need to make five separate shows.
When you are ready to make your DVD, go to Publish > DVD
Create DVD > Shows
Add your 5 shows in the order that you need.
Go to Create DVD > Menu
> "Menu Themes", choose the theme that you like
then go to "Menu Layout" > Layout > from the drop down menu choose "Five List"
Also from Menu Layout, choose the aspect ratio of your DVD
Also from Menu Layout, press on CUSTOMISE

This will open a new window, where you have options for: Settings, Layers, Captions.
Go through all the options carefully and change whatever you need.

Go back to Create DVD > and this time choose Options
Choose the type for everything.

When you are happy with all your choices and customization, go back to Create DVD > Menu, and SAVE the menu.
This ensures that you will be able to get back to this menu and make corrections, if you need to.

Now you are ready to burn your real DVD with ProShow. :D

Postby cherub » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:18 pm

just4fun wrote:Good Question. I would like an answer also.
I brought an older show in "6" and I found menu's for it but I could not find a way to burn them. Before, I could make the shows in project, make my menu and burn as one ISO. I just saved them all to AVI and combined but that is not what I would have preferred to do.

I hope that you will find your answer in what I wrote above.
However, if I remember correctly, you asked in another thread how to upload your project of several shows to YouTube.
That is not the same as creating a DVD.
What you upload to YouTube is just a video file. A video file cannot have a menu and cannot be created from 5 separate shows in ProShow. That is why you were advised in that other thread to make a single longer show.
You don't need to do this for a DVD.

Esteemed Member

Postby just4fun » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:11 am

Mona, Yes, it was in the part 2 of your answer. Instead of copying each show, I generated an AVI of each chapter and then put all five AVI files in a new show. Then made the AVI of that "new" show and uploaded it. (Life and Times of Ralph Magee) Worked fine. I do like chapters because I find people at a party want to show "a piece" of the show to others that they might be in but are not interested in the whole show. No one wants to wait for 15 minutes to see themselves. I would like to be able to do that with Youtube because now you can cast the show using Chromecast if the location had Wi-Fi which a lot of clubhouses or libraries do. I have done this with presentations and it still amazes me that whoever asks you to do it does not always know what kind of equipment they have. Sometimes set up is longer than the show. More and more, I am running into big screen TV's and most all have a USB port which is all that is needed.

Seems like I have a lot of catching up to do now that I feel good enough to think straight. Series of operations over the past couple of years has eliminated a lot of my "hobbies" so playing with Proshow is a good outlet to replace some of those things. Hubby retires at the end of year, so then I can be on the go more. He hates to sit still so he is always ready to drag me around to where ever I want to go. Seems the list is not as active as it was but I am sure it wanes from time to time. I feels so lucky to have started with Proshow years ago. I have been able to grow with it. We did not have so much to learn back then. I can imagine it might be overwhelming to newbies with so many possibilities to customize and get the look you want.
Vivian

Postby cherub » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:18 am

Vivian,
You seemed to have found the easiest of the solutions, but I'm not sure it's also the best one.
You converted your original shows from ProShow, 3 times in all: From the original show to avi, then again from avi to a longer avi, and finally you entrusted everything to YouTube, to convert it yet another time to their format.
All these conversions cause a lot of loss in the quality of your final video.
I had a look at the show that you mentioned, and indeed it looks very blurred and unclear.
I realize that you had to work with very old pictures, but still, the quality could have been much better without those many conversions.

You mentioned the USB port, and are probably referring to flash drives. Yes, nowadays most TVs come with it, and if you put 5 short shows in a folder on the flash drive, you will see their icons. At least that's how it's on my TV. So this may be another solution for you.

As to YouTube, have a look at their "Playlist" option, that allows you to group several video clips. Perhaps that's another solution for you.

Esteemed Member

Postby just4fun » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:43 am

Mona,
When you put them on a flash drive can you pause them or control the playback. I have a slide show that I put on a flash drive to use when I am just playing the radio of the sound system so I don't have to see their commercials, but I found my TV was very fussy to the pixels etc, but I have never tried a video. Is there a better format to use?
Vivian

Postby cherub » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:31 am

Yes, you can do everything from the TV remote control. It has all the buttons for pause, play, fast forward, fast backward etc.

I usually convert my shows for YouTube and use the High Definition 1080 (Normal).
It is this format that I also use to watch on my TV, with the flash drive.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:37 am

Most TV's etc. that support USB drives work well with MP4 formatted video (I tend to use 720p). Mona brings up a good point that is well worth keeping in mind when working with video - almost all of the video formats out there are what they call "lossy" formats - each time you compress the video (almost all video is compressed), some information is lost and it only takes 2 or 3 generations of compression to become quite noticeable (this is different from the compression format used by zip for example which is NOT a lossy format - when you uncompress a compressed file in zip format, you get back exactly, byte for byte, what you put into it). Remember also that normal (NTSC for example) DVD's limit the video resolution to 720*480 so if you use that format to start with then convert to other formats, you are going downhill. Try a short show in 720P format MP4 and put it on a USB drive - see how (if) your TV handles it - you may be very impressed (note that the USB drive has to support being read fast enough to keep up with the data needed by the TV or you will get jumps/freezes etc. - most decent flash drives should handle 720P though).

As a side note, it should be noted that the "avi" file type is actually a container, not a specific format. Many cameras etc. will create "avi" files and some will work fine, while others will cause you problems if you don't have the right codec installed for example (think of an "avi" as a shopping bag with groceries in it - looks the same from the outside, but not the same inside). Just something to be aware of (many people have run into this issue and been puzzled as to why some avi files work and others they got from somewhere else don't work for them). Just something to be aware of.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby just4fun » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Ok... I made a grandkids show and published as MPEG 4 and it has a big orange stripe saying that this is an evaluation product. I checked my about and it says it is registered to me. It did not do this on the other settings I have used but I have not used them all.
Vivian

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:52 pm

This thread maybe your answer :(
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22587
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Esteemed Member

Postby just4fun » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Thanks Brian, I think I will call them on Monday. I just noticed that they sent me one email with my old registration. Then after I called them and did the upgrade, they sent me the same registration number so maybe something got crossed in the processes. It has to be something like and you are right, I need to just make that call...I hate to talk to support. God Bless those people and their patience; I quit my job when they told me that I would have to move to support after we released the product and the philosophy is that software is an ongoing process and the buyer is ultimately the tester.
Vivian

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:32 pm

Having designed hardware and software for many years, I do have to agree with the "buyer/end user is the ultimate tester" since you know what the software can do and how it was designed, you know what to do to make it work (and what won't work). The end user has no such knowledge and they have more creative ways to do strange things than you could ever think of :twisted: As the old saying goes "it's hard to make things foolproof .... fools are so ingenious". One thing that is very nice about Photodex is they not only answer the phone for support but have people there that are willing to try to work the problem instead of reading a canned script from a notebook (how many of those have I run into :evil: ) Embedded systems (what I did) can be particularly entertaining on what the user can find that causes strange crashes. Take a "crash-proof" piece of software and turn a bunch of kids loose on it for 5 minutes. Bet they break it :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby just4fun » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:45 pm

Light bulbs went on today. I went to my Proshow account that has all of the registrations from over the years and it is the same code. Tried it and it did not work. Really strange. So I tried it again and since I am the Queen of copy/paste, I check to see if there was a space at the beginning. Yes! Deleted the space and it unlocked.

:( :idea: :P :idea:
Vivian

Postby tcedmon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:02 am

Mona,

Thanks to your help, it worked just as I wanted. I made to small shows one with 75 slides another with 45 slides took about 2.5 hours to render as an ISO and burn to DVD.

I've ordered a new computer last night hope this new system will render the shows faster. Current computer has a problem reading all the RAM memory and crashes, its 13 years old.

The show I’m working on will have about 275 slides, some small video clips and with transitions. I'm expecting a total finished run time of around 45 minutes.

My new system will have 12G’s of RAM, and one of the latest Intel processors, so it should run / render a lot faster, I hope.

Would it help to turn off anti virus programs and disconnect from internet when creating/rendering shows?

Thanks Again
Ed

Next

Return to PSG - General Discussion