Repeated shutdown of PSG6

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Re: Repeated shutdown of PSG6

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:07 pm

im42n8 wrote:There's a bug that's related to the layer having a length that's less than 25% of the length of the entire slide.

For whatever reason, I thought the 25% problem was just with captions. Is it for everything?! :shock: Please tell me I've misunderstood what you just said. :(

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:19 pm

Well, I've got a show that has layers (not text layers) that exhibit this darned problem. When I realized the darned thing was occurring on me ... I found that I had to change 4 slides ... I got one done, 3 to go. If ONLY it was related to caption (text) layers.

-Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:29 pm

Well then, phooey on evil bugs such as this. There's already enough trouble in the world, right? :evil:

Barbara

Postby hcajones » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:09 pm

I think we've figured out the problem. I use Carbonite, backing up to the cloud and also backing a mirror image to an external hard drive. This was never a problem with PSG5, so it never occurred to me it could be a problem with PSG6. However, during my last call with a Photodex support person (very helpful and very committed to solving the problem), we discovered that my problem of PSG6 constantly shutting down and disappearing stopped if I disabled Carbonite. Makes sense: competing programs trying to do different things with the same files simultaneously. I have no idea why the problem is in 6 but not 5.

I've now been using PSG6 for three days, disabling Carbonite each time and reactivating it right after I shut down PSG. Not once during those three days have the old problems appeared.

Thanks for all the help and consultation on this.

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:03 am

This is a case to remind all of us that the best help comes from contacting Photodex. I seriously doubt any of us here on the forum would have figured out what was causing such serious misery.

Barbara

Postby debngar » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:48 am

hcajones wrote:I think we've figured out the problem. I use Carbonite, backing up to the cloud and also backing a mirror image to an external hard drive. This was never a problem with PSG5, so it never occurred to me it could be a problem with PSG6. However, during my last call with a Photodex support person (very helpful and very committed to solving the problem), we discovered that my problem of PSG6 constantly shutting down and disappearing stopped if I disabled Carbonite. Makes sense: competing programs trying to do different things with the same files simultaneously. I have no idea why the problem is in 6 but not 5.

I've now been using PSG6 for three days, disabling Carbonite each time and reactivating it right after I shut down PSG. Not once during those three days have the old problems appeared.

Thanks for all the help and consultation on this.

Wow, that's a new one. Might be a good FAQ "sticky" for those having a problem like this to be able to refer to. Seems like we see this pop up (problems with crashing) enough that it could help. Though not sure the problem is always related to people using something like an online backup service such as Carbonite. Considering more and more people may be using "cloud" technology, I wonder if that could affect the use of the program in a similar fashion. :roll:
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby hcajones » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:29 am

A follow up: a conflict with Carbonite was definitely the problem. If I disable Carbonite backup before I go into PSG6, I never have problems. I forgot to disable it once, and within a few minutes PSG6 crashed.

Turning Carbonite on and off is simple so I don't really view this as a significant problem. I do wonder, though, how many other people are having PSG6 crashes connected to Carbonite and don't know it.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Some of the strangest combinations can cause big problems in unexpected ways. I had one where my Sony Vegas video editor would not start - it would hang part way then blow up. After lots of testing, I finally found that if I had a little device programmer plugged into the USB port, that was causing the issue. Nobody could explain why that should have any effect at all, but unplugging it fixed the problem. Glad you found the magic combination causing the problem.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Kathbc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:52 pm

I'm having this very problem with PSG5 and don't use Carbonite. :(

Very frustrating since I need this show for Saturday.

Postby hcajones » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:42 pm

I've also discovered that the "Live Protection" feature of Spybot can sometimes cause problems like this. When I work in PS6, I turn off Carbonite and I turn off the "Live Protection" feature of Spybot and things go fine. Otherwise, I get shutdown after shutdown.

Postby Kathbc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:12 pm

I don't use either of those. Just good old MacAfee.

Postby Kathbc » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Jared at Photodex came to the rescue & my show is now running beautifully! Thank you Jared!!

Followed the uninstall/install method and it worked! :D

Previous

Return to PSG - General Discussion