Poof - it's gone!

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Poof - it's gone!

Postby hcajones » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:59 pm

In the new PSG 6, I am having something very bad happen over and over again. I am working on the show, click on something normal (such as the next slide, or close a side I'm editing -- just about any normal command) and, poof, ProShow instantly disappears. No error message, no dialog box -- it just disappears. The show itself doesn't disappear -- I have it set to back up very frequently, but when I reopen it, I get the "ProShow didn't close properly message," and when I reload the show from there, it takes a long time because PS imports the photos and soundtracks again one-by-one, and this is a large show.

This is probably happening about every ten minutes, and it takes about five minutes for the show to reload.

Is anybody else having this problem, and even if not, any theories about what's going on?

My computer is otherwise just fine and high-end.

Thanks.

Re: Poof - it's gone!

Postby debngar » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:13 am

It seems to help to do frequent saves while editing a show. When the program starts bogging down, (the little "busy" sign taking some time to refresh), do another save, close the show, close the program and reopen. If that doesn't help the bogging down situation, save and close everything. Find the Proshow.phd file and delete it. It may also help to delete the proshow.cfg file. Both files are found in ProShow's root program folder.

I dislike having to delete those files because it means having to reselect my layout and colors. In addition, it erases the recent file list and yes, it causes all the styles and transitions to reload. But it puts the program back to how it should work.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby obeeone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:05 pm

G'day

It sounds like something more than just the .cfg or .phd although I would try them first as was suggested. If it were happening to me I would consider uninstalling Proshow and reinstalling it.

Carl
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

Postby larry31 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:11 pm

I’m experiencing various problems with version 6.0.3397 since I installed it. My previous version 5 worked flawlessly but this new version seems full of bugs.
1st problem.. I can’t produce anything at all. The rendering hangs up at around 2 – 6%. ( 0.75x) The only output I’ve been able to create is an executable file. ( *.exe) These same shows load and produce ok in version 5, except v-6’s special effects, which is understandable.

2d problem.. Every so often I’ll be clicking on some command, not always the same command, and the program closes unexpectedly.

3d problem… When I try to add a video file into “Layer Settings” in the “Slide Options” window, the complete computer stops responding.
I have to shut the system down using the power on/off button. Some video files will add ok, but then one will hang up unexpectedly.

I’ve never had this many issues with ver-5 The shows I create in V-6 will load in V-5 and play ok, and produce to a number of video file types with out a problem.

From some of the posts I’ve seen here, it seems like V-6 has issues.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:51 pm

When running into such bad problems, the first line of defense is to delete the two files mentioned by both Debbie and Carl. Sometimes, software doesn't install quite properly, and if this happens, the best bet is to uninstall completely and then reinstall. If none of this helps, then it's definitely time to contact Photodex. You just can't have any fun with software that's crashing consistently.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:52 pm

For quite some time, Photodex has recommended to leave the anti-virus/firewall stuff OFF until ProShow finishes installing and to turn it back on only AFTER the program has been opened again for the first time. Allegedly this sends a message to that software that it's a safe program. Sometimes, there is an interference between the AV stuff and ProShow which can cause a shutdown. It's also recommended to only have one AV program installed as having more than one working at the same time can be troublesome.

I use Norton and don't have much trouble with it. Some ProShow users have reported certain AV programs to be a bit touchier than others. I don't remember which ones they are though.
Debbie

Postby hcajones » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:01 pm

The problem with PSG 6 shutting down for no apparent reason continues. I have been going back and forth with their support people by email for several days and nothing seems to fix it. It is maddening, because when it shuts down it then has to reload the slow way, and it is shutting down every 5 or 10 minutes.

This is a big show already -- about an hour and 20 minutes -- and it will be bigger before I'm done. Probably about an hour and 45 minutes. I intended to have it all on one Blu-Ray.

I'm thinking now about splitting the show into two shows/discs so there is less data for PS to fight with in each show. But I would need to "move" part of what is already in the show into the second show.

Is there a way to, in effect, "cut and paste" part of a show and move it into a new show? I really don't want to delete part of the already-created show and re-create it for a second disc. Lots of work went into it.

Thanks.

Postby dsprincis » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:38 am

I would make two copies of the show. On copy one, I would delete the last part. On copy two, I would delete the first part. An easy way to split the show without copying and pasting.
Darlene

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:29 am

Wow! That's one incredibly long show! It's the length of a shorter film and should definitely be divided up. I've seen others with long shows having the same sort of problem, so I'm thinking too many computer resources are used in the process.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:38 am

I would agree, the show sounds too large to manage in just one big show. You might consider breaking it up into more than just two pieces - maybe 10-15 min segments.

Even family can get bored with viewing family pictures after 10-15 min. Smaller show segments are much easier to compile and to view. People are more prone to come back and watch it again if they don't have to sit through an hour and forty minutes of a show to catch their favorite 30 second clip.

Long transition and slide times can often be shortened. My initial shows had 5-6 seconds for very plain one image slide display with just a small amount of movement. Transitions were 3-4 seconds in some cases. Reducing the length made things so much more manageable and requires less soundtracks too. It seems as the number of soundtracks increase, the editing/rendering and burning process tends to bog down. Ditto for video clips added.

Good luck with getting your show completed. :)
Debbie

Postby im42n8 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:17 am

The 2nd show I ever created ran way over an hour. However, it was made as a series of shows on the disk. The project had 14 different shows in it. PSG doesn't allow projects. So, you'll have to craft each show from the original by cut and paste and the like. Then, when you create the DVD (at least I'm assuming it's for a DVD), you'll tell the program to add each show and then make sure the order of each is correct.

You're probably best to figure out where you can break your show into another one. That way you can reduce the memory footprint at any one time. When you create your show for a DVD, you can add the button to "play all" ... where all shows will play, one after the other. Too, it allows the viewer to quickly view/review those sections of the show that they may want to see again. Unless you process the long show in a program like DVD Encore to add markers (and such), it's a real PITA to try to fast forward to the desired location in a long show (and do so with any real speed).

As for your program disappearing, it's highly probable that you're running into a memory problem. If you have the task manager open, you can review the amount of memory that the program is using. On a typical machine, with 4GB of ram installed, you'll probably be fine until you reach something like 2.3 GB... I can't remember now exactly where I was having problems (I'm not at a location where I can review those numbers) but it would reach that memory limit and suddenly just disappear from memory.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Return to PSG - General Discussion