Slide image motion and transition In

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Slide image motion and transition In

Postby jedloyed » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:10 pm

I saw a reference in the Proshow Gold (5) Help Documentation stating, you could set the image motion to start after transition in is over, but I can't find anything telling me how to do that.
Does anyone know how to do this?

Re: Slide image motion and transition In

Postby cherub » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:52 pm

Can you point us to the place where this is mentioned in the Help file?
Without seeing the actual phrase, it's hard to know what they meant exactly.

In principle, during the time of a single slide, ProShow Gold can show just two motions: a starting position and an ending position.
The starting point cannot be moved, because Gold doesn't use keyframes like Producer.

There are a few tricks that can help you with what I think that you want to accomplish.

One such trick is to have an additional and static slide, BEFORE the slide that shows the motion.
For example, if in your slide, your picture is moving from point A to point B, you would need to place an additional slide before it, showing your picture just "sitting" in position A.
Between these two slides, you need to have a transition of 0 time, giving the impression of a single animation.

So, what you need to build is a chain that would look like this:

Transition (whichever you want to use) - 3 seconds
Static slide - 1 second (or less, if it's looking good to you)
Transition CUT = 0 seconds
Slide with motion - 3 seconds (or more - whatever is specified in your style)

Another trick is to change the panning position of the starting point of your layer, so that the layer has to "travel" more time, until it reaches the entrance into the slide.
That is a bit more complicated to make, and without knowing what kind of motion you want to use, I can't give you precise instructions.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need additional explanations.

Postby jedloyed » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks Cherub for your quick response. Here is the line I spoke of. It appears under #5 Understanding Pro Show - Slide order and timing, and reads:

Why ‘Transition In’ is Important
Transition In is important because, unless you specify otherwise, your layers and any effects are going to begin to be seen on the screen as soon as the slide becomes visible -and the slide becomes visible during the transition period as one slide ends and the next one begins.

Let’s say you’ve added some motion to slide 2. As soon as slide 1 begins to Transition Out, it’s also starting the Transition In to slide 2. When the Transition In starts, the motion starts on slide 2. The transition from a previous slide will kick off the motion on the slide after it. Remember that unless you specifically set motion to start only after the Transition In is over, that motion will begin even before the full slide time on slide 1 has been reached.

I have done the alternate method you suggest and that does work too, but I hoped there might be a more efficient way to do it now and not clutter the show with countless duplicate images just to achieve an effect.

Postby cherub » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:52 am

jedloyed wrote:I have done the alternate method you suggest and that does work too, but I hoped there might be a more efficient way to do it now and not clutter the show with countless duplicate images just to achieve an effect.

Thanks for the quote.
I'm not quite sure why they describe things in Gold the way they do. I understand why the terminology may be confusing. Transition-In and Transition-Out are terms normally used in Producer, and they refer to something a bit different than what's meant here.

I don't know of any other method to postpone the motion in a slide, in Gold, than the methods that I've already described above.
As a rule, motion effects in Gold are done by duplicated slides. Yes, you are right, this duplication does clutter your show. But, there is no other option in Gold.
If you want multiple motions in a single slide, you need to use keyframes, and keyframes are available ONLY in Producer.

Return to PSG - General Discussion