PSG-v6 Viewing Saved files

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related
Valued Member

PSG-v6 Viewing Saved files

Postby RoseW » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:22 pm

I thought it was possible to view the saved files in the File List viewport when clicking on the Saves folder above in the Folder List directory tree.
After installing V6 which went in over top of the previous 5.# there is no content displaying.
The setup I do for a specific show has
Show Topic e.g. Winter
subfolders under Winter
audio
produce
saves
To date the .bak,.psh,.pxc files go into the 'saves' folder.

I had saved with an alternate name since I did not want to overwrite the older original name and I thought I could go into the file list to get that but it looks like I have to do a re open.
Am I having a 'memory lapse' moment and I always used the system explorer to view the saved bak etc files?
Canon 6D,7D,
Lightroom & Photoshop Classic CC, Producer 6, Gold 6
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Re: PSG-v6 Viewing Saved files

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Not sure just what you were doing in the past, but if you mean "watch" a show from a saved file, then you need to save the .px file for the show. The .psh is the show source, the .bak and .b0? are backup files and the .pxc is a cache file used internally by Proshow, but as far as I know, not of any real use by us mortals (although if it gets corrupted, you can get strange things happening in which case, exit proshow, delete the .pxc file, restart proshow and it will rebuild that file again.). Shows "shared" on the sharing site are .px files (although they have a .tmp name in your temp directory when you watch them).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Re: but if you mean "watch" a show from a saved file
No I mean ....just looking at the files. I wanted to check how I had saved the file name....to be sure I would use a new name variation since it was an edit of a show done last March and if I messed up I still had the original.

Hmm... thought I could insert a screenshot saved to hard drive here but I guess not.
No big deal I can keep the file explorer in the task bar.

Rose
Canon 6D,7D,
Lightroom & Photoshop Classic CC, Producer 6, Gold 6
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Oh, OK. Don't bother with the .pxc files - those are the cache file and basically useless to us mortals. I am used to using windows explorer to view the files in various folders. If I use "open" or "save as", I get an explorer window where I can see various .psh files etc, but using the regular window in Producer, it only shows me the file types it knows about as media files (jpg, avi, mp3 that sort of thing). As far as including a screenshot, there are a couple of hoops you need to jump through to do that - you need to have the image 600 pixels or less on the long dimension and you need to have it hosted on a public server somewhere (I use the free account on Photobucket). Then you include a link to the file - you can either use (on Photobucket for example) the "IMG" link they list or you can provide a regular link to the file then highlight it and click the "IMG" button when you are in the posting window.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:24 am

Within Mikey's replies is your answer: We've never been able to see actual show files listed in the Folder listing within ProShow, not even the actual .psh file. You may be remembering having Windows Explorer open when working. Explorer isn't the least prejudiced against any kind of file. It's something I've long wished was true about ProShow. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:07 am

BarbaraC wrote:... Explorer isn't the least prejudiced against any kind of file. ...

Barbara

Well, not *quite* true - explorer will not show "hidden" files unless you have that option checked in the preferences (by default they are not shown). The other preference I ALWAYS check on my system is the one to NOT hide the extensions for known file types. That causes more people more problems. Show me the flippin' files WITH their extensions. For example - Proshow template files are .pst - windows *knows* those are really Outlook (email) files because Outlook uses the same file extension. With the extensions hidden, you are told those are Outlook files so you can't find your template files. Explorer does have it's quirks too :D

mikey

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:17 am

gpsmikey wrote:
BarbaraC wrote:... Explorer isn't the least prejudiced against any kind of file. ...

Barbara

Well, not *quite* true - explorer will not show "hidden" files unless you have that option checked in the preferences (by default they are not shown). The other preference I ALWAYS check on my system is the one to NOT hide the extensions for known file types. That causes more people more problems. Show me the flippin' files WITH their extensions. For example - Proshow template files are .pst - windows *knows* those are really Outlook (email) files because Outlook uses the same file extension. With the extensions hidden, you are told those are Outlook files so you can't find your template files. Explorer does have it's quirks too :D

mikey

Doesn't everyone do things the way I do them? :shock:

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to PSG - General Discussion