Applying Show Background to all slides

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Applying Show Background to all slides

Postby Proulx06 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi all,

First post, first slideshow. Making a 25-min long show for my son's end-of-season football banquet. I'm loving the process so far.

That said, I have a mix of portrait and landscape shots (from early in the season...started shooting landscape-only mid-season), and so I created a nice background and assigned it to be the Show Background. Only for probably 75-100, the background reverts to plain white, which looks awful for the portrait shots. Is there a trick to this, besides going one-by-one and changing the slide options to the Show Background (which works for a single slide, but even if I select multiple and go to slide options, doesn't work for multiple)? FWIW, I'm using ProShow Gold. Producer is not an option at this point.

Thanks all!

Re: Applying Show Background to all slides

Postby Proulx06 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:25 pm

OK, I think I figured this out on my own...what I had done was added all the images to the show, THEN changed the default background. Adding the default background to an existing show did not change the background for the existing images. When I dragged new images to the show, they acted as I would have expected.

Postby Proulx06 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:11 pm

Weird...still me, the OP...but now I'm doing a show for my son's hockey team end-of-season party. I set the show background and dragged the images in, and they are NOT applying the background to the new slides.

I have upgraded since December to 6.0.3410. Did they change a default? How do I get the slides to adopt the show background without changing each one individually?

Thanks!

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:51 pm

I'm not sure just what happened there, but you can set the background for all the slides if you want (or selected ones). To set the same background for all, click the first slide to select it. Now hit CTRL+A to select all slides. Now go to the Show -> background and set it to whatever you want. You can also set it just for selected slides by CTRL+click each slide you want to select or click the first one of a range the SHIFT+click the last one to select a range. Set the background as desired.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby debngar » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:22 am

Applying a "select all" of slides first is not necessary for changing a show background globally. It's sufficient to click >Show>Show Background to accomplish this. I'm pretty sure it works that way in both Gold and Producer.

It does not work to select individual slides to apply a different SHOW background using >Show>Show Background as that choice always changes all slides globally, regardless of how many slides are selected.

Once the show background is changed globally and a new slide is added to a show, it should adopt the same show background. When a slide style is applied though, it can often change the chosen show background for that individual slide to something else, maybe white, grey or black, (if it's a Photodex slide style light or dark themed). Once a slide style is applied, it can sometimes override the global show background for that slide depending on how it was designed. Those slides must have the overridden background changed back to the show background if that's what the use wants to do. Gold users are probably limited as to how easily this can be done due to not having the "copy settings" feature as in Producer.

If Gold has the right click option to "copy to selected slides":

Highlight/select a number of slides to change with the shift+click (continuous sequence) or ctl key with clicks (broken up sequence)
Change one slide to the desired individual background in the slide option slide background area
RIGHT CLICK in the slide option window over the changed settings for the individual SLIDE background for that first slide to get the others to change to the same slide background.

But if a slide style is applied and that style has a different background, it will have that one instead.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby debngar » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:43 am

It does seem to be confusing that regardless of what the global SHOW BACKGROUND is set to be, if the user inserts a new slide next to one that has had the SLIDE BACKGROUND changed, then it adapts to that background, instead of the show background. Not sure it's supposed to do that though. I assumed the program would use the chosen global SHOW background instead.
Debbie

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:05 am

OK, now I'm confused (not unusual ... :evil: ) - when I tried it on a quick sample show last night, I was able to set the backgrounds for only the selected slides. After reading Debbies comment, I tried it again just now and it set the backgrounds for all the slides, not just the ones selected. Honest - it worked different last night ... I think. Have to see if I can re-create what I did last night

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby Proulx06 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:31 pm

gpsmikey wrote:I'm not sure just what happened there, but you can set the background for all the slides if you want (or selected ones). To set the same background for all, click the first slide to select it. Now hit CTRL+A to select all slides. Now go to the Show -> background and set it to whatever you want. You can also set it just for selected slides by CTRL+click each slide you want to select or click the first one of a range the SHIFT+click the last one to select a range. Set the background as desired.

mikey

Thanks for the replies. I want to focus my reply on this method, mikey, because it makes the most sense. But it's still not working for me. Maybe I'll try to upload a video so you can see, but this is what's happening:

-I drag a dozen pictures in, and instead of the default show background, it just gives a white background.

-If I select all 12 pictures and go to Show > Show Background, it shows me the image I want to have as the background, but when I hit OK, it does nothing to the slides.

The only way I seem to be able to change the background on ALL the slides is to go to Slide Options for each one and change it, one by one. So strange.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:56 pm

OK, lets make sure we are doing the same thing - I just tried it again with a sample show and did exactly what you said - show --> show background then clicked the image button and browsed for the image. This set the background image for all slides I had in the show:

Here is what the timeline view looked like with the background image behind the main images:

mikey

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:22 pm

OK, I have figured out what happened to you (but I'm still thinking on a solution ... ). What happens involves a couple of steps and trap doors. The Show -> Show Background ONLY sets the background for those slides where you have not already set their background (they are set to the default). Once you set the background for a slide, then the Show -> Show Background will not override that setting. The second piece of the puzzle is that when you insert a new slide, it picks up the settings from the slide adjacent (duration, transition, background and probably a couple of other things). The point is if you manually set the background of a slide, then any you insert after it pick up that background, not the show default background (at least that is the way it seems to work so far). The obvious solution would be to have an option to clear all the backgrounds so you can set the default and have it work for all of them ... I have not found that yet. More experimenting here is called for I see, but at least I see now how you ended up where setting the default for the show was NOT setting the backgrounds for your slides.

OK, I sort of have it figured out (and think I found a bug at the same time) - select all the slides, then Slide -> Slide Options and chose the "default background" button - that should set them back to the show default (unfortunately, what I encountered was that if the background was set to an image, then it set it back to the default, but if the background was set to a solid color, it did not change it to default but left that slide set to the "solid color" radio button). I will pass this along to Photodex. For those slides, you can set them individually back to the "show default" button and then the show background setting seems to work as expected (now I understand why I got different results last night because I had changed some of the slides backgrounds)

mikey

[edit] "Captain we have discovered a feature" (said in my best Chekov voice) :lol:

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:19 pm

Well after a bit more experimenting, It seems I still don't have it completely figured out. Apparently you can only change the backgrounds on those slides that are the "default" by picking a new default. I have not found an easy way to clear all the backgrounds back to the show default short of doing it one at a time under the slide options for that slide. That coupled with the problem of if you add a slide (or bunch of slides) to the end of the show AND the current last slide (before the addition) has a custom background, all the added ones pick up that custom background

The short term solution is to go into each slide that has a custom background (not the show default) and change it to the show default. Once that is done, changing the show default background will affect all the slides that do NOT have custom backgrounds.

I've now gotten in enough trouble - time to go to bed !! :evil:

mikey

Postby debngar » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:07 am

I fiddled some more with this because I wanted to see what you were seeing Mikey and found it could be replicated.

This is what I just tried:

Changed slides globally to an image (via SHOW background)

Changed SOME images to a gradient.

Went to change them back to DEFAULT but there is no choice for that. There were choices for solid, gradient or image as you discovered.

It seems to me the default choice should be there.
Debbie

Return to PSG - General Discussion