Caption control

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Caption control

Postby hcajones » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:25 pm

I've pretty much figured out using captions in PSG, including behaviors. For example, I'm now making captions in which each letter in a word is its own caption, meaning I can have a word containing letters with different colors and fonts and even different behaviors, if I want to. There is one thing I can't seem to figure out, and I suspect it's because it's just part of PSG and can't be changed, but I thought I'd ask.

When I use one of the Fly In behaviors, the action is often much faster than I want it to be. The letters curl or fade or slide so fast that much of the effect is lost. Is there any way to cause a fly in or fly out behavior to slow down? For example, if I choose "Fade In," is there something I can do to make the fade happen a lot slower than it does automatically?

I really appreciate all the help I get on this site.

Re: Caption control

Postby im42n8 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Because PSG has no real keyframes, there are no "layer" transitions (and I use this term loosely in Gold to include captions), per se. The Fade In transition is 1s long. If you have a transition between slides, it seems to start fading in at some point within the transition slightly before the slidetime and it takes 1s to "play". When I say "slightly before" I mean about 0.1 s before the slide time. That's not much control.

While ProShow's handling of captions is somewhat limited (more so than many of us would like), PSG's handling is REALLY limited. Also, the built-in duration values for each of these transitions is NOT consistent. It's a legacy thing and has never been revisited. I'm not sure but I think they did something between v3 and v4 where the timings changed (tho Photodex said the changes they made to the program were unrelated to the transitions .... problem was, I could prove the timing changes did occur and what the amount of change was). It's extremely doubtful they are ever going to "fix" this . . . they are what they are.

The only way you're going to get around this "problem" is to update to Producer. . . Even there tho, there's a limit to how long or short you can make the transition occur. However, it's an order of magnitude improvement over what you can do in Gold.

So, basically, you are stuck with what you have...

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Re: Caption control

Postby hcajones » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:33 am

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that was the answer, but it's good to know for sure.

Thanks again.

Return to PSG - General Discussion