Floating Photos on Constant Background

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Floating Photos on Constant Background

Postby smile1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi,
I've been using the trial version of Proshow Gold 5 over the last couple of days and enjoy it.
Does anyone know how to get the slide show effects similar to those shown in this video using Proshow Gold 5?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8POW7svhnuY

I can't seem to find any effects where you can keep the background constant while floating photos around.
Thanks!

Re: Floating Photos on Constant Background

Postby cherub » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:40 pm

smile1 wrote:Hi,
I've been using the trial version of Proshow Gold 5 over the last couple of days and enjoy it. ...
...I can't seem to find any effects where you can keep the background constant while floating photos around.

That's because you can't do such effects in ProShow Gold, only in ProShow Producer
The effects that you are showing require multiple keyframes in a single slide.
ProShow Gold has just two keyframes - a starting point and an ending point - but it has nothing for what happens in between. :cry:
It also doesn't have opacity (transparency) values, either.

Proshow Gold can make SOME of these effects, if you apply the following principle: a layer (picture) can move just once in each slide: From point A to point B.
If you want to move more than once, then you have to create additional slides. Each slide continues the motion from the previous slide.
Zooming in on a picture is also a kind of motion - from small to large.

You should create a chain of slides that has the following movements, for each layer.
slide 1 - from A to B
Slide 2 - from B to C
Slide 3 - from C to D

Notice the Copy button. Choose the option "Copy End to Next Slide". This will ensure that slide 2 starts at exactly the same point where Slide 1 has ended. All you have to do in slide 2 is to move the layer in the desired Ending position.

In between all these slides of the chain, you should place a CUT transition of 0 time. This will create the impression that everything moves in one continuous animation.

So, to answer your original question, you will have to include the same background in every single slide that you make in the chain.
A background doesn't necessarily have to be inserted in the slide through the Slide Options > Background.
It can also be inserted as a separate layer, that is placed at the bottom of your pile of layers.

Please let us know if you need more information.

Postby smile1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:58 am

Hi Cherub, thanks very much for your response. I've been busy last week, but I'm going to try some of these steps now. So are you saying in ProShow Producer you can get these exact effects?
Thanks again!

Postby cherub » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:10 am

Yes, you can make them in Producer. But this doesn't mean that you don't have to work for them. :D They are not built-in in the program, if that's what you think.
You do need to have some understanding of keyframes (that I mentioned before), and of how the program works, in general. The learning curve in Producer is steeper than in Gold.
But there are many other effects that are built-in, or that can be bought, and that can be used instead of the ones that appear in that example that you gave. Do you have to reproduce that video clip exactly ?

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:05 am

Just to add to Mona's comment - some folks have never encountered "keyframes" before and think they are unique to Producer (and invented by Photodex to drive us crazy). In reality, they are worth getting to understand because you will find them in almost all video editing programs as well as all animation type stuff where things "move" in some form or another over time. The keyframes are used to define what happens at what time, so learning them is worth your time if you plan to work with video or animation stuff as well.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby im42n8 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:10 am

You can check out the 3rd Party vendors (look in the MarketPlace on this site: viewforum.php?f=7) for examples and the Photodex website for examples.

Gold is VERY limited in what it can do. Yes, with some 3rd party programs and some tenacity, you can create some very interesting effects with Gold. However, it is so limited in what it can do, that you would quickly find yourself wanting more. It's a nice program and can do a lot in the hands of an expert. But, if you want lots of control over your show, Producer is a good investment.

There is a learning curve to achieve some of the special effects you see. However, you can create some very good slideshows using Producer much like you would Gold. As you gain familiarity with the program, you will start adding special little tweaks to get more out of it. Plus, there are LOTS of 3rd party transitions and slide styles that can tide you over until you can figure out how to do the more complex or involved effects.

Dale

PS There are a number of tutorials available, both on this site and on various 3rd party sites as well. These can help you get familarized with the program. Then too, Photodex published a book that can also help you get over some of the learning curve to putting together a good slide show: Secrets of ProShow Experts.. Also, there's a book on this forum that can help as well ... while it was created in an earlier version of ProShow, most of the concepts are still applicable: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9359
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:55 pm

A lot of people think they should start out with Gold and work their way up to Producer, but because you can use Producer as if it were Gold, learning all the most basic moves and then slowly learning the ins and outs of Producer, my advice is to start right out with the big guy. I foolishly began with Gold, and then before the first year was up, Producer was in my shopping cart.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to PSG - General Discussion