Changing origingal photo file locations - consequences?

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Changing origingal photo file locations - consequences?

Postby hcajones » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:56 am

After I make a PSG slideshow, if I move one of the photos in the slideshow to a different folder or file, will that make PSG unable to open the show or lead to other problems? I know PSG has a function to "search" for missing photos when it opens a slideshow, but I don't know if that means it could find a photo even if had been moved to a different folder or file.

I want to reorganize quite a few photos that are now in folders and files that contain photos used in PSG slideshows I've created, but I'm concerned that this will result in, in effect, a loss of the slideshow on the computer.

As always, thanks for you help.

Re: Changing origingal photo file locations - consequences?

Postby cherub » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:18 pm

hcajones wrote:After I make a PSG slideshow, if I move one of the photos in the slideshow to a different folder or file, will that make PSG unable to open the show or lead to other problems? I know PSG has a function to "search" for missing photos when it opens a slideshow, but I don't know if that means it could find a photo even if had been moved to a different folder or file.

I want to reorganize quite a few photos that are now in folders and files that contain photos used in PSG slideshows I've created, but I'm concerned that this will result in, in effect, a loss of the slideshow on the computer.

As always, thanks for you help.

ProShow will be able to open that show, even after you move some of the pictures, but it will report missing files, and offer to look for them.
ProShow cannot look for your picture on all your computer, after you've moved it from its place.
What it can do, is to ask for your help in finding it. YOU must navigate to the exact folder where that picture is located and double click on it. After you've located the first picture, if more missing pictures are located in the same folder, then ProShow will locate them as well, automatically. But... the very first finding of a missing picture must be done by you, manually.

If you want to reorganize the pictures of each show, I think that the best method is to use the function "Collect show files". In this way you'll all the files contained in your show, in just one directory, with three folders: image, audio, video.

Postby hcajones » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:39 pm

You said: "If you want to reorganize the pictures of each show, I think that the best method is to use the function "Collect show files". In this way you'll all the files contained in your show, in just one directory, with three folders: image, audio, video."

While I am getting competent with PSG, I am an idiot about computer matters in general. Where is the "Collect show files" function to be found? If I'm following you, and I use this function, PSG will then in effect have "saved" all the photos in that slideshow separately, so it won't matter if I move the original photo from their original locations?

Do I have this right?

I really appreciate your help.

Postby cherub » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Actually, Collect Show Files is a function of ProShow itself :D
You can find it in Tools > Collect Show Files.

But, you do need to have a basic knowledge of your computer, if you want to keep some kind of order in your work.
For example, you do need to know how to create a directory on your hard drive, so that you may be able to tell ProShow where you want to collect all those files.

After you collect the show files, you may move the original pictures anywhere you want, because you will have duplicates in the folders that ProShow collected for you.

Return to PSG - General Discussion