large show saving and partial burn

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

large show saving and partial burn

Postby bigharold » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:05 am

I have a completed show that is on my 50th hi school reunion. Has 350 slides (45 min.) I want to be able to do
the following because I would like to take a few examples of the show to the reunion and sell copies.
1. Tried to complete a start show and wasn't able as the "create exacutable" was creating the entire show and only want intro show.
2. If possible can I save and transfer just portions of show on thumb drive and take with me for examples?
3. I think the orders will include additional pictures and will come at different times and will need to still have
a changeable show to add pictures and music.
Hope this is not too diverse a question. I have the latest version of PS Gold and use on windows 7

Re: large show saving and partial burn

Postby cherub » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:56 am

bigharold wrote:1. Tried to complete a start show and wasn't able as the "create exacutable" was creating the entire show and only want intro show.

An intro show is a show made of one slide or of several slides, that is in addition to the original show, and it must be created separately.
Only after you've created this additional show and have saved it, you'll be able to insert it as an intro show in your final executable.
Open your original show > Create Executable > Check mark on Include Intro Show > Select show.
Navigate to where you saved the additional show, and select it.

bigharold wrote:2. If possible can I save and transfer just portions of show on thumb drive and take with me for examples?

Yes, and no... :D
Portions of your original show are just other shows (smaller ones..).
This means that you will have to take out several slides from your original show, and to use them to create other, independent shows, and their respective executables.
You can use the functions of copy and paste to create these extra shows:
Open your original show, copy the slides that you need, and close the show. Open a new show, and paste the slides that you copied.
However, you must be aware that when you copy slides, the music track does not get copied, so you will have to reinsert audio tracks in your new small shows.

I'm not sure how well an executable will play out of a flash drive. Could be that you'll get better results if you make video clips instead.

Alternatively, instead of these smaller shows, you can make a video out of your original show, and use a 3rd party video editing program to cut it into fragments/portions.
bigharold wrote:3. I think the orders will include additional pictures and will come at different times and will need to still have a changeable show to add pictures and music.

If you are afraid that all these changes will affect your original show, all you have to do is to save your show with a different name. For example "My Show for Later Use" :D

Hope this helps. If you need more clarifications, please don't hesitate to ask again.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:32 pm

Mona is correct in her comments. While some (many?) video editing programs (Sony Vegas which I am familiar with) do allow you to "render a selected region", Proshow is only set up to make a complete show. While running an .exe from a thumb drive may work, recognize it depends on the speed of the thumbdrive/usb interface as well as the hardware in the computer you are playing it on. I think a better approach would be to render to a format like mp4 then use a third party utility (there are a number of them out there) to snip the mp4 you created into selected "segments" or "clips" as you want. You may also find you get better results with your thumb drive if you copy the data across to the computer you are playing from instead of trying to play from the thumb drive. Also recognize that an exe only plays on the pc side of the fence - you can't run it on a Mac (unless your are running windows under Fusion, Parallels or some other such thing on the Mac). As for adding more pictures later, there is really no way around having to add them to an existing show then re-render the output (which only makes sense when you think about how you would automatically add transitions/styles/music to make it all work). There will always be that 1 person who, just after your final render and burn to DVD, shows up with a bunch of images that just HAVE to be added :twisted:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby bigharold » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:31 pm

thanks I watched a tutorial from gavin hoey and have added a intro show.
If I make an ISO file for the show will I be able to reopen and reactivate the show to add more images
I also could think of no other way but to re render the show if I have to add at a later
date

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:17 pm

"If I make an ISO file for the show will I be able to reopen and reactivate the show to add more images"

No - an ISO is simply an image of the DVD (or CD) and contains all the same files that would be on the DVD. Unless you are doing something special (like including all the source on the disk), then the ISO simply contains the mpeg2 files that make up the DVD. Unfortunately, there is no way to get back to the original source from the mpeg2 (which is the rendered output from Proshow). A number of folks have been bitten by that one - create the ISO or DVD's, remove/lose the original source then want to change the spelling of a word, change an image or whatever. There is no easy way to do that. ISO files are great (and the way I create my shows), but they don't give you a way back to the original which would include the .psh files, source images etc.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby bigharold » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:46 pm

ok not what I wanted to know I guess next question would be
-is there any "DRM" type of block built into a proshow. I could just copy the dvd with a 3rd party
software
It looks like I will have to set a date for any additional pictures to be added and then create the show with as many copies as I need

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:15 am

Nope - no DRM junk in there. The easiest way to copy your DVD to make multiple copies is to make the ISO first then use something like the free Imgburn to make as many copies as you want from the ISO (that is the way I do it).

mikey

Postby bigharold » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:44 pm

I finished the show and have mailed the copies needed. My question is which files can I remove from my computer for cleanup. In the past if I remove the .bak or .psh files the show would end up with "file missing" on some slides and I would like to possibly burn additional copies in the future. I did create a >iso file that I have and I think I can delete all other files and that one would be ok but don't want to chance it

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:40 pm

Depends on what you want to do with the show later. The .bak and .b0? files are backup files and can reasonably safely be deleted. You can delete the .pxc file for the show - that is a temporary cache file Proshow builds when it is working on your show (and will rebuild if it is deleted). The showname.psh file is the main instructions for your show - that is what Proshow uses to build the show and contains all the pointers to source files, timing information etc. If you delete that, you can't edit the show later if you wanted to. Same thing applies to all the source files you used - if you delete them, you can't re-create the show later. Lots of people have been bitten with the deleting everything except the ISO for example then later, want to change an image (like delete an ex-spouse for example) or change the spelling when they find an obvious error. It is tough to do without the sources. You can edit the video in a video editor, but doing things like changing spelling etc is not a simple task. Your choice as to what level of being able to edit/change/re-create it later.

mikey

Return to PSG - General Discussion