ProShows missing on You-Tube

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

ProShows missing on You-Tube

Postby GramRfone » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:19 am

On the face of it this might this might not appear to be a ProShow problem, but there is a 100% connection!
In 2010 I began to upload all my ProShow videos to You-Tube under a series generic title. There are now 44 in total. I went along with a Google request to create a new Account which I believed would still allow me to add to the series, but have just discovered this is not so. I do not qualify for a Legacy Account due to the date of the first video and the 2011 cut-off date. Neither, and this is the annoying part, can I log in to my OLD You-Tube account (which I understand is one way around the problem) because in the past 3 months I have changed my ISP and the prompts to access the OLD You-Tube account only allow me to proceed if I enter the OLD ISP in order to proceed to the next page for retrieval! I can still access all the 44 videos by typing in the Generic title direct to You-Tube, but the 45th video which I've just uploaded via the new Google/You-Tube account is (naturally) not shown. So I have two questions (1) Does anyone know a way around this so that my 'followers' ( for want of a better description ) will be able to see ALL the videos or (2) am I into a situation of having to re-upload all the previous 44 videos to the new account thus looseing all the lovely comments, stats, hit figures etc?

Re: ProShows missing on You-Tube

Postby cherub » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:55 am

Yes, the new UI of YouTube is extremely confusing. I've had some problems of my own, so, I fully sympathize.

When you mention the ISP, do you actually mean the email address? Because YouTube accounts are usually linked to an email address and nothing else.

As you mentioned, the solution is to change the email address in your old account and not to create a completely new account.
Can you try to explain once again why you can't actually log into your old account? Is it because you no longer have that email address, because it belongs to your old ISP ?
I'm not sure if you need to still own that email address. You can still write it when asked to, and in combination with your password, you should be able to enter your account.

Postby debngar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:17 am

I sympathize. I have three YT channel accounts and would like to make it so all of the channels are still maintained but accessed by one email address, not three. In the past, Google/YT didn't allow that. Does anyone know if that's changed?

I frequently get prompted when accessing YT when signed in with one address to make changes. At the moment, I'm don't want to make changes as it's not certain to me whether it could cause loss of access to manage some or all the current shows I have online. One account keeps popping up asking if I want to change the name. I don't want to change channel name. I want to change the email address.

At least one of my three channels is a legacy channel. But I've not uploaded a video to that one in a while.

I see there is the new "One Channel" thing available but I doubt it would combine all my channels' shows into one. This is probably why I'm hesitant to make changes. If I allow it to migrate to ONE channel, then I question whether the link to the older shows embedded in my blog posts all these years will still work or not. If not, then the YT URLs would be incorrect and they would all have to be edited to reflect the updated URL. UGH. :shock: It might affect videos that have been posted to the forum here as well.

Thoughts anyone? :roll:
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby cherub » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:53 am

Debbie,
I'm far from understanding the logic of YouTube :D
Either my own way of thinking is not the same as that of those kids working at Google, or, they do it on purpose, to confuse us, just like FaceBook. The less you understand how to "customize" your account, the more private information they may get out of you.

What I do know, is that when I opted to change the name of my account, I ended up with two accounts on the same email address :D
Not what I expected at all :D
It took me about one hour to find the "switch button", where I could log in, and still see my normal channel.
I still have an additional channel, that's not used :D

But, in principle, I don't think that you can unify your old accounts into one, with three names.
You will have to create additional names and upload your old videos again. At least, that's how I think that it works now.

Postby debngar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:14 am

cherub wrote:-snip-

But, in principle, I don't think that you can unify your old accounts into one, with three names.
You will have to create additional names and upload your old videos again. At least, that's how I think that it works now.

That's what I figured. I doubt that idea will fly for lots of people due to the broken links it could cause all over the internet! What good would a Google search do for someone's finely tuned SEO related to their website if all the videos don't show any longer. Companies paying for ad space on videos to Google would lose out as well as the websites losing prime placement on the first page of search. Because of the number of videos uploaded related to my pet photography, depending on the key words in the search, several of them can show up first and foremost, even above the local Google listings for "Rocklin pet photographer". If I lost that, I might as well start over or have to change all the URL in my blog posts. Sigh...

If a morphed channel could contain both old and new videos of that subject, then the old URLS would remain intact. I wouldn't bother trying to upload the older ones again. Google algorithms for SEO position take into consideration the span of time a website's posts have been online and how much related content is up there already. Just dumping a bunch onto the internet in one day wouldn't fix that problem as I understand it. :|
Last edited by debngar on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby cherub » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:25 am

Yes, exactly.
But, in your case, you may choose to keep the pet photography as main identity and email, and to add additional names for the other channels, where the SEO and the old links are not that important.

I guess that new members of YouTube can benefit from this change, but old ones, not so much.

Postby GramRfone » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:11 pm

Thank you Cherub for your reply. I figured I was not alone judgeing by the number of posts on the Internet.

Yes, in my attempts to retrieve my old password details I arrved at a page requesting I insert my former ISP e-mail address so that You Tube could then (presumably) remind me what the password was by sending it to me. But as that address no longer exists......

Even when I actually insert the old e-mail address, it tells me that its the wrong one. Additionally it then proceeds to ask me for the last 'known' password. As I had that written down this was not a problem but each time I nsert it, I'm informed it is wrong! From what I can recall it all centres around the time when Google asked me to have a new account, and which I foolishly thought would be a good route to go down. How wrong could I (and others) be.

Tonight I find one of my videos has been removed, but the 'learn why' link doesn't equate with any of their suggestions other than 'try again later'. I shall do just that and in the meantime consider my next move...but thank you all for the comments.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:32 am

I fell for the lure to create a Google account but was then saved by an over-active panic button. The moment I saw everything I'd ever done disappear, panic set in, and at that time, it was possible to get things back to the way they were. Hope you'll be able to do the same.

(Google was once upon a time such a neat search engine, and nothing more.)

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby cherub » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:49 am

GramRfone wrote:...Even when I actually insert the old e-mail address, it tells me that its the wrong one. Additionally it then proceeds to ask me for the last 'known' password. As I had that written down this was not a problem but each time I nsert it, I'm informed it is wrong!

Have you tried to delete the cookies and the cache of your browser, and then to try to log into your old account?
If your browser has no "memories", I can't imagine how YouTube would recognize you. :D

Return to PSG - General Discussion