Blu Rey show problems Question

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Blu Rey show problems Question

Postby JoeS1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Have been trying to create a Blu Rey show. When shown on a reasonably new tv and high end player the light highlights flicker. The images look normal in Photoshop. I tried "desaturate" down to 60 % which helped but marginally. Called Photodex and they suggested not to deasaturate and check to make sure tv and player was set to 60 hz. Cant say that helped. (surprisingly tv was set to 59 hz)
Made a standard dvd and and it works exceptionally well in a standard player and slightly better in a Blu Rey player that upscales. For the moment I'm using that.

However I would like to find out what the problem is with the highlight flicker. The flicker appears on the sides of very light tan elephants, bright leaf edges and wherever the highlight is strong.

Anyone have ideas?
Thks Joe S

Re: Blu Rey show problems Question

Postby Jeep » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 pm

Flickering is rather hard to eliminate because most of time this is due to a lack of resolution of the display peripheral.
TV with a upgrading procedure are in this case. The upgrade process adds inbetween pixels with an realtime universal algorythm which may be inappropriate on some images.
One of the clue is to lower the resolution of original images as to import them with less information to be processed.

Flickering may be present when images have large zones with bright colors, the process has great difficulties to operate. Photodex is right to ask to use a display at 60 Hz because this eliminates a few the flickering. Ideal should be a 100 or 200 Hz TV for example.
Jean-Pierre

My blog
Processor: Intel Quad core 2.33 Ghz - RAM: 4 Gb - Windows 8.1 64 bits - Video: Nvidia 720GT 2 Gb- Camera : Canon 5D Mark II + 24-105 + 100-400 - Sharing : jean_pierre

Re: Blu Rey show problems Question

Postby JoeS1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:25 am

Jeep, the flickering only appears when I use a Blu Ray disc I created. If I use a standard DVD of the exact show in the Blu Ray player that upgrades to near Blu Ray quality there is no flickering. So the upgrade is not the problem its the Blu Ray creation thats the problem.

If I lower the resolution of the images for Blu Ray it seems to me that it defeats the purpose of Blu Ray. That would bring it back to DVD quality. So why bother?

Maybe I will try to find someone with a tv that operates at a higher frequency like say 240 hz.
Thks Joe S

Return to PSG - General Discussion