How to add lines and arrows to a movie clip

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

How to add lines and arrows to a movie clip

Postby alavoie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:18 am

What would be the easiest way to draw lines and arrows on a movie clip? Ideally the lines would stay there as the movie is playing but if this is too difficult then I can settle for just splitting the clip, taking a snapshot, editing the pic and insert it where the clip was split. Is there a way to easily take a snapshot of a clip and splitting a clip in two part within PSG or PSP?

Thanks for the help, very much apprectiated

Alain

Re: How to add lines and arrows to a movie clip

Postby debngar » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:39 am

Hi Alain,

You could try using some wingding/dingbat character caption layers and size them to your needs. They can be colored like any other font. If you're spotlighting a particular area on a map, using the letter "O" or "X" over the area can work too.

If you're using ProShow Gold, (I assume because you posted in this section) the lines/arrows must display throughout the clip which plays over the entire slide. That limits how the lines will be displayed as there is no keyframe capabilities with Gold.

You might be able to break it up into 2 parts of the clip to play over two slides with a still capture in the middle (as a 3rd slide). But I use Producer and can't remember if Gold can do screen captures to created a jpg or png like Producer can. Someone who is a regular user of Gold can fill you in about that. It's easy to do with Producer, yes.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby alavoie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks Debbie for the Dingbat idea.

Alain

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:05 pm

Actually, probably the handiest tool I have is called "Snagit" which is designed to make it easy to capture a screenshot of your screen or portion of the screen. One of the features it has built in that works very well (I use it all the time) is the ability to draw arrows, circles and all sorts of other stuff on the image (there are lots of "stamps" you can use too like special numbers, faces etc.). Very handy tool to have. I have no connection with them other than a happy user of two copies I have purchased (one for me and one for my wife - she loves it too!! )
http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby mikemullett » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:44 am

As you say a great tool Mikey - I have used all versions and am now on v11. I write many Tutorials for Computer classes and this programme is invaluable for screen illustrations.
~~Mike~~
There's no such thing as problems, only challenges
Nikon D5300 DSLR, PSP, Photoshop CS6, Premiere Elements 8, Adobe After Effects. Have just built a Win 7 Core I5 machine, 8G ram, 1TB hard disk

Return to PSG - General Discussion