Ideas Needed - Please!

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Ideas Needed - Please!

Postby pdorsett » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:29 am

I recently did a four song slide show with video for a graduation party and it was great! I actually got a standing ovation...I was asked at a graduation party to record everyone that attended so that they could say a few words to the graduate. I was able to section out each clip but now I don't have any ideas on how to setup the show. What I wanted to do was to have one song playing and to have each video clip come in some type of way with their words of wisdom but it looks dull. I then thought that I would add some pictures but I don't want to get carried away and do a small slide show.

Doe anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Re: Ideas Needed - Please!

Postby texan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:22 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcyAi3JUCTY

I did an engagement party a few years back (See it on the YouTube link above) and had each couple that came; write down a short "wish" statement to the Special Couple................

I then took a photo of each couple and brought their statement into their photo as a text............

The idea arrives about 5 minutes into the video..........

Hope this might help you a little.............

Cheers

Texan
Texan

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:13 pm

It depends how many people we are talking about here - if it is a small number, it could work, but watching 50 segments of talking people just isn't likely to fit into a format anyone will want to spend the time watching. One idea that *might* work would be (depending on the length of the "speeches") would be to edit the video segments to show the people talking at the start of the segment with the rest of the segment continuing the speech, but with pictures of the graduate growing up or something like that substituted for the "talking head". I recently found a good book called "how to shoot video that doesn't suck" and one of the comments in there is the statement that "the opposite of good is OFF" or words to that effect - if you don't get and hold their attention in some manner, they turn it off or wander away - no matter how good the images are. The trick is to create a video or show that has a goal - to teach something, show how someone progressed etc, rather than a desired result of "get lots of views". You might want to check the book out - it had some really good ideas in it (I have not finished reading it yet). I could see a bunch of segments though that started with the speaker (and maybe a caption of who they are which will be handy 10 years from now :lol: ) but with other interesting pictures during the speech. That is the best answer I can think of - sorry !

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby PhotoMill » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi Mike,
I'm about to enter that realm, and so this conversation is very interesting. I recently took a lot of stills and video of a joint "Birthday" and "Retirement" celebration. It was double barreled only because of the rarity of family members getting together en mass during the year.

Would you happen to have the ISPN for the book that you are referring to ?? Would be appreciated. Sounds like an interesting read.

...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:12 pm

The book is at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Shoot-Video-That- ... 761163239/

While it is orientated towards video specifically, I found much of the stuff in it definitely pertains to what we are doing here. The guy has a good sense of humor and brings up a lot of good points. The chapters are well organized.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - General Discussion