Order of photos changes when moved to PSG

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Order of photos changes when moved to PSG

Postby hcajones » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:27 am

I am really hoping that I am just missing something obvious here, but I can't figure it out.

I created a folder containing all the photos I want to use in a slidehow. I've done this many time before. I then renamed each slide in that folder with a number to force the slides into the order in which I want to use them in the PSG slideshow. 05, 10, 15, 20, etc. After I've done this, the slides in the folder are in exactly the right order and show the names (numbers) I gave to to each one.

However, when I go to PSG to create the slideshow and click on that folder to move those photos into the workspace, the photos come up in PSG in a different order showing different names.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thank you.

Re: Order of photos changes when moved to PSG

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:43 am

Did you access that folder previous to renaming the photos? If so, the folder list needs to be refreshed because it's remembering how things were rather than how they are. Very typical and annoying ProShow behavior. In ProShow, close the folder, click on another folder, and then open the folder with your photos. It should now show all the right names in the correct order.

I wish Photodex would fix this, but since they haven't over all the years, hope has dwindled.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby hcajones » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm not sure what I've done, but I can't seem to get to the point to start what you suggested I do.

You're right - I did open a folder as I began to create a slideshow, but I never created that slideshow. I exited and closed and no show was saved.

However, when I open PSG now (just in general - not a specific show), even though the popup "New Slide Show" box asks me if I want to create and show and asks me to name if it I want to, the photos from the folder I opened before still show up in the old order with the old numbers in the Slide List. I can't find a way to close any folder (as you suggest) to make those go away so I can then bring them in from the reconfigured folder.

So how do I make the photos that have already attached themselves to this non-existent slide show go away so I can start from scratch?

Once again I suspect I am just missing something obvious, but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks for your help.

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:01 am

Open the new (not-yet existing) slide show, and then do the closing and opening of folders. After that, whether you choose to open an existing show or to leave ProShow and go back in, the correct photo names and order of those photos will appear in the folder list. If you can't get as far as opening a new or existing show, then something much deeper is wrong and will require deleting a couple files within the ProShow software folder. Those files are proshow.cfg and proshow.phd.

Barbara

Postby hcajones » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:17 pm

I still can't figure this out. Just being thick, I think.

When I open ProShow, I get the "New Slide Show" popup box where I can create a show title and chose an aspect ratio. At this point, of course, there is no show. To the left of that popup box is the Folder List. In that list is the folder containing the photos I want, except they have old names and are out of order. If I close that folder, and then reopen it, I get the same photos with the old names in the wrong order.

But if I go to the folder outside Proshow where those photos are stored, they appear with the new names and in the right order.

In the "File List" beneath "Folder List," the "wrong photos" are already there when I open Proshow. (Right photos but with wrong names and in the wrong order.) If I try to delete these, they want to disappear from the main folder where I keep them as well -- they go to the recycle bin.

I think the problem is that I've done something that causes the "wrong" photos to automatically open up in the File List every time I open ProShow, but I don't know how I did that and obviously don't know how to fix it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Any new ones?

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:31 am

One last gasp of something to try: Close every folder in the list, and then close the main folder that contains all those other folders you just closed. Now reopen the main folder and then open the folder where you have the misnamed files. If this doesn't help, I'd suggest going into Windows Explorer, creating a brand-new folder into which you move all the image files, delete the original folder, and then reopen ProShow to see what the folder list says. In this case, you'll definitely have to close and reopen the main folder to force a refresh.

You are not alone in having these irritating problems with the folder list. Everyone has, at one time or another, come up against them.

Barbara

Postby hcajones » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:16 pm

The random changes in order of slides is becoming a major problem in PSG.

I am making a DVD show of a vacation. To start, I put all photos for each day of the vacation into a separate folder. Inside that folder, I put the photos in exactly the right order, and then I renamed every photo with sequential numbers (10, 20, 30, etc.) So when I open the folder, #10 is the first photo shown (first photo of the day) and all of the rest of the photos show in number order.

I was very careful NOT to use any of these photos for anything in PSG until I had them completely set up in the daily folders. Yesterday, I started to make the slide show. When I imported the photos from the first of the daily folders, about eight photos were randomly out of order.

It takes a huge amount of work to fix this. Some daily folders have 100 photos and there are 15 days of photos. So having to compare what PSG imported to what the list should like and then cutting and pasting a bunch of slides to get them into the right order inside PSG is a real pain.

Is there anything more I can do to ensure that PSG imports photos from folders in the same order they are in the folder?

Thanks.

Postby heckydog » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:56 pm

hcajones wrote:The random changes in order of slides is becoming a major problem in PSG.

I am making a DVD show of a vacation. To start, I put all photos for each day of the vacation into a separate folder. Inside that folder, I put the photos in exactly the right order, and then I renamed every photo with sequential numbers (10, 20, 30, etc.) So when I open the folder, #10 is the first photo shown (first photo of the day) and all of the rest of the photos show in number order.

I was very careful NOT to use any of these photos for anything in PSG until I had them completely set up in the daily folders. Yesterday, I started to make the slide show. When I imported the photos from the first of the daily folders, about eight photos were randomly out of order.

It takes a huge amount of work to fix this. Some daily folders have 100 photos and there are 15 days of photos. So having to compare what PSG imported to what the list should like and then cutting and pasting a bunch of slides to get them into the right order inside PSG is a real pain.

Is there anything more I can do to ensure that PSG imports photos from folders in the same order they are in the folder?

Thanks.

If you are numbering your photos as 10, 20, 30, etc, and you have as many as 100 photos in a folder, you should be numbering them as 0010, 0020, 0030, etc because your 100th photo will be numbered 1000.

I'm sure PSG, and PSP for that matter, is sorting strictly on the ASCII character value and does not treat 0010 as an actual number but rather as just another text string. In other words, 10 and 0010 are not the same thing when it comes to sorting by the name of a picture.

Joe

Postby hcajones » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Actually, I have never reached as high as photo number 1000 in any folder. That's because as I put them in order, I may put a slide in between 450 and 460, which I will number 452. Etc.

So my slides start with 10, and the last one may be 790, or something like that.

When I open the folder, they come up in the right order every time. It's only when I import them into PSG that they fall out of order.

Thanks.

Postby heckydog » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:22 pm

OK, then you need to start with 010, not 10. Or if you want to start with 5 then you have to number it as 005. This will let you go up to 999 without any problems.

If you name them as Image_xxx.jpg, for example, it would have to be like this:

Image_001.jpg
Image_002.jpg
|
|
|
Image_098.jpg

and so on.

If you do Image_35.jpg and later on do Image_150.jpg, it will put the 150 before the 35.

Joe

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:32 am

It used to be that we had to accommodate Windows' method of dealing with numbers, but these days, we all have software that deals with numbers a lot better, and this includes Windows Explorer, which will place numbers in this order: 001, 1, 10. If Microsoft can do this, you'd think the file browser in ProShow would do it too, but unfortunately, the browser doesn't draw from Windows, but is, instead, designed by Photodex.

We're all irritated by it, but I think that unless Photodex receives a large number of complaints about it, they won't redesign the browser. I know they've had it mentioned to them, but I don't know the quantity of those complaints.

Barbara

Postby heckydog » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:00 am

BarbaraC wrote:It used to be that we had to accommodate Windows' method of dealing with numbers, but these days, we all have software that deals with numbers a lot better, and this includes Windows Explorer, which will place numbers in this order: 001, 1, 10. If Microsoft can do this, you'd think the file browser in ProShow would do it too, but unfortunately, the browser doesn't draw from Windows, but is, instead, designed by Photodex.

We're all irritated by it, but I think that unless Photodex receives a large number of complaints about it, they won't redesign the browser. I know they've had it mentioned to them, but I don't know the quantity of those complaints.

Barbara

The problem here is that the "number" is not really a number when it's part of a title. You can sort properly by file size or date because they are in separate columns and Explorer can use the proper algorithm to sort them. Same thing happens when you work on a spreadsheet where you have to format a column as text, numbers, dates, etc, to tell the program how to treat what it finds there.

In the file name we see it as a number but to Proshow it's just another character so they need to be aligned properly.

This all assumes that that is what is causing her sorting issues. If we had a screen grab of what the file list looks like, it may turn out to be something else. :wink:

Joe

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:27 am

Joe, before I spoke up, I ran a test with numbers in front of file names. In Windows Explorer, they sorted by number first, but they don't sort properly in ProShow. I know that ProShow doesn't use the Windows module for the file browser, and therein lies everyone's tale of woe. :(

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:57 am

Now this is strange!

I was with Joe, but then I opened a folder with just four .jpg's and tried renaming in various numer formats and found in windows explorer they showed in the order 10, 15, 020, 25. This is just as Barbara said exploer would do.

I then opened this in Proshow, and lo and behold it was still in the same order, and not 020, 10, 15, 25 which would be an alpha-numeric sort, (it was just the same as explorer).

I'll have to try and work this out :?
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:23 am

Brian, you're right about the strangeness. When I do it in ProShow, the order isn't numeric. Maybe you got the one and only Easter egg. Or maybe I'm the only one who didn't. :D

Barbara

Next

Return to PSG - General Discussion