Can a soundtrack location be locked in?

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Re: Can a soundtrack location be locked in?

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:16 am

I'm obviously due to revisit this. I always try to choose music with a length that matches the show, but every now and then there's a piece that's perfect in every way but its length. I don't like fading out music because the fade often ends up making it sound as if the musician ran out of steam.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby cherub » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:23 am

Barbara,
The shows that we make to illustrate our slide styles are different than the normal shows.
In normal shows, you don't know in advance how long your show is going to be, and how much "material" it will contain. Most of the time, you start with lots and lots of pictures, and during the process of the show creation, you reduce the number. You also don't know in advance what styles are suitable, and which aren't, and how a certain transition would look like in one place, as opposed to another.
You choose the music by what you think that it would be appropriate, but may prove in the end not so adequate.
The "machine" (quick synch and or the wizard) can make drafts for you in no time at all.

By contrast, a show that illustrates my styles, has a given content. All the styles must be used :D
That's a different goal all together.
Last edited by cherub on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:08 am

cherub wrote:By contrast, a show that illustrates my styles, has a given content. All the styles must be used :D
That's a different goal all together.

Oh, don't we ever know it! Most of our creativity is spent on the design side of it, and what we demo must show the designs true to form. Ten styles that average 8 seconds each must take up 80 seconds with very little wiggle room. We can wiggle in the intro, in-between slides, and outro, but other than that--it's a prison, I tell you, an absolute prison! :shock: :D

Barbara

Postby cherub » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:20 am

BarbaraC wrote:Oh, don't we ever know it! Most of our creativity is spent on the design side of it, and what we demo must show the designs true to form. Ten styles that average 8 seconds each must take up 80 seconds with very little wiggle room. We can wiggle in the intro, in-between slides, and outro, but other than that--it's a prison, I tell you, an absolute prison! :shock: :D
Barbara

Well, I wouldn't call it "a prison". I find it rather pleasing to finally put my styles to work. I enjoy the stage of the demo, and I'm having fun.
There are limitations, of course...
Let's call it "confining" :D

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:03 am

cherub wrote:Let's call it "confining" :D

Most often, that's what it is, but there are times when I think up all kinds of "interesting" things to do with the styles, actions that aren't built into them, and I end up rattling the prison bars.

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:09 am

My customers will supply the music they want with their shows. Sometimes they want a specific tune starting with a specific image. I will sometimes use the ProShow synch feature to get a rough indication of how much time adjustment is needed for the images, slides, and/or their transitions during a music track. Sometimes, I will still have to trim the music because the effect on the images and/or transitions is just too much to overcome without that trim. Sometimes I simply don't have enough images and the adjustments I need simply won't fit the show's tempo. But, the synch feature can get me to a quicker resolution than if I did it manually from the get-go.

Sometimes I apply the quick synch to the entire show. Many customers just want a good show and are not too picky about where a song starts or ends. That way I can adjust the final song to the final slide (to get a proper song end to the final fadeout) and then track the amount of time change as I tweak from the show's beginning. It's a great tool to get you started. For all of my customer's shows, I tweak the images to the music.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 am

im42n8 wrote:For all of my customer's shows, I tweak the images to the music.

I don't have the trouble I once did because of a backlog of my own compositions that I can bring into the sequencing software to adjust timing and length, but for sure, I still have to make tiny adjustments in the demo so actions fall properly. That's the part I enjoy most when building a demo--getting images to dance to the music. I watch commercials on TV, paying attention to how they've done it, and occasionally there's one done so well that I happily watch it again and again, which is saying a lot since ads irritate me.

Barbara

Postby cherub » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:58 am

BarbaraC wrote:... That's the part I enjoy most when building a demo--getting images to dance to the music.

These are the perfect words, for describing what we aim to do.
I'm not very knowledgeable in the realm of music. I just know what I like, and what I don't like. But... dancing.... that's quite a different matter :D . I often feel that I'm translating into slide motions what my feet (and other body parts :D ) would like to do.

BarbaraC wrote: I watch commercials on TV, paying attention to how they've done it, and occasionally there's one done so well that I happily watch it again and again....Barbara

Me too ! Most of the time I don't even know what they advertise, but I remember the effects in the greatest detail. :D

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:14 am

We're certainly an odd little bunch, tapping our toes to pans and zooms. Worse, we're admitting it in public. :D

Barbara

Postby cherub » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:22 am

Fortunately, we are on the 3rd page of this very, very long thread, so not many will venture this far, to see us blushing :oops:

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:54 am

:lol:

Barbara

Postby gratusmedia » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:25 pm

When I took the menu out, things worked a little differently in accessing the toolbar. I think I am on to it, now. Thank you for your help!

Postby photographer55 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Workaround .... that works for me ...

Grab the timeline cursor indicator and slide it to the point on the slide or a convenient point at a start or stop of a transition or other place where it must coordinate with a beat or a wave form on the track. You will see that it drops down that dotted like onto the track waveform. NOW carefully lay in a volume control point at that location and reset the volume to what you want it to be ( if it drops your volume to 0)

Now you have a locked in a visual on the sound track to match that track location to on the slide strip. Yes you have to remember what you chose on the slide strip but it it is that important you will remember what you picked, or you can screen shot it and paste it to your wall!

In my case that image was in a rotation transition that stopped rotating, and I needed to get the the point shown on track to happen right at the point the rotation stopped.

BTW Is there NO way to post a screenshot image to the board??

Previous

Return to PSG - General Discussion