"Stuttering" and "shifts" during playback

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

"Stuttering" and "shifts" during playback

Postby hcajones » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:25 am

When I burn a long PS Gold show to Blu-Ray, there seem to be quite a few instances in which there is a slight stuttering or jerkiness in the zooming when I play it. (The Blu-Ray player itself is a high-end, newer unit, and I have no problems with discs other than PS.) It's not terrible, but it's noticeable and happens perhaps 20 times in an hour-long Blu-Ray. If I burn the same show to DVD, there are still some instances, but fewer.

There is also another different but similar problem. Imagine that I start with a slide and then zoom into a corner of it. I have pasted the identical slide as the next slide. I then Match the beginning of the second slide to the end of the first slide so that I can hold the small area into which I zoomed for a few seconds. About one of of four times when I do this, when the slide moves from the end of the zoom into the matched "hold" position, there is a very obvious shift in the image. Hard to explain, but it's kind of like it gets sharper. The image doesn't move - no zooming or panning - but there is a noticeable change.

Does anyone have any thoughts about either of these issues?

As always, thanks for your help.

Re: "Stuttering" and "shifts" during playback

Postby hcajones » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:14 am

I guess no one has any thoughts about this? I can't seem to fix this. I've tried writing discs (DVD and Blu-Ray) at the slowest possible speed, fastest possible speed, and mid speeds. For DVDs, I've tried using and not using the anti-flicker setting. I still end up with the issues mentioned earlier. I can't think of anything else to try.

Thanks.

Postby osharr » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:02 pm

Make sure nothing else is running in the background when burning. Try different brand media. See if they will run on a different blu-ray player. :?:
If it ain't broke , don't fix it !

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Due to the way mpeg compression works, motion in the video requires a higher data rate to maintain the frame rate. This is often where "stuttering" or jumps show up. One indication if it is in the show or the media is find some spot where it is quite noticeable, then play that segment a number of times - does it always do it at the same spot the same way or does it only do it sometimes ? Always would indicate something in the show itself typically (or the encoding) while "sometimes" is more often a data rate issue. There is good media out there and junk media - unfortunately, the answer is not usually that simple (at least in the past). Some media that worked flawlessly in one burner/reader would not play well in a different combination - things may have gotten better with good media playing in most players, but back in the SD days (where I still am), there were numerous instances of a brand that would work perfectly for one person would cause problems for another person with different hardware. There are also some utilities out there that will scan a disk for you and graph how many errors it finds as well as what read rate it sees across the disk. I used to use DVDinfoPro, however, it has changed hands and I don't feel like buying a new license for my copy that had "lifetime updates" :evil:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby hcajones » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:44 am

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I've followed up on each suggestion. Still the same problem. The stutters and shifts seem to be in the same places no matter what brand of DVD disc or which DVD player I use, so I think something is going on with Proshow itself. I have a customer service inquiry in to them. They've asked for a copy of the show and if they give me any helpful advice. I'll pass it along.

Thanks again.

Return to PSG - General Discussion