Can I "edit" a built-in Slide Style?

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Can I "edit" a built-in Slide Style?

Postby tdub4 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:28 am

New owner and user here....

I would like to use one of the built-in slide styles that has 3 photos that pan across the screen from left to right. I was curious if there is a way to add another photo (beyond the 3 built-in) so that I can have 4 photos in order as opposed to 3?

This is probably answered somewhere but either I am not using the right search criteria or misunderstanding the explanations. TIA!

Re: Can I "edit" a built-in Slide Style?

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:34 am

You might try this thread where Mona gives an easy way of saving a style as a new style that you can then alter and save again, this time with your own additions: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21345

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby cherub » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:53 am

What is the exact name of the slide style that you want to modify?
Is it one of the "Corner Pan" styles?

Postby tdub4 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:30 am

Yes...it is Corner Pan Fade Dark

Postby cherub » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:42 am

To modify that style, you need to recalculate all the pan values all over again.
It's a bit too late for me for that kind of mental exercise, at this time of the day. It's late evening in my part of the world. :D
Perhaps some other member will be able to help you with this :D

Postby tdub4 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else that can fill in the blanks?

Postby im42n8 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:34 pm

This is a version you can play with until you get something you like.

• Put 4 images on a blank slide
• Apply style "Corner Pan Fade Dark" to the slide
• Change All zooms to 100 on all layers except for layer 1 (it's not an image slide... make no changes to it).
• Image layers are layers 2, 3, 4, and 5 (with the last being the extra layer you want to add)

Set the pan's for the layers as follows (Keyframe 1 / keyframe 2)
• Layer 2. -80,-80 / 240,240
• Layer 3. -160,-160 / 160,160
• Layer 4. -240,-240 / 80,80
• Layer 5. -320,-320 / 0,0

• All layers have a shadow set to opacity = 50 and an outline of 1 set to white except for your last layer. So, you will need to add the same settings to it (in the Adjustments tab in the Editing Tools)

• There can be many variations on this theme. The original theme varied the layer zoom settings and their pan settings. The "problem" being that the image size was not necessarily at 100% zoom when it was "centered" (as in roughly pan=0,0) on the frame.

One of the variations you can use is to set it up so that you start out at a less than 100% zoom value before it comes into view), be at 100% when it's centered on the screen, and then reduces in zoom as it moves off-screen to the right.

• The style sets the images to Fit To Frame scale. You might try other scale settings to see what works for you.

• There is no background layer with the default style settings. Add one (or more) layers to color the background as appropriate to one or more of the images. A black background makes for high contrast ... or not much contrast depending on your subject material. A colored background may make things easier on the eyes than the default black background.

This should give you a quick setup from which to experiment with settings you like. These settings were tried with 3:2 landscape images. It works with both FIT to FRAME and Fill FRAME scales. The results should be very similar to the original style but for 4 images. Using this framework, you can then expand to 5 or more images if you'd like. You just do some math to keep the relative distances between the images from start to finish. Note that you can change the scale of the frame's zoom to between 20 and 100. This can help with at least the first couple of images and then you would use their settings to help fix the settings for the additional images.

Well, this should give you something to work with. Enjoy!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby cherub » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:23 pm

Dale, you beat me to it :D Just when I finished my morning brain gymnastics ! :D

Here is what I did.
I tried to stay as close to the original style as possible, so I did play with the increasing/decreasing zooms, maintaining the overall effect.

Slide time: 13 seconds, transitions 1 sec (as in the original)

Starting Position (keyframe 1)
Image 1, Zoom 110%, Pan Values: -50, -50
Image 2, Zoom 90; Pan Values: -124, -124
Image 3, Zoom 70, Pan Values -180, -180
Image 4, Zoom 50, Pan Values: -221 -221

Ending Position (keyframe 2)
Image 1, Zoom 154, Pan Values: 270, 270
Image 2, Zoom 126, Pan Values: 154, 154
Image 3, Zoom 98, Pan Values: 64, 64
Image 4, Zoom 70, Pan Values 0,0

Not quite exact science, but it runs smoothly.

You can download my customized styles from here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/z76a0nmmg ... Images.zip
Press on the Green button (Download), and save the zip file to your computer.
The styles are compatible with ProShow Gold and Producer, ver. 4.5 and 5

Hope you like them. :D

Postby tdub4 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:19 am

Mona - thanks for the reply as well. This information has opened up a lot for me (some "a ha" moments for sure).

Quick question...if I want to change the spacing between the photos, it appears I can do this by "clicking and dragging" the photos manually (as opposed to changing location values), however there are some photos on that particular slide that I cannot see in the edit window and cannot figure out how to advance that slide to manually move those photos.

Can this be done or am I off base here?

As an example, when I open up the edit window, I may see photo layers 1 and 2, but not 3 and 4. How do I get 3 and 4 to show up so that I can move those? I tried selecting the specific layer but nothing changes.

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:30 am

I'm totally unfamiliar with the style, but perhaps the photos you want to move aren't onscreen during the keyframe you're choosing. Have you selected the photo you want to move in the layers list? Does it show up? If not, have you checked the pan values? Generally speaking, any pan value of around + or -100 will be offscreen.

Barbara

Postby cherub » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:35 am

tdub4,
When you are in Slide Options, notice the icon with the magnifying glass, at the very bottom of the screen, and next to it the 100%, that is the default of your preview.
If you reduce that percentage, you'll be able to see outside the edges of the actual screen area, and you'll be able to move the pictures. To see everything, you'll need to have a 20% view, or thereabout.

Barbara,
This style is one of the built-in ones, and you can have a look at it.

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 am

I just took a look at it, and sure enough, all photos start offscreen in the upper left. Without using the zoom function on the slide as Mona suggested, editing would certainly be difficult.

By the way, when you're done using the slide zoom, try to remember to set it back to 100%. I think we all forget to do this periodically, and then the next time we open ProShow, we can't figure out why stuff looks so weird. :shock:

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:23 pm

One of the reasons I tossed the zoom function is to help do the very thing you want to do. The original effect's zoom changes add absolutely nothing to the effect as far as I could tell ... that is, there next to no value added for having a size change you can't really detect very well anyway. Further, it made edits to extend the style more complicated. It's a really simple style made complicated unnecessarily.

If you look the version I gave, you'll notice that spacing between the start and stop keyframe on each layer is the same (a distance of 320). If you adjust the time location for each layer's first keyframe, you can stagger the time at which the motion begins for each layer (also, adjust the last keyframe so that the time between first and last keyframes is exactly the same as the other layer ... to keep the speed of each layer the same as the others). That is a way you can either shorten or increase the distance between the layers as they move across the screen..

If you adjust the start and/or end pan values, you can change the relative distance traveled for each layer... and hence the speed of the layer as it moves (e.g., if the start value remains unchanged but the end value is increased, the layer may move across the visible part of the screen more quickly). Adjusting time of the initial keyframe can also be used to stagger the layers. This too can be used to adjust the appearance of the effect (both the distance between each layer as they move across the screen and the speed at which they cross the it).

The initial arrangment I gave provides an easier vehicle for making tweaks or variations on the effect ... without too much confusion. ...

Have Fun!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby im42n8 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Here's another take, a variation on the previous setup I gave. This time, All images start and stop in the same spot. All layers have a time spread of 5 seconds from the first keyframe to the last.

• The first keyframe (kf1) starts at Pan -75,-75; Zoom = 50, Opacity = 0
• The last keyframe (kf5) ends at Pan 75, 75; Zoom = 50, Opacity = 0
• The 2nd keyframe (kf2) is located 1 second to the right of keyframe 1: Opacity = 100
• The 4th keyframe (kf4) is located 1 second to the left of keyframe 5 (last keyframe): Opacity = 50
• The 3rd keyframe (kf3) is located 2.5 seconds to the right of keyframe 1: Zoom = 100,100

(all other settings are on auto).
Assuming that the transition in/out are 2s each,
• the first image layer starts at time = 2.1 seconds
• the 2nd image layer starts at image layer 1's halfway point (that is, aligned with keyframe 3)
• The 3rd image layer starts at image layer 2's halfway point (that is, aligned with keyframe 3)
• The 4th image layer starts at image layer 3's halfway point (that is, aligned with keyframe 3)

Total time is: length of layer 1 + length of layer 4 + one-half length of layer 5 + 0.1 seconds at start (the distance between where the transition in and slide time begin and the first keyframe of image layer 2) and 0.1 seconds at the end of the layer 5's last keyframe (the distance from the last keyframe and the point where the slidetime ends and the transition out begins). So, that's 5 + 5 + 2.5 + 0.2 = 12.7 seconds of slide time.

NOTE: the reason for the slight distance from where the slide time begins or ends is to avoid a bug in Proshow. If there's a keyframe that resides right on that point, odd things can happen to that keyframe (position-wise). It could end up just about anywhere ... on that slides's timeline.

Assuming the images are all 3:2 aspect and a scale of fill frame is used, you should expect to see the images to be edge-to-edge. If set to a scale of Fit to Frame, there will be some separation between each image.

Adjust the start of the next layer to the left or right of the center keyframe of the previous layer to adjust the relative distance to that previous layer (note: ALT-CLICK-Drag on a keyframe moves ALL keyframes on that layer together as one unit. You want to keep the distance between the 1st and last keyframe at 5 seconds, and the 2nd keyframe 1 second to the right of the 1st, the 4th keyframe 1 second to the left of the 5th (last) keyframe, and the 3rd keyframe halfway between the 1st and 5th keyframes).

This gives you control over the appearance of your effect in a repeatable and easy to manipulate fashion.

See if this setup might give you some ideas. Further, if you want to add a 5th or 6th image, you can do so fairly easily. Just duplicate the last layer, move it to the bottom, add 5 seconds to the last keyframe of the set, move the last layer's keyframes as one unit such that its first keyframe aligns with the 3rd keyframe of the previous layer.

If nothing else, it's something to play with... :D It's just the same effect with a little twist...

Cheers!

Dale

Postby cherub » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Dale,
This is the Gold part of the forum :D

Next

Return to PSG - General Discussion