Ping DickK- Sound question

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related
Valued Member

Ping DickK- Sound question

Postby RoseW » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 pm

I did a search on these forums for speakers and sound.
One response to a lady also using a laptop and projector had the suggestion by DickK :
'a decent 3 piece (stereo speakers and bass/amp), powered sound outfit can connect to the headphone output on the laptop and will make a huge difference, especially if the room is large.'

I experienced this very scenario tonight. The presentation was in a fairly large room. The sound out of the projector was fine at home in a small living room. It was not fine in the large room and increasing the volume actually had the mp3 vibrate a little.
I thought I could get away with less equipment to haul to the meeting but even the two speakers I have would have been better.
Is it possible to get brand names or is it sufficient to just use the phrase 'stereo speakers and bass/amp' when shopping or searching?
Rose
Canon 6D,7D,
Lightroom & Photoshop Classic CC, Producer 6, Gold 6
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Re: Ping DickK- Sound question

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:29 am

Before you search online, you should go to a brick-and-mortar store to look at and listen to speakers. Pictures of audio equipment can tell you nothing, and the specs given don't always tell you what your ears need to know.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:40 pm

What I used on that occasion and a couple of times since was a set I bought to use on my computer. I've since swapped those out for a receiver and bookshelf speakers (from them) for my desktop, but those are still in use--now hooked up to a TV in a bedroom.

I got them from Cambridge Soundworks. http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com/

I got that set quite a few years ago so it's not there but they sell several 3-piece (2.1) sets that are the equivalent in function. I obviously have no way to know how they sound but I trust them to be good value and their return policy is good if you don't like anything. I've got 4 sets of various kinds from them and have yet to return anything. I've bought 3.1 and 5.1 sets for my kids and that turned out well also. If their warranty policy hasn't changed, that's been another reason I like them--if it breaks, they replace it period.

But I agree with Barbara, survey the market to see what's there. For what I wanted at the price I wanted to pay, I had no expectations that what I would get would great -- good enough was what I wanted and I got it. Happy then and still happy with them.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:17 pm

I did a search on laptop sound speakers but watched the results so it would be a Canadian source. Turns out a local store in my my shopping town has a selection of speakers. There are 3 pieces in their 'site picture' and I have no idea what the third piece does <lol>
BUT my plan is to take the laptop and test the speaker as advised.
I thought there might be particular brand names but quality and volume doesn't necessarily require a brand name does it<grin>
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:24 am

There's certainly a case to be made for brand names, but the names we know tend to be those that are nationally or globally advertised such as Sony or JVC. Even if a name is unfamiliar to us, it can nevertheless be a fine product, maybe even better. I have a set of speakers from a company I'd never heard of, having bought them in a store where I was able to switch from speaker to speaker while listening. Not until I looked them up after the fact did I find out they're well known amongst musicians. The ears speak volumes! :D

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:04 pm

In this case, Cambridge is a brand name--particularly a few years ago before they went semi-mass-market. For trademark reasons at another company he can't use his name on the speakers but Henry Kloss was one of the principals founding the company. That's not the only reason I bought their products, but that gave them a starting edge with me and after that it was simply my positive experience with their gear.

Since this isn't an audio or AV site I won't provoke the usual audiophile "discussion" of speakers by some companies I won't name. {whispers} Sony :)

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:22 pm

I have a pair of stupid Sony's that I use just so I can hear what others might be hearing...or, actually, not hearing. The speakers I'm madly in love with are studio monitors and aren't meant for large rooms. My advice, Rose, is to steer clear of what Dick and I have a hard time typing. :D

Barbara

Postby mreinhart » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:46 am

What I have done, when in a larger room, is use a set of wireless speakers. These were ment to plug into a home stereo and the speakers placed out on the patio. The speakers just plug into an ac adaptor for power, so I can place them anywhere in the room and not worry about someone tripping over the wires.

In a medium sized room I just use amplified speakers from my desktop computer.

When I am in a very large room, I do take an amp and large speakers (if audio is not provided at the location)

Postby mreinhart » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:47 am

What I have done, when in a larger room, is use a set of wireless speakers. These were ment to plug into a home stereo and the speakers placed out on the patio. The speakers just plug into an ac adaptor for power, so I can place them anywhere in the room and not worry about someone tripping over the wires.

In a medium sized room I just use amplified speakers from my desktop computer.

When I am in a very large room, I do take an amp and large speakers (if audio is not provided at the location)

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:16 am

Just a follow up to this thread of 3 piece speakers.
I wasn't successful with the first 3 piece set so it was returned.
Recently acquired a new Acer laptop(Win8) and in that order presented the speaker quandary.
This small store had exactly the setup which plugged into the laptop and preformed perfectly.
Its an Acer unit and the sound is quite satisfactory.
The original attempt was at an electronics store and the actual wires had to go into a positive/negative clip and I could not get sound out of the projector with this pattern.

The wireless concept posted here is a good idea but at the moment I tend to be positioned at a table so the speakers can be on the table. I did notice a vibration from the 'box' sitting on the floor if the volume was up. Turned out the volume did not have to be UP that much but for the next assignment I'm taking along a square of compressed foam for the box to sit on if it has to sit on a tile covered cement floor.

I came up with a Samsonite rolling luggage which holds the laptop case, projector and speaker box. The huge, wide screen fits into a hanging wardrobe styled 'case'' So two items to lug into the meeting room <grin> I discovered this roll together wide screen doesn't have a totally sealed 'meeting place' when it is collapsed and dust can get in at that area. Its now stored in this 'hanging wardrobe' <lol!>
Rose
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Return to PSG - General Discussion