Show completed-Management of Files used

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related
Valued Member

Show completed-Management of Files used

Postby RoseW » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:38 am

If the slideshow has been completed and published in various formats (mpg, exe, etc) then is there any purpose in keeping the original folder/subfolders containing the exported jpgs, music, saves?
I organized each show into their own folders on a specific drive.
e.g.
Topic (contains images for show)
.....music (used music)
.....saves (all backups and final productions)
Copies of the final production are placed on a second computer.

I figured a screenshot of the music contents would be a record of files used

Rose
Canon 6D,7D,
Lightroom & Photoshop Classic CC, Producer 6, Gold 6
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Re: Show completed-Management of Files used

Postby im42n8 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:11 am

If you don't want them, delete them. Personally, I'd archive them if possible. Put them on a DVD or somewhere on a "backup/archive" drive. If you ever need to edit the show you might need the resources used to create it. If you did something unique on the show on a slide, you might someday want to copy it (if you didn't convert it to a style).

You don't really need the backups, just the PSH (the actual show) and the audio/video/images. You "could" also save the PXC (cache file) but, if you use a later version of the Program, it'll be regenerated anyway.

If you used any fonts that are not supplied with (or default) the Operating System, you might also want to copy the font files with your show. That's because the program has no idea about the fonts. If the ones used in the show are not available, it supplies a suitable substitute. It may not be anything like you want. This can happen if you, for some reason, are working on a different (or updated) machine. This way you can copy the font to where it needs to be (and you don't have to guess as to what font is missing).

That's the gist of it. Maybe others have a different or additional take on this...

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:47 pm

Judging by the number of posts here that ask about trying to recover a show from a DVD output (or something else), I think the answer should be: save everything as insurance. Someday for reasons you can't imagine now, you just might want that show and if you delete the files and/or the PSH then it's gone. Storage is cheap, especially if you archive it to a data-DVD (not a video output) or CD if it's small enough. Personally, I save everything I would need to start editing the show again if I wanted to.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:33 pm

I second what Dick and Dale (wait, wasn't that the two chipmunks ... oh, right, that was Chip and Dale :lol: ) said. There have been quite a few posts here in the past (and other forums) from people who, for whatever reason (death, divorce etc.) REALLY want to edit a show and make a change. If all you have is the output, that is very difficult to do (you can edit the video, but changing a title etc is really tough). Disk space is cheap (relatively) - I just recently bought a couple of 2 TB Western Digital Black drives for about $150 each. Depending on the show (who it's for etc), I will often include the images as well as the .psh file on the DVD when I create it (I go the ISO route). That gives the people I give the DVD's to the original (well, "tweaked") images I used in the show as well as the show .psh file (which is relatively small). If you are selling the shows, then that is different, but for friends and family, if there is room on the DVD, I include the images on the disk.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks for the input.
I have already experienced the 'no files' and a finished show because I did remove all the supporting files so I can appreciate the suggestions. This time it didn't matter because I could do a better redo using PSG. That wouldn't be the behaviour I would want EVERY time <LOL!>
I can do the dvd route as well as storage on external drives. I had to find a calculator site to figure out exactly what size all those kb totaled. The files will fit on a dvd.

Rose
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Postby Jean-Paul » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:08 am

Hi everyone,

Rose,I have just read your entire very interesting discussion. There is one very important thing that needs to be mentioned, Photodex created a great feature in Proshow Gold and Producer designed specially for creating the backup (archives) of your shows. That feature is “Collect Show Files” it creates a complete database of your entire show (one folder containing 3 subfolders). In addition to creating a new .psh file, collect audio, video, image files it also collects files that were essential in different styles and transitions that were used in your show. Some of those files, sometimes, we are not even aware that they need to be part of your archives.
When the collect show files is completed you have created a completely autonomous backup (archive) of your show. All your computer needs is the right version of Proshow. As previously mention in this discussion, if you used special fonts, it is necessary for you to manually add a copy of the font file(s).
In version 5, you can locate the Collect Show Files feature in: Tools menu > Collect Show Files, in previous version you can located it in: File menu > Collect Show Files.

Hopefully that helps you and others interested in creating very efficient archives of their work.

Have fun,

Amicalement, Jean-Paul

This forum is to ProShow enthusiasts, what hair is to the gorilla

PSP v5 (last releas) PC: Win. 7 x64, CPU Intel i7, Memory RAM 12 GB, Disk partition (C:) SSD, GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Monitor 23” HD, GPU Benchmark for PSP 372.

Postby weidmic » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:38 pm

Jean-Paul,

the info about the "collect show files" was just the missing piece after I successfully finished my first slide show with ProShow Producer.

Thank you and all the others; this forum is really a great resource not just for enthusiasts :) Also a beginner can draw a lot of valuable information!

Cheers from Germany
Michael

Postby Jean-Paul » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:45 pm

Fine business Michael.

For those of you who are interested in knowing more about the Collect Show Files feature, here is the link to a PHOTODEX video tutorial on the subject:

http://youtu.be/OXYqfXE8_54

Have fun,
Amicalement, Jean-Paul

This forum is to ProShow enthusiasts, what hair is to the gorilla

PSP v5 (last releas) PC: Win. 7 x64, CPU Intel i7, Memory RAM 12 GB, Disk partition (C:) SSD, GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Monitor 23” HD, GPU Benchmark for PSP 372.

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:45 am

I have maintained the habit of 'collecting' and storing the completed 'shows' to a 'storage drive'
I did have the occasion to edit the first show created to remove some 'group specific' images and I must not have 'collected' some file that holds the history.
The files used were not evident. There was no numeral rating beside the file name (or if the thumbnails were used no checkmark)
I just reviewed the link to the utube tutorial and it displayed having the file specific .psh .pxc included in the collected folder. These were not in my first collection so I must have missed some step when I did the collect routine. I still had the original working routine so I just started over again for the purpose of removing images and adding new images.

I have since used the same folder structure as the 'collect' tool uses when I'm creating the show. The images are exported out of Lightoom to the 'image subfolder' for the specific show event folder. I'm not gathering images from a variety of locations. A 'save' folder is dictated to hold the psh, pxc, backups and the final mpg is in the Produce folder. This whole folder/subfolder can be moved 'as is' to the storage drive.

I haven't double checked but I'm assuming that the 'image used' data will be intact if I open a stored show topic....or arre records the way it is since the whole unit was moved to another drive?
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Return to PSG - General Discussion