Is ProShow Gold for me?

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Is ProShow Gold for me?

Postby Muis60 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:38 am

I want to know if ProShow Gold is what I need for what I do. So below is a bit of background as to what I do and would be using PS Gold for if I purchased it.

I create musical video's (mostly uploaded to YouTube). What I do, is take a song that I want to upload and then get Images from around the Internet that is appropriate to the words of the song. Once I have my selection of images for the song, I then use Pinnacle Studio's 14 to place all the images in place, dragging them to where the appropriate words start. Once I have a full song with images in place. I then add text for the lyrics to the song, making it come alive as such. Well that is my goal. Then I use transitions and use the limited Pan and Fade features that Pinnacle Studios 14 offers. Not too long ago I upgraded and bought Pinnacle Studio's 16 but it is not meeting my needs. I find I have less flexibility with v16 than I do with v14.
I create a LOT of videos in this method and so I need something that is pretty fast to work with etc..
I was wanting to create a mostly TEXT video the other day and did a search on YouTube for examples and that's when I stumbled upon video's of ProShow Gold and it perked my interest. I downloaded the trial version but have not done much with it. With Pinnacle Studios 14 and 16 it is fine for creating family video's etc... but does not seem to have the great flexibility for music video's with images and text.

I really want to know if "ProShow Gold" is what I would be looking for to create even better music videos with images and text combined.

Below is an example of what I am creating. Nothing special, but I would like to take my music video's to another level and was wondered if ProShow Gold was the answer for what I wanted to do. From the many videos I have watched on PS gold, it was mostly images and a bit of text here and there. My video's cover a lot of images and obviously plenty of text over-laid on the images with transitions and pans to bring it alive.
I don't want to spend out a lot of bucks just to find out it's not what I needed as I did with Pinnacle Studio's 16 (which now lives on the shelf)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Greg

(Example Video:)

Re: Is ProShow Gold for me?

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:50 am

Before anything else, if you use other people's images in your videos without their permission, you're breaking the law. I assume you own the music. If you don't, that's another violation. I realize you can see such things throughout YouTube, but keep in mind that some people have been sued. At the very least, they can end up with the music being stripped from their video.

OK, now on to ProShow. Gold can do a lot of things, Producer can do a lot more, but in the end, you need to buy according to your wallet and ideas. No one here can tell you definitively which, if either, is right for you. You should play with the Gold's trial version, learning how to do things in it, and once you feel at least semi-comfortable with it, download the trial version of Producer to see if it has anything more to offer you.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:01 am

Echoing Barbara, you really do need to be careful about the copyrights associated with video, stills, and audio.

Gold is extremely limited in what it can do. However, it meets many people's needs. You may need 3rd party tools to achieve some of your ends, however. Still, for basic videos, Gold will do just fine.

If you want considerable control over your content, Producer is the way to go. Too, it has enough features that you can grow into them as you gain more expertise with handling your content.

Gold is considerably cheaper than Producer. But, Producer is CONSIDERABLY more capable than Gold and can do things that are simply impossible to do in Gold.

As Barbara said, trial versions will give you some idea as to what you can do relative to what you want to do. Give them a shot. Have fun!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby cherub » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:29 am

Just a very brief comment from me:

If you like zooming and panning on one picture, and you like to have several captions, that appear one after the other, during this continuous pan, I think that you'll find Gold rather frustrating.
Such effects are usually done in keyframes, and there are no keyframes in Gold.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:44 am

Reading what Mona just said and then remembering back to your show, I realized you incorporated video inside it. As Mona states, you may find Gold frustrating, mainly because of its lack of keyframes.

Still, though, Producer is a lot more expensive. I guess you'll have to weigh that against what you want to do and are maybe willing to compromise on.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:16 am

First I'll echo the others comments about copyright--what you are doing infringes the rights of others unless you have an appropriate license for all images and music.

Personally, I don't agree that you'd find PSG frustrating. You can do all the zooms & pans for instance although it is true the PSP will give greater flexibility. Really depends on how much time you are willing to invest learning the software, that's a more serious investment than the price.

I think Gold is likely to be fine for what you're doing--but keep in mind that ProShow of either flavor is a slide-show program. It's flexibility for sound editing and video editing may be lower than you expect. Although it creates video output, it's not a full fledged video content creator. The best way to find out is to download the trial version and see if you like it--try either version or both. If you then purchase it the show you made loses the trial banner and is fully functional so you haven't lost anything.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Muis60 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks for your help and advise. Much appreciated.

All the music I am using is copyrighted but I do have the right from "Solid Rock records" to use it. Some of the images in the video I will confess is not. I do have permission for at least 50% of the images I do use. I know that still leaves 50% without permission. But at least I am halfway there, but that is still halfway wrong. I have found it very difficult to ask/gain permission due to no response when I try and contact them. I use only a few video clips. Those that I do use are from Stock clips that I belong to and have unlimited free download access. So in all, there are unfortunately some images that I use I don't have permission but I just find it so hard to find that "Right" image for that appropriate lyric.

But regardless, I do appreciate your feedback - I was only willing to go for Gold and not Producer. And from the sound of what I have read, Gold has it's limitations and I am not willing to spend out the cash for Producer, so I will just keep on looking. Thanks again. really much appreciated!

Greg

Return to PSG - General Discussion