PS Gold 5 compared to PS Producer

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Re: PS Gold 5 compared to PS Producer

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:01 am

What's missing from Gold that I've wondered about for a long time are color solids and gradients. They're a boon even if they're used only for simple backgrounds. In Producer, they can be used for a lot more, but that's to be expected.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 am

I think Gold could also benefit from the ability to change the opacity and blur of a layer as well. Simple things that would, I contend, expand the utility of Gold without encroaching in any meaningful way on Producer's terrain.

Gold recently acquired the ability to change the rotation center of a layer ... but only because without it, tilt of is limited utility. Gold really should have had this ability long ago (rotation center change has been in Producer for a long time) . . .

Gold is severely limited in its features on purpose to help direct people to the more expense and much much more capable Producer.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby hcajones » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:55 am

My question started this discussion. I would like to thank everybody for the thoughtful comments.

Before I started using PS Gold, I made some slideshows in a program called Wondershare. It is far too limited in general -- very limited control over zooms, pans, etc. However, it did have some features that I just assumed would exist on a more sophisticated program, such as PS Gold. For example, there were numerous "effects" that could be added to a slide (an airplane flying over, fireworks, falling snow) and also animated clip art and things like speech bubbles.

PS Gold seems to have none of that. Does PS Producer? The Photodex web site that talks about features, etc., really doesn't do a very good job explaining stuff like this.

Thanks.

Postby hcajones » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:56 am

My question started this discussion. I would like to thank everybody for the thoughtful comments.

Before I started using PS Gold, I made some slideshows in a program called Wondershare. It is far too limited in general -- very limited control over zooms, pans, etc. However, it did have some features that I just assumed would exist on a more sophisticated program, such as PS Gold. For example, there were numerous "effects" that could be added to a slide (an airplane flying over, fireworks, falling snow) and also animated clip art and things like speech bubbles.

PS Gold seems to have none of that. Does PS Producer? The Photodex web site that talks about features, etc., really doesn't do a very good job explaining stuff like this.

Thanks.

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:15 am

Gold has certain built-in effects in the form of styles and transitions, but for the sort you dream of, you'd have to create--including a plane flying. Such things tend to be more easily accomplished in Producer, but even there you won't have every effect you envision, which means you'd either have to make it yourself or buy it.

(Long ago, I tried Wondershare. Yes, it was quite limited. :D )

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby MichaelD » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:33 pm

hcajones wrote:Before I started using PS Gold, I made some slideshows in a program called Wondershare. It is far too limited in general -- very limited control over zooms, pans, etc. However, it did have some features that I just assumed would exist on a more sophisticated program, such as PS Gold. For example, there were numerous "effects" that could be added to a slide (an airplane flying over, fireworks, falling snow) and also animated clip art and things like speech bubbles.

Some time ago I found this very interesting topic: New to ProShow Gold, which mentions Gavin Hoey's Animated Flight Path tutorial. I don't know anything about Wondershare, but Gavin's tutorial shows how you can do some clever things in PS Gold. If it seems a bit complicated at first, just watch the tutorial a few times and it becomes quite clear - even obvious. :wink:
Mike

Previous

Return to PSG - General Discussion