New member with Question

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

New member with Question

Postby ChuckV » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:06 am

Hello, new to the forum and have a simple question about PSG 4. After I have completed the slide show and have burned it to a disc, is it possible to copy the images contained within the show off of the burned DVD to your computer? Is there a folder that contains all of the images? I ask because I'm producing a show for my son's football team and would like the parents to be able to extract any images they wish from the disc if it is possible.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Re: New member with Question

Postby im42n8 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:32 am

When you create the DVD, you have an option to copy the files used in the show to the DVD and/or to include a folder of additional images onto your DVD. You'll find this option under the Burning tab.

If either of these wasn't selected when you created the DVD, the answer to your question is NO. That's because you have a video in which your images have become embedded into the video stream. Their resolution will be dependent upon the type of DVD you created (typically as 720x560) ... and you'll need to use a video editor to get those images from the frame.

So, recreate the DVD with the option to include the original photo's or as additional content.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby ChuckV » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:41 am

Thanks so much for your quick reply! As you can tell I'm a novice but I'm picking up on things quickly. It was my hope to learn from you seasoned vets out there as I'm always striving to improve my shows. This forum seems to be the place to be for learning more about the program.
Gratitude...

Postby im42n8 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:18 am

Been there done that. It takes time, that's for sure. You might check out the Forum Book over in the members created folder. Also, check out the tutorials offered by the 3rd party vendors and in the Forum's Tutorials sections. There's a lot of information to go through. Some of it may be dated now because of the many releases between when the tutorial came out and the current version. But, the information in each is still valid. Several of the 3rd party vendors also have blogs that have information on technical aspects of using ProShow that's not available through Photodex. Lots of tips and hints and such.

Have fun with ProShow! And here in this forum you'll come across many levels of expert (or novice) in many different areas. So, when it comes time to ask a question (vs beating yourself up trying to figure out if it's you or the program that keeps you from doing something you want to do), ask away here. You're bound to get an answer fairly quickly (usually), with some better than others (naturally! :) ) It's better than getting all kinds of frustrated!

Welcome to the group!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:33 am

I'm joining Dale in welcoming you to the forum. This is a super place filled with wonderful people always ready to answer questions and give moral support.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Welcome! Don't hesitate to ask whatever questions come up. Also, in addition to checking out the book referred to, many new folks (me a few years ago for one) find it useful to page through portions of the forum and check out some of the discussions. Lots of good info.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby ChuckV » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:28 am

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum! I will check out your suggestions. I'm having a tough time trying to limit my shows run time. I know that some people grow weary if it extends past the 15 min. mark. Given the amount of photos I've taken (they are all great) plus trying to match the length of the sound track(s) I'm using I'll be pushing the 20 minute mark (the show covers all 8 games in the season). I do not have a lot of specialized transitions, sticking mostly with the basic fade in/out. To me, having a boat load of different transitions takes away from the show. What I do need to do is utilize some of the canned slide styles which incorporate multiple slides into animations. I'm making up football cards as well of each team player including the coaches that I want to include in the show. I had used the program Memories on TV in the past and there were some cool animations of slides that were written out as .avi files. Is it possible to include .avi files into the slide show? Either way, with over 15 hours of effort into the show (includes Photoshopping/cleaning up every image) I'm confident the parents, team and coaches will be pleased. Now, I hope my DVD burner won't melt as I will need to burn 30+ copies of the master disc when completed!

Thanks again,
Chuck

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:28 am

Your time would be pushing it for disinterested observers, but not in this case. Yes, try to keep the length to below the wiggle-in-seat point, but you probably needn't worry too much about it.

You can use a variety of video formats, placing the video into a slide just the same as you would a photo. Check the manual for all the formats that are accepted. Do take care, though, with the "weight" of the video because it can really bog things down if your enthusiasm is too high. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:12 am

Welcome !! The simple way to judge the show length is the "30% rule" ... when 30% of the viewers have dozed off and fallen out of their seats, the show is too long :twisted: The first rule you learn is all rules are simply guidelines - one example is transitions and effects. Many beginners take it as a personal challenge to try and use all effects in one show which usually results in the viewers sitting there with spinning eyeballs, however, under the proper conditions, all those transitions and things can work together to create a very effective show. Anyway, welcome and hope we can help you :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby ChuckV » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:52 pm

Good evening everyone. Well, after 24 hours of cleaning up, cropping of 225 images and producing a 20 minute slideshow I can finally call it a wrap! I'm positive the kids and their families will enjoy the show. I was concerned with the images and text captions where they were used for titles being "fuzzy" but it seems it is a limitation to the DVD format and the particular player and its connection to the TV (or so say's a search of this topic on the forum, other's had the same issues). While I would have liked razor sharp images the final output looked acceptable. Strange but the old program I used in the past (Memories on TV) didn't have a soft appearance to it? Either way, I'm happy with it. Thanks for your input and suggestions!

Return to PSG - General Discussion