Soft images, please help

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Re: Soft images, please help

Postby hcajones » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:43 am

What briancbb says is consistent with my vague understanding, which is that no matter what I do inside ProShow, the quality of the DVD image is limited by the DVD burning process itself.

But this takes me back to my original problem. I have burned DVD slideshows using two other programs, PhotoShop and Wondershare. ProShow leaves both of them in the dust, in my opinion, with regard to user friendliness (after a fairly steep initial learning curve) and options, but I can't figure out why the ProShow DVD image quality is so soft. It's much softer (fuzzier) than DVDs created with the other two programs. The most recent DVD I created used entirely digital photos (not scanned photos) at high resolutions which I did not resize down before making the slideshow.

I am watching the DVDs on a 1880 TV using a Blu Ray player that upscales the DVD, and even then, the images are soft.

Anybody have any idea why?

Thanks again.

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:07 am

Have you tried the suggestions, burning DVD's each time to see if anything worked?

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:25 am

I said:
And YES! Change the software resolution to something much higher than what you have. It should, however, be compatible with what your system is capable of doing. If you're using 1024 by 768, chose that. If you monitor has a resolution 1680 x 1050, use that. But, you can use just about anything you want. 800x600 is going to give you really soft resolution. DVD resolution is only 720x480 (at 29.97 fps) ... but if you ever play it on a PC, you want a much crisper res when the EXE plays.

Brianbb said:
The maximum pixel resolution if you are in a PAL country is 720 x 576 pixels, and for NTSC 720 x 480, this is roughly 20 pixel to the inch on a 50* TV!

Bottom line: Change the SOFTWARE RENDER RESOLUTION. Otherwise, accept what you are now getting and press on. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you DO NOT change the resolution you will always have soft images. Forget what the limits of the DVD resolutions are ... it's not really germane. Improving the s/w render res is going to improve the DVD output as well (and won't be a limiting factor). Just do it. :shock:

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Dale wrote:Bottom line: Change the SOFTWARE RENDER RESOLUTION. Otherwise, accept what you are now getting and press on. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you DO NOT change the resolution you will always have soft images. Forget what the limits of the DVD resolutions are ... it's not really germane. Improving the s/w render res is going to improve the DVD output as well (and won't be a limiting factor). Just do it.

I agree here with Dale, if the rendering resolution is not optimum to start with, then you will get a softer DVD image, despite the already low resolution of a DVD. A UK saying, "You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear", springs to mind.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby hcajones » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks. I will change the rendering resolution as suggested and see what happens.

Postby hcajones » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:52 am

I've tried all the suggesetions but they made no difference in the quality of the DVD images. Still very soft. Apparently, that's just the way it is.

Thanks for all the thoughtful suggestions.

Previous

Return to PSG - General Discussion