Running Out Of CPU I think

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Running Out Of CPU I think

Postby memories2010 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:53 pm

I am making a 45 minute DVD Slideshow using PSG4. My problem is that I don't have enough RAM (1MB) and my processor is too small. I finally got to burn this large show to DVD but on playback, some of the scrolling text is jumpy and the music hangs up in spots. I know that my system is too small for this but does anyone know of a trick or shortcut to allow more computer power to make this show? I have already done things like defrag and cleaned out temp files and cookies. I also run a program called Games Booster which cuts down some un-needed programs and give the computer more power. Any suggestions other than buying a new computer?

Re: Running Out Of CPU I think

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:30 pm

Unless the skips are in the same spot each time, the problem is not with your system (although it is indeed limited), but more likely a problem reading the data from the DVD. Poor quality media will give those symptoms almost every time since the player is unable to read the data fast enough from the disk. I use the Taiyo Yuden Premium disks, but others have reported good results with the Verbatim disks - you might search the forum here for several discussions of good media. Some players are also quite picky as to which media works best with them although the newer ones seem to do a better job of handling different media. One thing you can try is to create ("burn") to an ISO file instead (you just select create ISO file in the menu where you select which burner to use) then install and use the free Imgburn utility with the "verify" option checked - it will tell you about any read errors as well as showing you what the read speed was. Also burning at a slower speed (when going to actual media) has been known to help in marginal cases.

I would also give serious consideration to increasing the amount of ram in your system - laptops can be harder to upgrade, but most desktop systems can accept more memory. Check out Cruicial or Kingston memory - they both have a utility you can download/run that will identify your system and tell you how much ram you have, how much you can put in it and what they will charge for the memory.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby memories2010 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Thank you so much for the information. I know I need a computer upgrade but not in the financial plan right now. One thing for sure, I will not do a show that is this long again. It wasn't for me...doing a friend a favor.

I will explore your suggestions and see what happens. I need to learn more about ISO and how to make and use them. Thanks again.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:52 pm

To build on what Mikey says, your computer may not be able to handle ProShow without a lot of interruptions, but the completed DVD will likely play much better in a stand-alone DVD player. This will help you get around the limited resources of your machine. Burn a disk and play it in a player and see what happens.

Regards,
-Vernon

Return to PSG - General Discussion