Uploaded Slideshows on Photodex

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Re: Uploaded Slideshows on Photodex

Postby Floyd » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:09 am

Better to read?

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:46 am

In general, there is nothing you need to know about all the files in the temp folder since they are (supposedly) temp files. In our case, what we are looking for is the one that should appear when you click on a show link to view it - presenter should create a file in the temp folder by the name psg???.tmp or something similar to that - what we want to determine is a) does it start to download the file? b) does it get all the file downloaded ? I would switch to the detail view of the folder and click on the "date modified" column to sort by the most recent file (makes it easier to find the temp files we are looking for). Note that when you exit presenter (in the browser window for example) any temp file it has downloaded gets deleted so it is only visible while the browser is trying to view the show file.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Floyd » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:13 pm

Mikey,

Yes, clicking on my slideshow creates a .tmp file called fpb.tmp and another named psg7D4B.tmp. If I try to delete the fpb.tmp file it will not delete because it is being used by flash. Shutting down flash process and I can delete this file. The other file goes away when I exit the viewer and my slideshow never loads or plays.

Opening a slideshow from the "Sample Shows & Feedback" will also produce two files similar in name in the temp folder, however, this slideshow will play.

No answers so far, only more confusion.

Postby osharr » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Floyd , don't have a clue but did you try to disable your anti - virus and try the process ?
Ollie
If it ain't broke , don't fix it !

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Hmm - two interesting tidbits there - the first, the "fpb.tmp" (or anything like it) is never created in my temp directory (XP pro) when I click on your show. For the second file, you missed part of the process - while I understand your show isn't playing for you, how big does that psg???.tmp file get ? does it grow to the 11,025 KB ? or does it hang at some other size. I wonder what the flash file is for since I don't remember ever seeing it before and it does not show up in my machine here. I realize the psg??.tmp file goes away as you indicated - I had said that in my post - that is why you need to look at the temp file properties BEFORE exiting presenter to see if it downloaded the whole file.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby trulytango » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:45 pm

Floyd - here's a quick step-by-step

Load your show as normal

Whilst that is loading, open that Temp folder and view/display the contents in 'Details' view, and click on the 'Date Modified' in the column header... your temp/still loading show should now be at the top of the list - make a note of its file size

Watch for a few more moments and make a note of the file size... is it growing? If nothing is happening you should refresh that Temp folder (or at least exit it and go back in).

Keep note of the file size, if indeed it is growing at all... because Mikey is asking you to monitor progress of your show whilst it is loading elsewhere.

Does it ever get to the completely loaded state? Mikey has assessed this to be 11,025KB?

Get back and let us know :wink:
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Here we go...

I cleared my temp folder of everything except the two files listed and the reason why Windows could not delete the files is showing in the information boxes.

While loaded my show "America The Beautiful" and before exiting Presenter, my temp folder looks like this, and the file does not grow in size. (yellow highlight added)

In the folder starting with {B3DE2155 is the flash file that can not be deleted,

unless I stop the flash process.

This is my temp folder after I have exited Presenter and closed my browser.

Additional Insight

Yesterday while logged on to my Photodex account I clicked the "Share" button and clicked "Email". I sent three copies of "America The Beautiful" to my mother-in-law, my son Mike, and my computer guru Randy. Randy builds and host web sites, knows HTML 5 and believes all web site should be pure HTML. He would not install an unknown executable file, Presenter, on his main machine but he does have a machine just for testing that is formatted and gets a fresh install of Window XP several times a week. Nothing on this computer except Windows XP.

My mother-in-law uses Windows 7 Home, and she could see the slideshow thumbnail, she did install Presenter and when attempting to view the show could not get past the spinning ball. My son used a Windows XP machine and could only see the processing message and never made progress past that point. On Randy"s XP test machine he got the same results as my son.

As you are well aware the time needed to make a post like this with all the screenshots is very time consuming and I am becoming very disalousioned about hosting slideshows on Photodex and using Presenter.

From Norton Insight

I am not saying I don't want anymore input, if you have any ideas I will follow-up.
Floyd...
Last edited by Floyd on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:59 pm

This is my temp folder while watching "Fun In The Dunes", which I borrowed for testing purposes from the "Sample Shows and Feedback" forum.

Hope that is O.K.

The temp files equals the size of the show.

Please pardon my language but this is "BS". Why can I watch other member's shows but I can't see my own or share my slideshows with my family and friends.

I am getting angry, please calm me down with the answer!!!

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:29 am

I'm surprised to see that AAM Notifier is running and refusing to allow you to delete a file. The notifier is part of Adobe updates. It probably has nothing to do with your problem, but nevertheless, the fact that it was open and running surprises me.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:21 am

I'm with Barbara here - it is surprising that AAM Notifier was running, however the key thing we have found here is that Presenter is NOT downloading the file. As you noted for the other show you tried, it does download the file as expected (then delete it when you exit the browser/pxplay). What version of Gold are you running ? The latest (assuming you are within your year) is 5.0.3256 and I noticed that your version of pxplay was 5.0.3222 (which is not the latest - 3256 is the latest). I will send you a PM with my email address - try sending me the link the same way you sent it to the relatives yesterday that didn't work for them. At this point, it appears that pxplay is not able to download the show for some reason. I understand how frustrated you are getting, but I have only heard of one other case where something like this has happened - usually we see a firewall setting or something that blocks all shows. Anyway, send me the same link you tried yesterday.

mikey

Postby Floyd » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:51 am

I used control panel to uninstall Presenter Version 5.00.0.3222. Logged on to my account and clicked on one of my slideshows. I was asked to install Presenter and I did. The version was the same 5.00.0.3222. If this is not the latest version, why...

My Gold version is 5.0.3256.

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:02 am

I just checked my pxplay file, and it's 3256. However, I somehow doubt it would make much difference if it were the slightly older version.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:41 pm

I would also expect it not to be a big difference, HOWEVER, if it did indeed download presenter as indicated from the Photodex site, how did he end up with 3222 ? I would have expected 3256 to be the one on the Photodex site and get installed. I would not have expected 3222 to be available on the Photodex site (although I may be wrong on that - only they would know how that part of the process works for sure). Unfortunately, I expect they are at the BBQ today :-) (meanwhile, I have a dog that is starting to go nuts with the booms ... sigh - going to be a long night I think :cry: ) There is one tool I am familiar with that can tell us what is going on, but that takes a bit of work to sort through all that is going on (Processmon from Microsoft (used to be Sysinternals) will tell you everything going on in the file system and you can filter on the process for example, but it still takes quite a bit of sorting to see the files download via TCP etc) although, we may have to resort to that if all else fails on figuring out why it does not load the .px file.

mikey

Postby Floyd » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:28 am

Thanks Mikey, I have installed Process Monitor.

You are correct, it is confusing. I have included a screenshot. I am not sure if it is clear enough to read on a computer screen

Mikey you did not mention the email I sent you from within Photodex. I was curious about the email address you gave me because it ended with .nete instead of the usual .net. Did you receive the link and can you view "America The Beautiful"?

Floyd...

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:44 am

Sigh - you are correct - my fat fingers got in the way - comcast.net was the correct ending. there is no "e" on the end. My bad :roll:

Process monitor is not for the faint of heart, but it can tell us what is going on - when I run it then click on a show, I can see pxplay.exe open the file in the temp directory, download the chunks via TCP then close the file (with lots of steps in between). What we need to figure out is what part of that process is failing on your end since we know you can connect because you can view other shows and we know your show is valid because others can watch it. I do wish I had an easy answer (well it may be easy when we find it, but the process certainly isn't simple :shock: )

mikey

PreviousNext

Return to PSG - General Discussion