Going out of sync

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Going out of sync

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:14 am

Last night while watching a movie, I encountered something I've seen before, which is that about halfway through the movie, the sound started going out of sync, and by the end of the movie, it was pretty darned bad. Is this a function of my player or is it a problem in the DVD itself? If I were to create a super-long slide show, would this out-of-sync behavior occur no matter what player I was using? If it's a function of where on the physical disk the information is placed and I had, say, ten shows all packed onto a single disk, would the last shows to be burned be likely to go out of sync?

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:45 pm

Barbara
One thing you did not state was, is this a commercial DVD. A DVD contains the audio and video stream in in a .vob file (actually it also includes and subtitle information). As this is one stream of data it is extremely unlikely that it is a problem with the DVD player.

If the DVD was 'home produced' it is possible that the audio and video streams were not combined correctly. This particularly occurs with slow processors. A few years ago processors had a hard job keeping up with the burn speed of a DVD burner, and data was dropped. This is not so much a problem now with 'smart' burners.

If it was a commercial DVD I'd take it back for a refund.

Brian

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:56 pm

Brian, it was a commercial DVD that was rented at the video store, and it happened to be "Across the Universe," the musical done entirely with Beatles tunes. Toward the end, a mouth would open and maybe half a second later the song would begin. It's disconcerting enough when it's dialogue, but when it's singing, you can be seriously thrown off balance.

So anyway, you're saying that, though I shouldn't be experiencing this with a commercial DVD, I might come up against it with one that I burn myself?

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Barbara

In my experience you should not get this from a commercial DVD.

The player reads one stream of data from the DVD. This data is a combined video and audio (multiplexed is the term) and the data has to be in synchronisation, unless it was combined (multiplexed) incorrectly. Your player would only see it go out of sync if it was multiplexed incorrectly.

As far as DVD's made by yourself, unless your computer is several years old and your DVD writer is not a 'smart' burn, you will have no problems. In days gone by if the processor was slow, and the DVD burner burnt at a constant speed you could have sync problems.

Now days, processors are faster, and also the burner is smart and slows the burn speed if the processor does not keep up (the data buffer is getting low).

I now burn a DVD, surf the net, and maybe be downloading a file at the same time and have no DVD problems. OK I have a Core2Duo Intel processor, but at 2.4Ghz its not the fastest. (maybe one day I'll try rendering in PSP and burning just to see what happens :lol: )

Brian

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:02 pm

My standard reply -- burning to an iso avoids the trying to keep up with the
DVD rate issue :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:20 am

You are soooo right Mikey ... again :lol:

Forgot to add that one.

If you write an ISO the harddrive, the harddrive has no problem in keeping in time with processor. When burning the ISO to a DVD burner there is no additional work for the processor to do so it can supply the data at the rate the DVD burner requires it.

So never worry about your 'burning issues' Barbara.

Brian

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:02 am

Brian, I think our computers are twins.

Mikey, the problem with using an ISO instead of something like DVD Architect is that the resulting quality of the former is less than that of the latter. Or is Architect first creating an ISO before the burning begins?

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:19 am

You can also create an ISO from DVD Arch. ISO is not a Proshow thing - it
is a common format available for a lot of things (in fact, I just downloaded
an ISO for ubuntu Linux Live - burned to a CD works fine). An ISO
is just an intermediate format that can save you from some other issues
(like trying to keep up with a burn or something). Reminds me - saw there
was a new version of the free imgburn utility out there - haven't tried it yet.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:34 am

Then I'll have to putter about, burning a show both ways in DVD Architect and see if there's any difference. The proof is in the puttering.

Barbara

Postby cherub » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:44 am

gpsmikey wrote: Reminds me - saw there
was a new version of the free imgburn utility out there - haven't tried it yet.
mikey

I saw this too, and was thinking of posting here, but I haven't tried it either.
Seems to be able to do all sorts of other good things apart from ISO, and
people were very happy with these new features.
From my favorite site:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Im ... 28426215/1

Valued Member

Postby gus607 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:15 am

Imgburn everytime !!

Return to Odds & Ends