My Friend Sam

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Site Admin

Update

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:31 am

I thought I'd provide a short update since many of you have asked.

Sam is in the middle of his 3rd chemo treatment and is having a difficult time at the moment. Each successive treatment seems to be worse than the previous one, and timing it all around the holidays has been difficult. The good news is that he is getting better. Scans taken early last week show that the cancerous tumors are shrinking and that he should be done with the chemo after the 4th cycle. If all goes as anticipated, he'll be finished with chemotherapy by the end of January.

Sam and his family want to extend their thanks to everyone who pitched in with donations from purchasing some of my photos. Below is a list of what each cycle of chemo requires:

These are the cost for one Cycle of Chemo (5 days worth unless noted differently)

* Initial Infusion $3,110.00
* IV Secuential $3,030.00
* Therapeutic Injection $765.00
* Bleomycin $2,268.00
* Cisplatin $2,350.00
* Etoposide $930.00
* Dexamenthasone $50.00
* Kytril $1,250.00
* Magnesium $120.00
* Neulasta (1 shot) $7,031.00
* Potassium $200.00

* Grand Total $21,104.00

Their insurance covers roughly 90% of that, but as you can see, it's still quite expensive for each treatment. This doesn't include the costs of scans, bloodwork, other testing, pain medications, etc. With help from those of you from this forum and other friends and thoughtful folks, along with what my wife and I chipped in, we were able to cover a little more than one cycle of treatment. Needless to say, this helped out more than they could have imagined. Thank you to everyone for helping out!

On a side note, Sam played in a 24 hour ice hockey fundraiser in Denver last summer to help the local children's hospital. He plans on playing again this next June and I have signed up to play as well. It should be a great time that we're both looking forward to.

Happy Holidays!

Mike

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:47 am

Thanks for the update Mike -- sounds like Sam has some real friends in his court
helping fight. That often makes the difference between the will to live or not.

Mike Fields (aka mikey)
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby nannybear » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:15 pm

I can't believe how expensive it is! Holy Moly! wish him all the best for me, hugs Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:25 pm

Thanks for the update Mike on your friend Sam. How good it must be to have friends who are REAL friends.

However those prices do make me glad to be in the UK where treatment is free. We may have to wait a bit for non-urgent treatment to start, but it does not take our life savings. Those prices are unbelievable.

All the very best to Sam and I'm pleased that the treatment is having a positive effect. Having had friends in a similar situation I know chemo is not a very pleasent treatment.

Brian

Postby marmart » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:25 pm

Thanks Mike - I will continue to hold him close in prayer.

Mary

Postby hiloduffer35 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:22 pm

I know you don't have to tell him to HANG IN THERE! Full recovery has no price limit! Neither does being around to see the kids grow up! He is in our prayers.
Elizabeth

Site Admin

Update!

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:00 pm

This announcement was posted on Sam's blog this morning:

Jen and I visited with Dr. Reznick yesterday and the cancer is gone. According to the scan, there is still a small (3mm)mass in my left lung and Reznick is pretty clear that it is scar tissue and nothing to worry about. I will now start to see Dr. Reznick once a month and have scans every 2 months for the first year. After that, the visits will become every 3 months, then every 6 months and this will go on for 5 years. If there are no signs of the cancer during the next 4-5 years, they will officially declare the cancer in remission.

I'm not sure where to start in thanking people as there are so many and I fear leaving anyone out. What I would like to do is make a very honest statement and that is to thank everyone who has supported us as it would have been much harder without your contribution.

Thank you to everyone here at the forum that has put Sam and his family into their thoughts!

Mike

Postby hiloduffer35 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:12 pm

Your info from Sam MADE MY DAY!!!!! Give him our congratulations and our best wishes for continued good health!
Elizabeth

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:16 pm

That is GREAT NEWS! That made my day as well. Thanks so much for the update.

Hugs, Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Postby Jerry Cole » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:04 pm

Super News!
Thanks for keeping us posted.
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:16 pm

Wonderful news ... thanks for keeping us up to date.

I hope all keeps well in the coming months and years.

Brian

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:33 pm

People close to me have gone through this and come out whole and healthy at the other end. The kind of joy that goes with such news is hard to measure. Sam will still be going through a lot--the psychological buildup prior to each and every scan is tough--so he should still be remembered and cheered on.

Barbara

Postby marmart » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:58 pm

That is the best news I have heard in a long time!! Thanks so much Mike for keeping us in the loop.

Regards!

Mary

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Thanks for the update Mike - I'm glad Sam is doing better. Always
encouraging to get at least one piece of good news a day :D :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby srq102 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:35 am

Wonderful news Mike. Thanks for the update

PreviousNext

Return to Odds & Ends