My Friend Sam

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Site Admin

My Friend Sam

Postby MG - Admin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:15 am

I've debated on posting this for several days now, but have decided to go ahead and do so.

I have a very close friend of mine that lives in Colorado. He was recently diagnosed with cancer and began chemotherapy treatment last week. His prognosis is good, but he's been having a difficult time with the chemo and some other issues that have arisen due to the types of treatment he is undergoing. Despite his bad days, he has a very positive attitude towards his current situation and has maintained his sense of humor through it all. His family, friends and doctors all believe he will beat this, but know that he is going to have some bad days ahead. He maintains a daily blog for family and friends so they can keep up with his progress without having to repeat the story several times to each individual that asks how he's doing. While I'm inspired by his strength, I'm also saddened by the struggles that he has been dealing with. Being so far away is difficult because I want to be there for my friend. He knows my wife and I are thinking of him, though, so it helps a little. More importantly, he has a loving wife and two beautiful daughters that are providing him much needed support. He is a fantastic individual and is one of the sincerest people you would ever hope to meet.

The reason for my post is that with all of the scans, medication, chemo treatments, etc., my friend has been hit with a lot of medical bills. He has very good insurance, but even with only having to pay roughly 10% of the costs involved, he's already been charged several thousand dollars. He's only started his treatments, and there are other costs that will continue to build up over the next several months, or years. He is not in danger of losing his home or anything bad like that, so I don't want to give the wrong impression. It is still a huge strain that he doesn't need to be worrying about while he's working on regaining his good health. The holidays are fast approaching and I wondered if there's something I could do to help out.

Okay, to try and shorten this up a bit, here's what I'm doing. If you aren't aware already, I have another web site that I use to display my photographs. Most of the photos are from trips that my wife and I have been on, but there are a few other albums that aren't travel related. In any case, there is an option to purchase the photos if so desired. I would never ask for donations without offering something in return. If anyone would be interested in purchasing any of the photos I have, the payments will be automatically deposited directly into my friend's PayPal account until the 15th of December. Costs for shipping the photos will be redirected back into my own personal PayPal account so they can be covered.

I don't want anyone purchasing a photo if they are not financially able to do so. Granted, they are not expensive, but I know money is tight for a lot of folks and I most definitely don't want anyone feeling obligated to help out just because I asked. There are plenty of other people in situations worse than my friends' that need more help. If you'd rather help them I would encourage it. I'm fortunate that I have a pretty large network of people in my area that have already contributed. I've gone back and forth on this, but there's a huge resource by way of this forum and felt it was an area I should try to tap into. I've never asked for donations to help support the running of this site, and never will. I'm doing what I can to help a friend out, and thought a little help here would be okay.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I promise it's the last time I'll be mentioning it. If you have any questions, please e-mail me or send me a Private Message.

Okay, now you can go back to debating the pricing/upgrade policy of Photodex. :D

Mike

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:32 am

Mike, I'm not financially in a position to help out, but I have lots of good thoughts to send Sam's way, and I've learned not to discount those "good vibrations." Ten years ago, my sister-in-law survived what was supposed to have been fatal leukemia, and I believe it didn't hurt that an entire town focused its good energy on her. After that, my son was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and friends of mine as far away as Italy sent him thoughts of healing. My son is here today to prove that those good thoughts worked. And now my best friend is struggling through treatment for lymphoma. She helped heal my son, and now I'm helping to heal her.

I'm glad you included a photo of Sam because I can envision him as I send him thoughts of wellness.

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby iknowwhereitis123 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:21 pm

Hi Mike, I know I am new here so you don't really know me yet but I know how you feel. I do. I am so sorry that your friend is having troubles. I am in a similar situation with my niece. She left here almost 2 weeks ago for a lung transplant in St. Louis. She is only 15 months old. The insurance runs out in December. We are doing fundraisers like crazy right now and I have learned that every donation, no matter how big or small can help. I would love to send you a couple bucks for your friend and I want nothing in return. I do have a problem though, I dont use pay pal or anything but do you have a PO Box or something that I can send a check to?
Also what I have learned...we set up a bank account in her name..big mistake, if you want more info, you can PM me.

Barb, you are so right... it is amazing what good thoughts and or prayers can do! I am so happy you had such a good result!

Sue

Postby srq102 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:06 pm

Hi Mike,

Please give my warmest regards to Sam and his family and I will tell my sisters and brothers to put Sam on their church prayer list to.
My sister recently passed from cancer. Also within the past 6 weeks , 2 friends of mine were diagnosed, 1 with breast cancer and the other with liver and pancreatic cancer. So I know how you feel. You feel helpless and the need to try to do something.

I did buy one of your photos. I'm not saying this to brag but thought it might encourage others that are financially able to help.
Also please pray or send your good vibrations & positive thoughts to Sherie & Dale my 2 friends

Thanks
Rick G

The former white house secreatry wrote something that really hits home. This might in someway be a comfort to your friend Sam as well as others, I know it was a comfort for me to read it
See below

The moment you enter the Valley of the Shadow of Death, things change. You discover that Christianity is not something doughy, passive, pious, and soft. Faith may be the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. But it also draws you into a world shorn of fearful caution. The life of belief teems with thrills, boldness, danger, shocks, reversals, triumphs, and epiphanies. Think of Paul, traipsing through the known world and contemplating trips to what must have seemed the antipodes ( Spain ), shaking the dust from his sandals, worrying not about the morrow, but only about the moment.

There's nothing wilder than a life of humble virtue, - for it is through selflessness and serv ice that God wrings from our bodies and spirits the most we ever could give, the most we ever could offer, and the most we ever could do.

Finally, we can let love change everything. When Jesus was faced with the prospect of crucifixion, he grieved not for himself, but for us. He cried for Jerusalem before entering the holy city. From the Cross, he took on the cumulative burden of human sin and weakness, and begged for forgiveness on our behalf.

We get repeated chances to learn that life is not about us, that we acquire purpose and satisfaction by sharing in God's love for others. Sickness gets us part way there. It reminds us of our limitations and dependence. But it also gives us a chance to serve the healthy. A minister friend of mine observes that people suffering grave afflictions often acquire the faith of two people, while loved ones accept the burden of two peoples' worries and fears.

'Le arning How to Live'. Most of us have watched friends as they drifted toward God's arms, not with resignation, but with peace and hope. In so doing, they have taught us not how to die, but how to live. They have emulated Christ by transmitting the power and authority of love.

I sat by my best friend's bedside a few years ago as a wasting cancer took him away. He kept at his table a worn Bible and a 1928 edition of the Book of Common Prayer. A shattering grief disabled his family, many of his old friends, and at least one priest. Here was an humble and very good guy, someone who apologized when he winced with pain because he thought it made his guest uncomfortable. He retained his equanimity and good humor literally until his last conscious moment. "I'm going to try to beat [this cancer]," he told me several months before he died. "But if I don't, I'll see you on the other side."

His gift was to remind everyone around him that even though God doesn't promise us tomorr ow, he does promise us eternity, - filled with life and love we cannot comprehend, - and that one can in the throes of sickness point the rest of us toward timeless truths that will help us weather future storms.

Through such trials, God bids us to choose: Do we believe, or do we not? Will we be bold enough to love, daring enough to serve, humble enough to submit, and strong enough to acknowledge our limitations? Can we surrender our concern in things that don't matter so that we might devote our remaining days to things that do?

When our faith flags, he throws reminders in our way. Think of the prayer warriors in our midst. They change things, and those of us who have been on the receiving end of their petitions and intercessions know it. It is hard to describe, but there are times when suddenly the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, and you feel a surge of the Spirit. Somehow you just know: Others have chosen, when talking to the Author of all creation, to l ift us up, - to speak of us!

This is love of a very special order. But so is the ability to sit back and appreciate the wonder of every created thing. The mere thought of death somehow makes every blessing vivid, every happiness more luminous and intense. We may not know how our contest with sickness will end, but we have felt the ineluctable touch of God.

What is man that Thou art mindful of him? We don't know much, but we know this: No matter where we are, no matter what we do, no matter how bleak or frightening our prospects, each and every one of us who believe, each and every day, lies in the same safe and impregnable place, in the hollow of God's hand." T. Snow

Postby dtpitts » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:07 pm

Mike,

I am glad that you did post this message. Your friend Sam is lucky to have you as a friend in these hard times. My prayers will go out for Sam and his family. I know how hard it is and will be... my Mom is dealing with her second round of cancer. Prayers and a positive attitude will take him far.

I would like to be able to give a donation for your friend, it may be small but every little bit will help out! I have learned so much from this wonderful site that you provide and it makes me happy to in turn do something for you that makes you happy!!
I do have a PayPal account, so if you could let me know how that could be done, that would be great. Or I can send a check.

Thanks for all you do for all of us here!

Teresa
:)

Postby marmart » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:06 am

Hi Mike - what a wonderful friend you are.

I also would like to send a check or pay pal amount to a fund that may be set up?? Please let us know. I loved your gallery - Oh the places you've been!

Peace,

Mary

Me, too

Postby hiloduffer35 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:51 am

I also have a PayPal account and would like to go though that. Please advise the procedure for a donation.
Elizabeth

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:47 am

I'd like to thank everyone that has contacted me. I really appreciate the well wishes and generosity!

For those that have asked, if you prefer not to purchase a photo but make a donation instead, the easiest way to do this is to select a photo for purchase and when checking out, select the "Pick Up-NoShip" option (see image below) from the Shipping and Handling options. This will eliminate shipping charges from the order and also let me know that you don't want the photo shipped to you. The PayPal transaction for checking out also allows non-PayPal members to pay via credit card, so this should take care of everyone.

I'm going to continue responding to individuals via Private Message rather than in this thread so if you have a specific question or comment look for a response in your inbox.

Thanks again!

Mike

andy

Postby andy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:25 pm

Thank you Mike for asking us.

andy

Postby HunnyB » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:58 am

Mike - your friend is blessed to have you in his life.
Thanks for posting this. Wish I could help, but our family
is in a medical crisis too. My husband's sister was just
diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. They have already asked for
money from us. Of course we did what we could. Looks like
we are going to have to help them more in the "short" future.

HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Site Admin

Follow Up

Postby MG - Admin » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:17 pm

Tomorrow my friend Sam goes in to start his second round of chemo. Thankfully, the schedule allowed him to have a nice Thanksgiving holiday with his family without having to do too much other than go in and have some blood drawn in preparation for the second cycle of chemo. Some of his treatment had to be altered due to bad reactions, but hopefully he'll have a better time this round.

His family would like to thank everyone that has sent their well wishes. They very much appreciate hearing from friends and family, as well as from the well wishers from cyber space.

Here is a photo taken from Thanksgiving day:

I personally want to thank again all that have helped out with the purchases of photos, and also to those that have sent their well wishes!

Mike

Postby nannybear » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:59 am

Sam, you look fabulous!!!!!

Please pass that on for me Mike. My thoughts and prayers will be with him. Hugs Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Best wishes

Postby Penny47 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:57 am

Mike,

I just wish I had enough funds to help. but live on a very limited budget. However my thoughts and prayers are with Sam and his family. Please pass on my best wishes to him. You are certainly one of a kind and a very good friend. I shall check out your photos as I have not done so.

Penny

For Sam

Postby Jerry Cole » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:07 pm

Mike,
You did well to post this item ... Its a terrific idea Mike. My prayers are with Sam and his family.
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Postby jeanc » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:19 pm

Mike,
Sam and his family are in my prayers also. What a great friend you are to share this so others can offer what help they can. Prayer is powerful and you can never have too many in your behalf. I too, am not in a position to help financially but I can certainly remember Sam in my prayers and will include him in our class at church and in our small group we belong to.

Thanks for sharing this with us and my prayers are with you also!

Jean

Next

Return to Odds & Ends