Audio Problems During Preview

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
vciro

Audio Problems During Preview

Postby vciro » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:03 am

For months now I have had a problem with my soundtracks in Producer. Finally, after working with a fellow named Brian at the Photodex Help desk, it is solved.

The symptom of the problem is that when I preview a show (any show) the soundtrack plays for a second or two, then cuts out for a few seconds and then comes back in for the remainder of the show and plays fine. If I uploaded the show to the Photodex Site or created an Executable file or DVD, the sound was fine. It was only during Preview Mode from within Producer that I had this issue. I went nuts trying to solve this on my own.

Well apparently, there is a small executable file that many people have in their startup files. It is called CTHelper.exe and is commonly associated with any "Creative Labs" (Soundblaster, etc.) Sound Card. This file is not really needed in the startup but if it's there, can cause some really weird audio problems in Pro Show Gold, Producer and apparently other programs.

The solution was simple. I removed this file from my startup files and the problem was gone.

I thought I would post this in case anyone else encounters any "weird" sound problems in PSG or PSP. If you do, this might be a good place to start.

Semper Fi,

poitin

Thanks

Postby poitin » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:25 am

Thanks a lot vciro for posting. Producer worked fine with the SB drivers until I had to reinstall my machine.
After downloading the latest driver package from creative I had the same symptoms as you've described.

Your solution proved to be the answer!

Time for an other soundcard? :lol:

jcka

Postby jcka » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:58 pm

I also have this issue. How do I remove CTHelper.exe from my startup files?

vciro

Postby vciro » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:35 am

Assuming you are using Windows, close all your programs and just have the Desktop. Click on the START box at the botton left of your screen. Then click RUN. A small screen will come up. Type in MSCONFIG and click OK. A screen will open that is called "System Configuration Utility". Click on the TAB that says Startup and scroll to the line that shows CTHELPER.EXE. Just un-check the box on the left and hit OK. Then reboot your computer and you should be good to go.

Semper Fi,
Vinny

Return to Odds & Ends