Slide show peeves?

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
billharden

Slide show peeves?

Postby billharden » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:29 pm

I just got a few lessons in slide show pet peeves. I was browsing around on this forum and came across something Mike had written to someone who was asking for an honest appraisal of a website. His solicited advise was very helpful to me. Now I'm wondering what the rest of you think? What are YOUR pet "slide show," peeves?
BTW I mean artistic peeves, and not software problems.
Thanks
Billy

Postby Jerry Cole » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:01 pm

Billy,
No real "pet peeves". I guess it all depends on the context of the show and the intended audience.

Some shows I like a lot of movement .... others seem best presented minimalistically (is that a word?). Some shows can handle lots of transitions, others need to pull in the reins a bit. Some shows have excellent photography, others don't have that luxury or skill.

If there is a pet peeve it is in not addressing the show to the intended audience, or just putting slides, music, transitions, etc together without a continuity of purpose. But I see very little of that in this venue. Most of the people (even newbies) who post seem to be genuinely interested in learning and improving their skills or are trying to assist others.

Did I get off the track, or is this what you meant?
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

ProShow Hall of Fame

Ahh, maybe a little one...

Postby hardsoftware » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:19 am

Well, lets see, I do like using templates and some of the uploaded templates in this forum, but if and when I do use them, specifically if they are someone elses creation, I will NOT post the show on this forum. It just seems that when someone uploads a template, within a couple of weeks shows will be posted that look identical to the point that you can tell who made the template. The only difference is the photos.

Thats just me though. :wink:

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

billharden

Pet Peeves

Postby billharden » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:39 pm

Thanks Guys,
I really have learned a lot since I stumbled onto this forum. You folks are very helpful and generous with your time.
Thanks for sharing.
Bill Harden

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:35 am

Pet peeve?

Shows that don't tell a story.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby Brenda » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:33 am

Lots of small 'photos spinning and moving all over the screen for no reason other than it can be done.

Brenda

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:43 am

And another:

Forum user photos with suit and tie, looking like a cheap real estate agent! Ugh! ;-) ;-)

PS. Don't get me wrong....I wear a suit for work too (I've been told I clean up well). Just scary to see on the PSE forum is all.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Postby cherub » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:48 am

I'm afraid I have quite a lot: :roll:

Static shows - a screen with a frame in with pictures are inserted, and nothing else.
Shows built entirely on templates from this site, with a multitude of pictures moving in all directions.
Animations which look unnatural, and/or in poor resolution.
The use of Producer for things it was not intended for, (such as gif animations), and vice versa,
Not using Producer for what it was intended - shows with motion, pan, zoom and effects.

There are many programs that create shows from still pictures. Producer is the most features rich one. I hate to see shows that can be done in any other program (usually cheaper too).

billharden

suit and tie, looking like a cheap real estate

Postby billharden » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:13 pm

Hey'
Cheap is right. A good pair of blue jeans and a pair of cowboy boots, would set you back a lot more than my business suit.
Regards
Billy :P

Return to Odds & Ends